Thursday, April 12, 2007

"Damn, the &%$#@ phone is ringing!

“Ahoy-ahoy,” says the sinister and corrupt Mr. Burns while answering the phone on The Simpsons, in one of those wonderful jokes only appreciated by those who realize that “Ahoy” was the salutation suggested by Alexander Graham Bell to be used with his new invention.

My grandfather, born in the late 1870s, never quite ‘got’ the phone. If you happened to reach him at the other end of the line, he would yell, somehow believing, since you were miles away, he had to make his voice heard across the geographic chasm.

I don’t think I – or indeed other males – quite ‘get’ the phone, even to this day. Girls are different from boys (in some quite enchanting ways) and one difference is the female relationship with Mr. Bell’s invention. Indeed, if the doughty old Scots-Canadian hadn’t invented the phone, then surely a woman would have, since they understand them, and dare I say, ‘need’ them more than men do.

Women phone people. They like to phone people. They look forward to sending calls, and they look forward to retrieving them. Men hate to phone, whether it be calling or answering. If the phone rings (and I am not expecting a call from somebody) my gut immediately tightens. If Wendy is here it’s more like: “I wonder who that could be?” She has a sound of enthusiasm in her voice.

Wendy will call her friend, Rosie, once in a while. They talk for days. I mean, she could be on the line with Rosie and I could go out and do a major grocery shopping, wash the car, take a walk on the seashore, go to a dental appointment, have coffee with a friend, and then return home and, odds are, she would still be talking with Rosie. When she finally hangs up, I’ll ask: “What’s up with Rosie?”

“Nothing much. I’m meeting her for coffee in an hour.”

How could you be meeting her for coffee? What on earth would you have to talk about that hasn’t already been discussed?

But, that’s because women have a different relationship with the telephone. For them, I think, it is a distinct means of communication. For men it is a convenience that suggests this episode of life should be expedited rapidly so life can return to normal.

In my youth I found it agonizing to call a girl. My terror was based on two things: 1) her dad would answer the phone and, 2) I would have to think of something to say. I would have to sound as urbane and witty as a 17-year-old youth could manage. What I dreaded were lags in the conversation in which I would sound even dorkier than I felt at that moment.

But, what about phone sex? I imagine you are asking. Well, there is that – I have heard. But even then, I think most males feel a bit cumbersome with it. I can’t say how the female on the other end of the line might feel about this level of communication of some mightily intimate stuff, but I think males are still probably hopeless for the most part.

“So – uh – what’re you wearing? Oh – that sounds quite nice. So – uh – what’re you doin’ now? Uh – so – this is kind of cool, huh? Oh – are you still there? Right, yeah, I can hear you breathing. So – uh …”

As for the ubiquitous mobile phone, I think statistics would bear out that females have a much more intimate relationship with their cells than men do, as well. Young guys are more interested in the games and dirty downloads than actually talking on them. Older guys (like me) put them in their glove compartments unless they’re expecting a business call. Women, on the other hand, ‘use’ them. You see them on the streets of town, at the park at the mall, on the beach, hand and little phone nestled against the shell-like.

Again, I wonder what you could have to talk about that couldn’t wait until you got home.

Finally, in my esteem, the telephone wasn’t the greatest communication invention. The adjuncts, call display and the answering machine, were much more vital. They mean I have the power to take or not take a call. I prefer the latter. And I say this not to suggest that I am in any way anti-social. Quite the contrary, as a matter of fact. But, I like the old eye-contact thing when I am conversing.

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I agree completely Ian! If I didn't have to make a doctor's appt every now and then I would never have a phone. I don't own a cell and probably never will. Guess I am kind of anti-social because I'd much rather be out in the woods, down by the creek or in the garden.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Ian, you could be my husband. Well not literally, I mean he has the same sentiments. And he too has watched in wonder as I spend days, weeks even, talking to a friend or my sister on the phone. The wonder turns to a desperate, pained expression accompanied by much watch-checking by hour 3 or so, because the friend lives on the other side of the country, and sister in Spain. He, (and you) clearly don't get it!
V.

