Thursday, April 19, 2007

Well, not always a 'gentleman' it seems

All I know is that if my wife had seen film of me putting a torrid smoocheroo on some gorgeous woman like Richard Gere did with that ‘Bollywood’ babe, then I would have some ‘splainin’ to do when I got back to home and hearth. Poor wife Carey Lowell, one of my favorite L&O ADAs.

Damn Buddhists. Knew they couldn’t be trusted. Wonder what the Dalai Lama thought of his boy getting so carnally carried away with that subcontinent ravisher that he offended most of the 87 billion people in that country. Tsk.

My ex-wife didn’t like watching Richard Gere movies because she said he reminded her too much in looks of her former husband. Actually, he does. I, however, had no such problem with Gere, or her ex, who is actually quite a nice guy.

My problem with Gere is that I have always run hot-and-cold with his opus. I liked An Officer and a Gentleman mainly because I like Lou Gossett Jr and David Keith, and Debra Winger’s husky voice does interesting things to my libido. Gere was, in many respects, the weakest link in that film, and he invariably looked like he was ready to burst into tears, which he did a few times.

Meanwhile, the premise of Pretty Woman stank. There is nothing romantic, sweet, cute or Julia Roberts-ish about prostitution. It’s a sordid, seedy and highly dangerous calling. My heart goes out to women who have chosen such a path to make ends meet or to feed a drug habit, and make no moral judgment on them. I do make a bit of a judgment about their clientele, however.

But, enough about Richard Gere’s oeuvre. What I want to talk about is attitude. I want to talk about smug and sanctimonious public figures that believe that by dint of ‘who’ they are, they have a right to set themselves up as moral arbiters for society. Richard Gere is and has been for a long time a practicing Buddhist. Good. Great philosophy and one in which I have done considerable reading. But, this doesn’t mean he has a role as a spokesperson for peace and love and everything in between. In essence he is a guy who has studied in a certain area. So has a goodly lot of the population of Asia. Why do I care about his views?

In all of this, Gere is no worse, nor any better than dozens like him who come to believe their public personae. I think that is called hubris. Who, for example, is this Irishman Bono that he should present himself as a person who should be reckoned with? Well, in the first place, real grownups generally go by two names, but that is neither here nor there. Why do genuine leaders come to kiss his ring? He’s a bloody musician who has expressed concern about the plight of the starving and dispossessed. Good for him. He has also lambasted world leaders for not coughing up more in that regard. Maybe has a point. How much of his personal fortune does he sink into his quest? When did he last get his hands dirty labouring in an African village? Basically, does he ever miss a meal?

And so it goes, our People Magazine fodder popular heroes who do not come close in heroism to those who slog in the field in vast numbers at huge risk to their safety and health, and never get invited to take tea with the Queen, or the Dalai Lama.

I saw a documentary a few years ago on an Englishwoman who was widowed in middle age. Distraught with grief, she entered a convent and became an Anglican nun. She then took herself off to Cairo where she was spending her declining years living and working in the Cairo city dump, and tending to the needs of the people who dwelt therein. Turns out there are whole generations of impoverished Egyptians whose entire lives, down the generations, have consisted of sifting through the fetid garbage in torrid heat in order to eke out an existence. This lady devoted her life to them.

That to me is sacrifice and courage of convictions. I couldn’t come close to being that selfless and neither could any dozen Geres, Bonos, Angelinas or Geldofs. But, I wouldn’t presume to. They somehow do.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

Well said. Looking at it from his own perspective, Gere was merely, at his best, showing love of a good time/good nature and at worst, cultural ignorance. Both true. But what pisses me off is the arrogance of any celebrity to think their high profile amongst the dregs of 'first world' countries insulates them from doing their homework and therefore respecting the customs and practices of an unfamiliar culture. Oops, Richard.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

I agree and I agree again.
However, one person who has the ability to influence thousands may do MORE than a single well intentioned soul?
Maybe not.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

True self sacrifice does not advertise, they do. Mother Theresa with the poor of Calcutta, Father Damien with the lepers, Gandhi and Nelson Mandela trying to free their people, your middle aged English lady in Cairo, and many other nameless individuals do, quietly, with no fanfare and media. They just do what has to be done.
Also Gere obviously hasn't learned the first law of the traveler. "When in Rome do as the Romans do" or in this case respect the culture and traditions of an ancient and rich culture that is India. I have traveled to many places in the world and wherever Mrs. BB and I went we have always tried to respect the culture and beliefs of the local people.

6:03 PM  
Blogger CS said...

On the one hand, I agree that celebrities often act out of arrogance or self-promotion (and wouldn't you have to have a degree of arrogance to become a celebrity in the first place?), but also think there is some good to using that kind of personal recognition to promote causes like peace and decreasing world hunger. I didn't see the incident you mentioned and its not the kind of thing I follow, so I won't comment on that. But people like Gere and Bono bother me far, far less than people like Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson who use their influence to spread negative or hate-filled messages.

6:04 AM  
Blogger The Angry Medic said...

Really well said. There are tons of unsung heroes out there, particularly those doing missionary work and volunteer medical work. The celebrity culture that has gripped today's society has decreed that there must be visible representatives for these samaritans, though, so this lot get to grandstand. C'est la vie, I'm afraid...

8:24 AM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

I like Jolie, but i agree with the point totally.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Amen brother!

And for the record, Bono moved from Ireland to I don't know where because of the taxes he had to pay. I resent someone like that coming to tell my country how we should conduct our affairs.

I could also go on about the Jolie's and Madonna's of the world and their "watch me go adopt a third world child; how wonderful am I?" press junkets.

That anglican nun in Cairo? Mother Teresa? They can tell me how I should live my life. Bono & Co.? Not so much.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Well said Ian!...and ditto to all of the above...especially CS's comment of a certain amount of arrogance involved to be a celebrity anyways.

11:50 AM  
Blogger elleeseymour said...

I must admit I have a soft spot for Richard Gere too. I'm afraid we are all suckers for celebrity endorsement.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

You'd think Gere would understand the customs better!!

I'm all for shining a light and using influence to get things done. Sometimes it is a celebs self-promotion, other times it is a self-lessness. Either way, as long as the cause finds a way to the light, I'm all for it.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Ian, your post reminded me of a supposedly true story I heard on the radio that made me laugh (guiltily). Bono was giving a live concert in Ireland, when he stopped in the middle to give a lecture about the plight of Africans. He clapped his hands several times and said "Every time I clap, a child in Africa dies." Some wag, or drunk, in the audience shouted out "Well stop fecking doing it then!"
V.

11:55 PM  
Blogger david santos said...

22 de abril, día de la tierra. Quién no la respeta, no respeta la humanidad.
22 of April, day of the land. Who does not respect it, does not respect the humanity.

22 d'avril, jour de la terre. Qui ne la respecte pas, ne respecte pas l'humanité.
22 نيسان يوم الارض. فمن لا يحترم ومن لا يحترم الانسانيه.
22 von April, Tag des Landes. Wer es nicht respektiert, respektiert nicht die Menschlichkeit
22日,一天的土地. 谁不尊重,不尊重人性. 4月の22、土地の日。
4月の22、土地の日。 それを尊重しないかだれが、人間性を尊重しない。
22 апреля - День земли. Кто не уважает его, не уважать человечество.
22 de Abril, dia da terra, quem não a respeita, não respeita a humanidade
22 της ημέραης Απριλίου, του εδάφους, που δεν το σέβονται, δεν σέβονται το Ανθρωπότητα
David Santos

3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home