Saturday, March 17, 2007

The brutality of a 'teenage crush'

Way back many years ago there was a young singer named Tommy Sands. His ‘people’ for a time tried to hype him as the next Elvis. He was a good looking lad and didn’t have a bad voice, but something about him failed to capture the public’s attention and he, deservedly or not, faded into oblivion. His only other claim-to-fame, aside from his brief career as an adolescent crooner is that he was, for a while, married to Nancy Sinatra. And then one day her boots “walked all over” him.

I only mention Sands because I was thinking of possibly the only semi-notable song of his; a ditty called Teenage Crush. The message of the song is that the elders should not insult teens by passing off any protestations of love for another as “just a crush.”

I agree with whoever wrote the song. The word ‘crush’ is demeaning and insulting and, from my experience, the raptures of adolescent love are the most bittersweet we will ever experience in our lives. Some foolish and stuck-in-the-past people never get over them.

Starting from the time I was about 16 I had the crush of all crushes on a classmate. In fact it was my mother who referred to it as a “crush.” I knew better. This was the love of all loves. This was Romeo and Juliet stuff and parents and elders sometimes forget that R&J were barely in their mid-teens. With this girl, Sandy (Her real name. I doubt that she reads my blog so I think I’m safe in using it. Anyway, I am only going to say ‘nice’ things about her.)

Sandy was the real goods to me. She was an enchantress, and I was besotted, mad for her, and gobsmacked every time she walked into a classroom.

Her eyes are like heaven,
Her lips are divine.
Young love is tender, gentle and fine.
And everywhere I go, there you will find,
Sandy

So went a popular song of the day, and it was so painful to listen to it because that was where I wanted to be – at Sandy’s side.

She was a pretty girl. A brunette. She wore adorable pink angora sweaters and had a painful to speculate upon figure. She was a doll. The doll of all dolls – in my esteem. Actually, later, in looking at old yearbook photos she was relatively ordinary. Cute but not really outstanding. But to me, at 16, 17, and 18, she was heavenly. And, she had major creds. She was smart enough, had a very nice personality, was friendly and -- major points here at that time in history -- was head-cheerleader. In other words, she was considered a primo catch in a school of about 1,500 students. So I, of course, masochist that I am, went after her and only her.

Did it work out? Of course not. And it was painful; so very painful. I would become depressed. I could think only of her. I drank too much beer with a buddy one night and sobbed out my passion for the one-and-only Sandy. He advised that I should tell her about my feelings. The thought petrified me, but he suggested, “What the hell could it hurt? At least she’d know. You’d be no worse off than you are now.”

He was right. I acted upon the suggestion. Sandy was a good enough friend that she met me for a walk one day after school in my senior year. She looked a bit surprised when I declared me love. And then she hit me with: “I really, really like you and you’re a really nice guy and deserve just a great girl, and I would like us to be (wait for it) really good friends.” The unstated message was “we’re never going to be more than that.”

Ultimately my Sandy session was cathartic and it cleansed me a bit, and I moved on and within a few months was going steady with that absolutely "great girl."

I ran into Sandy about a dozen years later – quite by chance. We had a pleasant chat and it was good to see her.

And, you know, I didn't feel that much of anything other than the delight of running into a long-ago friend.

But, there was a time in which she was Cleopatra, Lady Godiva, Rita Hayworth and Marilyn Monroe all rolled up in one pink angora package. And don’t tell me those feelings weren’t true. To this day I know they were.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Vijay said...

Ian,
I agree totally.
My "crush" occurred a bit later - when I was in my late teens, and lasted till I was 24!!
She was a classmate and "good friend" in med school.
The thing that worked against me was the fact that I was 4 years younger than her. That she could not accept.
Oh well...
Like you so eloquently put in an earlier post, we deal with our losses and move on...
regards,
Vijay.(scan man's notes)

1:23 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

Sigh...

Crushes...loves...whatever you want to call them...don't they just make you feel all weird inside?

I know exactly what you are talking about, except my first big crush was my neighbor--the star of the football team. Granted, he and I were "great friends," but he was just bad enough to not want to date a good girl like me. Silly boy. LOL.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

What a delightful post Ian! It was great getting a little insight into your youth. First loves last forever it seems because you truly give your all and nothing the other person does , says or thinks could be wrong. Then we grow up and are a little more cautious with our hearts and we don't ever love quite that deeply again.

4:48 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

great post ian, and i love the words you use. besotted? gobsmacked? are they real words or ian-made up words? i'll look thru the dictionary later on.

8:52 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I don't know Ian. I guess we could argue the finer points all day, but to me that is the very definition of a crush. Love is part of a deep KNOWING and understanding between two people. Some people do have that in their teens, but what you describe is a crush. It was a sweet story.

11:41 PM  
Blogger sally in norfolk said...

many thanks for adding me to your blog roll...... I wont forget about the tulips....:-)

3:54 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Ah, my first major crush... It could never be. He was the cool guy, I was the nerd to end all nerds.

But actually, I don't think a crush is necessarily a love. To me a crush implies something that can never happen.

Or that will never happen because, well you wouldn't really want them to.

To this day, after 20 years with Mr. Jazz I still have regular crushes. Which I tell him about. Which we laugh over. But only one love.

This being said, I do think it's demeaning of adults to dismiss all adolescent love as simple crushes. Besides, the name says it all doesn't it?

Crush. Pain...

8:35 AM  
Blogger CS said...

Those aearly loves are powerful ones. Sounds like Sandy handled it kindly, though, which is a blessing.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home