11:02 AM  
Blogger sally in norfolk said...

not me..i hate phones only use them when i really have too.

Now texting and chating on msn that i love..... :-)

11:11 AM  
Blogger CS said...

Oh, not me! I am not a phone person at all. In fact, several people offered support to me early in my separation by offering to call and talk with me and I had to say, "You know, talking on the phone is more of a burden to me, I'd rather not." I just vastly prefer to see the face of the person I'm talking to. But I did talk to someone the other night for 2 1/2 hours and wondered later how in the world that happened.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Bibi said...

Very funny piece Ian ... I can relate to a lot of that. Although I must say, the men in my household hog the phone all the time and I'm the one who doesn't want to answer it.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

I used to spend a lot of time on the phone. I could yak for hours at a time...somehow it changed over time. I guess really since I got married. I would just rather talk to my sweetie, and he's always right here with me - even if we're apart :-)

I never understood phone sex...

9:39 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Ian, I am woman and I hate the telephone. When it rings it gives me anxiety. I fear it will be my friend, who, unlike me, talks for atleast 1.5 hours every time she calls. I hate this more than I can describe. She talks on the phone while she is washing dishes, fixing her hair and doing her gardening. She repeats herself non-stop.

So, not all of us females like talking on the phone. I also know a few men who talk all the time on the phone.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I'm a female and I hate the phone. I cringe when it rings and I try not to use it unless I really have to do so!

Except, of course, when I've had a little too much red wine, and then I ring up the world! This I did on Easter Sunday evening after a long, leisurely lunch and then an early evening soiree with my neighbours! I should know better, and hide the telephone from myself on such occasions! ;)

10:47 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

In this regard, my husband and I fit the stereotypes. I love to talk on the phone and he hates it. But for me, that means the home phone. The only reason I even have a cell phone is because of Meals on Wheels. If they don't answer the door, we have to phone them. If they don't answer their phone we have to call the MOW office. I really don't use it much at all otherwise.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Smalltown RN said...

Well Ian I have to disagree....well at least in my household....I hate the phone...I hate getting it...I hate talking on it.....cell phone I have one...only use it for emergencies....now my hubby on the other hand...omg!!! He has his cell phone fixed to his hip most of the time...he loves to chat....mind you part of his cell phone is for work but still....at home....it is he who gets the phone....

Now when my girls were younger they loved the phone...well at least my eldest and middle daughters...the youngest never really uses the phone much...she sees is as a means to make plans and that is it....

I'm like you Ian in that I prefer direct contact. I use the phone to get things done and that is it....now with the internet I chat online for a bit with my sisters..but that is about it.

Great post!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I'm another of those odd women out. I hate the phone. And so does Mr. Jazz. We actually argue about whose turn it is to answer...

9:59 AM  
Blogger elleeseymour said...

I find the digital phones too small and slippery, I much prefer a more solid phone.

11:28 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I don't really like talking on the phone, but prefer e-mail. And while I own a cellphone, I never claim the minutes I'm allowed, but use it mostly if my husband and I are in different places and need to meet. (Which hardly ever works because he has usually left his in the pocket of his shorts the last time we were at the beach.)

When I first heard of phone sex, I thought it was a joke. On consideration, I think it is a natural (um) outgrowth (erm) of dancing without touching ones partner and a world that in general, has become more disconnected and impersonal. In fact, I think it's f*ing strange. :)

9:57 AM  
Blogger Moof said...

Ian, this post cracked me up! Although I'm definitely female ... I am emphatically not a telephone person. When it rings, I get that gut clenching you mention. I will put off making phone calls ... sometimes until it's just too late to bother, and I'm talking days here, not hours.

I miss my answering machine, because when I had it, I never answered the phone.

My kids have threatened to get me a cell phone, and I've given them graphic descriptions of what would certainly be said phone's journey into our leech field ...

Great post! :o)

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home