Tuesday, April 03, 2007

How truthful are our memories?

“We human beings are nothing more than the sum of our memories – combined with hopes and aspirations.”

For the last year and a bit I have been writing a tale of the community in which I grew up. The project was originally intended to be a tongue-in-cheek spoof of the Vancouver suburb of Burnaby and what it meant to me in my childhood and youth. It would be a kind of semi-history and community sociological smartass bit of sarcasm and (hopefully) wit, and nothing more.

But, as many who have turned their energies to the nasty business of writing what they hope might turn into a book have found out, these things have a tendency to assume a life of their own. What was to have been a spoof has become something of a memoir of an earlier time. And memoirs by their nature involve memories, and once I found myself getting down into memory-lane, as it were, things took off from there. One incident would suggest another; a recollection of an early love interest would cast my mind back to the person; a recounting of a day in elementary school would bring back the smells, sounds, and sometimes the anxiety associated with the situation. Anxiety that had been long since forgotten, I thought, but then realized that the same anxieties still permeate my being. I am the sum of my parts.

I’m now nearing the end of the project, and am doing my basic editing. But, there is peril in that, too. I will come to a passage and realize there is more to it than what I have stated, so everything ends up being expanded upon.

And, what of those memories? How many are true. I cite an incident that took place in my senior year of high school in which the students, weary of an ever increasing set of rules and regulations imposed by a heartless and lacking-in-imagination principal came close to fomenting a riot one spring day. As follows is the way in which I recount the event:

“It was at just one of those aforementioned Monday assemblies that the principal’s fan became dung-splattered and the repercussions were huge. It was in the late spring, as I recall. We had been guilty (we were always guilty in the man’s little mind) of some sort of new malfeasance, and therefore we were to lose yet another privilege. The audience greeted his decree with silence. And then somebody – I have no idea who – began to stamp his feet on the gymnasium floor. And then another picked up on it. The stamping grew louder and louder until, or so it seemed, the entire gym was stamping in unison. Nixon, a look of panic crossing his face, raised his hands and demanded our silence; he uttered threats; he told us our conduct was disgraceful and that we would pay for it; he even threatened to call the police if we didn’t cease the behavior. His face blanched as students began rising up from their folding chairs and started to approach the stage. The man retreated, and his place was taken centre-stage by the vice-principal who appealed to us to calm down. We did, sort of, out of a certain respect for the veep. He exhorted us to go back to our homerooms. We shuffled back, taking as long as we wished to reach those destinations.”

Did it really happen like that? In my memory it did. The incident took me directly back to the time and it seemed like I was reliving it. Maybe my memory exaggerates. Maybe it was nowhere near as dramatic as I indicate. I wrestled with thoughts about that for a number of years afterwards. Then one day, probably two decades later I became acquainted with a man who was actually Burnaby’s superintendent of schools at that time. I asked him about it. I told him of my recall, and wondered if it had come to the board’s attention. He responded thusly.

“I remember it well. We were very concerned. We saw a good school being destroyed, and not by the students, but by the very bad choice of the man we had picked to be principal. But, the good thing was, we were looking for an excuse to transfer him. The students at Central gave us that excuse.”

Aha – so I wasn’t suffering from false memory. It was roughly the way I recalled it. OK, then it shall stay as it has been recounted in the book.

And now I’ll carry on with my editing and my memories.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Leesa said...

I love when I read something a while after I read it and think to myself, "Damn, that is good. Did I write that?"

As far as memories go, sometimes even if our memories are faulty, because we remember something a particular way, it becomes real in one sense or another.

9:27 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

Do you feel badly about the incident? It does sound like a well deserved reaction to an incompetent principal, but high school kids can be very unkind to incompetence.
In high school, more than fifty years ago, we had an incompetent Math teacher. We would totally ignore her and try to figure things out for ourselves. (This was a final year course, so we had to pass the matriculation exams.) Can I help you with the problem? she'd say, No thanks, we've got it , we said, as we discussed it with each other. One day, before class, we all decided to stare at the back of her skirt for the whole class and she kept talking and looking behind herself to see what we were looking at. Pretty mild by today's standards I'm sure but I felt pretty guilty about how we treated her for a long time.
Regrds
jmb

11:21 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I for one am enjoying reading your memories so please keep on. If this is to be a book put me at the top of your list :)

12:26 PM  
Blogger Bibi said...

I have a brother and sister and none of us 'remember' incidents the same way. It's your memoir. So if you've written what you remember, that's what it's all about isn't it (...assuming one's not pulling a James Frey, LOL).

Good luck with your editing!

2:39 PM  
Blogger CS said...

Sometimes the literal truth of a memory is less important thean the emotional truth. So, really neat to have your memory validated, but maybe it should have stayed in regardless since it obviously had great meaning for you. Of course you have to be careful about claiming it to be literal truth if you don't want to make Oprah cry in bitter disappointment.

6:19 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

memory is in the mind of the beholder.

11:41 AM  
Blogger djn said...

Here I am at work (shhh, don't tell anyone) and something told me to swing by your blog. I'm so glad I did because I have often wondered about this very thing and you wrote about it so nicely. It is nice to have your memory validated by the man who was an adult at the time. I wonder if you would have trusted your memory more if something similar had happened when you were an adult instead of as a child.

Ian, I've told you this before in some form or fashion but I'll just confirm that when your book comes out I will run -- not walk -- to get it. An autographed copy would be nice too. :)

12:11 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

"emotional truth" I like what csl said, it's very accurate.

My girlfriends and I talk about this exact kind of thing regularly. "I remember this, what do you remember?"
Because we've been friends for so long, we can fill in the gaps for each other (and often do). BUT sometimes it's more clear for one than the other...it just depends who's more 'emotionally' attached to the memory, I think.
Another post to get the ol' brain ticking away, thanks Ian!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Dreaming again said...

Hi Ian, I finally mosied on over here from Dr. Deb's.

This is great.

I have some great memories and have wondered if they could possibly have been anywhere near as dramatic as I remembered. When I go to check with someone else, I find, they are. I watch my kids to find if they are living as exciting as I had, and sure enough ... they get to have different, but still lively experiences to fill their middle age and elderly years with stories to tell ...

Trust your memory and write away!

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home