Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I'd doff my hat (if I wore one) to distaff writers

As a writer of sorts I sometimes sit in envious, brooding resentment of others whose literary attainments make mine seem pallid, banal and ephemeral. The “brooding resentment” reference is a bit excessive and that only happens on badly blocked days, so for the most part, I’ll settle for the “envious.”

I’ll be candid. I envy many writers of various genres, for both their output and their turns-of-phrase. Douglas Adams of the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series almost made me cringe with his drollery, wit and huge intelligence. I know that chronic writer’s block led him into so much stress that he died at an early age. But, maybe to peak too young is better than to not have peaked at all. Likewise, I love all the trips, external and internal, of Bill Bryson, and I want to be just like him when I grow up, despite the fact he’s younger than I am. Meanwhile, I have traveled the world with Paul Theroux, and have solved crimes with Ann Rule, and there are many more I could mention, but shall refrain. I haven’t even gotten into the wisdom of such columnists as Mike Royko, P.J. O’Rourke (both as columnist and book writer), Peter Hitchens and the late and terrifying bizarre Hunter S. Thompson, the Jerry Lee Lewis of the printed page.

As I said, I have envied, and have even aped some of the above in attempting to find my own voice. But, there is one group of writers that I envy thoroughly in vain, and that is the females. Female columnists, novelists, social commentators, and even bloggers offer something that no male can possibly attain and that is the ability to take a simple domestic or personal situation and turn it into the sort of hilarity that can only make a lowly male think, I wish I could write like that. I wish I could go to the commonplace situation and present something that will make my readers wet their respective pants.

I may mention the ‘biggies’ first, because they attained a kind of mundane nirvana with their wanderings from kitchen to vacuuming to bedroom hijinks. My early favorite in this, and she has long since departed the world, is the late Betty MacDonald. Betty, writing out of Seattle in the 1940s, first gained fame for her screamingly funny tale of chicken farming on the Olympic Peninsula, called The Egg and I. It was also turned into a film in the 1940s, starring Claudette Colbert and Fred Mac Murray, and introducing us all to Ma and Pa Kettle (shown above, who were based on real neighbors of Betty’s.) A later book, called Onions in the Stew, told of raising two adolescent girls on a small island in Puget Sound. Personally, I think it’s even funnier than Egg.

A huge admirer of Betty MacDonald was the late Erma Bombeck, whose earlier stuff especially, resembled her mentor’s. She later developed her own style, and became a deserved media darling. Again, she devoted her musings to real life and the pitfalls that we happen upon throughout our lives. I could go on and on through other female wits like Jean Kerr (Please Don’t Eat the Daisies), and everything by my special heroine, Dorothy Parker.

But, I also wanted to mention female bloggers. I read one a few weeks ago that to me was publishable at a higher level than as a mere blog, and that was a writer’s description of the horrors of applying bikini wax. You know, that was something no mere male could ever appreciate, but after reading he would certainly have a new admiration for the sheer courage of his wife or girlfriend, and what she might do in the name of ‘daintiness.’

There are females with whom we’re all familiar on these pages, people who come and visit my blog or your blog, who I find immensely amusing and thoughtful. I won’t mention names, though I’m tempted to, but I have often left comments on their blogs attesting to how funny I find them.

And sometimes how envious I am of them. Envious because while I get to stand up to pee, I can’t convey the commonplace like they can. Some of them could even offer a funnier tale of standing up to pee than I could.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

God how I love Bill Bryson and Douglas Adams. And how I envy their writing...

Your comment on standing an peeing just might have inspired a blog about cleaning up after that half of the population that stands to pee. I thank you Ian. :-p

12:27 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Well I'll doff my hat to them too and I do wear one, usually one of my Akubras.

I'm amazed at how easily some people seem to write and make ordinary situations so alive and amusing. Well actually downright funny.

Why no link to the bikini-wax post? Don't tease us in future.
regards
jmb

1:27 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Ian, I of the sit down peeing ones thank you for the compliments to our gender. But you sell yourself short. I give as an example your very funny post about house keys. And there are many more.
V.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Don’t sell yourself short. You’re probably one of the best writers out there, and you’re original and varied.

That bikini wax story has very long legs, has made the rounds of the Internet and e-mails, and the person who posted it said she wished she had known who the author was so she could credit her. There are almost 1,000 sites with the story on it.

You write some very funny, informative, interesting pieces. You don’t need to doff your hat to anyone, particularly most of the other bloggers, male or female. You over-estimate them and under-estimate yourself.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Bibi said...

You mentioned some great writers there ... I know a Canadian journalist who writes a column based on nohting but his two kids and their humungous appetities.

And BTW, I recall laughing at more than one of your posts!

4:27 PM  
Blogger CS said...

I think men and women do have different takes on life at times, but I'd be hard-pressed to say which I like more or find funnier. Depends more on the writer for me. But when I was reading this I was thinking that maybe women have historically found their voice through conveying the humor (or, at times, pathos) in the ordinary. A lack of conventional power might push women a bit more that way.

6:38 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Good insight. You made me wonder if there are guys that can convey that type of thing. I think Magazine Man does that. Maybe that's why he's so popular. As far as a writer making me swoon with the turn of a phrase: That would be Pat Conroy. I would find myself going back to reread a page or paragraph just for the sheer joy of it.

12:39 AM  
Blogger elleeseymour said...

Ian, we all have our different styles. I sometimes read other blogs and admire their style and wish I could write that way, but it's not just the writing but the personality that comes out with blogging. People return because they like the whole package, that's a huge difference with being an author.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I for one really enjoy your writing Ian as you have a style all your own.
I think woman tend to add humor to mundane things because many spend a lot of time cleaning, cooking etc and it would become a little tedious if we could not laugh somewhere along the line.

10:38 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

I suppose you don't want to hear that, with a little practice, those women bloggers could stand to pee, too. No, I shan't mention it. No one wants to envision their fellow bloggers, peeing.

I've always been envious in the best way possible of Douglas Adams, because he had such a unique way of looking at the world, and flipped everyday situations on their head. Men, women, old and young -- no matter what their gender, it's fascinating to see how talented people can transform the mundane into something exciting.

Hats off to you, Ian, for your own unique way of portraying the world!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

As usual, everyone has said exactly what I wanted to say way before I got here.

You may envy D. Adams and B. Bryson, but I envy your abilty to express your world.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I'm a huge admirer of wordsmiths too. I envy and aspire. And so the cycle goes....

9:27 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

yeezy supply
golden goose sneakers
golden goose
supreme clothing
golden goose outlet
golden goose sneakers
goyard
supreme hoodie
goyard
goyard handbags

4:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home