Saturday, May 12, 2007

Dumb, dumber, dumberer and dumberest

Please understand me here. I am the farthest thing from being prudish, and I do not shock easily. In fact, anything that consenting adults want to indulge in of a sexual or naughty nature is absolutely fine with me. Party on and I hope it all goes well and enticingly. Life’s short and tension-filled enough that there is no reason we need to deny ourselves.

Yet, yesterday, I saw something that shocked me. Shocked me not because there was a sexual component to it – which there was – but more because of the sheer stupidity of a juvenile act.

I’ll admit that I grew up in that prim time in which there were ‘good girls’ who saved the ubiquitous ‘it’ for marriage. While I never bought into the concept, and was more of the attitude of “Hey, your Mom does, so why can’t you?” Such a crass comment rarely earned a second date, by the way. But, in that context I know that mores have changed and this is a more liberated and liberal time in terms of what is acceptable. Quite frankly, I think that is a good thing, within certain limitations.

What I am saying is that when I was young, females exercised at least a certain ‘public’ decorum. What they did in the back seat of ’58 Malibu was entirely another matter, but it was essentially private.

So, here is the scene that shocked me. I live across the street from a town park and playing field. There is a junior high on the other side of the park, and the school uses the field for their various athletic endeavors. One of these endeavors seems to be running the circuit of the park. Oh well, it’s good exercise, I guess, even if a little brain-dead.

Yesterday I am out on my front lawn, which looks across the street to the field, planting a dogwood tree. Kids are running. They seem to be always running. Two girls, about 14 or 15 I guess, are lagging behind and kidding around. There never seems to be a teacher or coach urging them to excel.

They run past my line of vision when suddenly one of the girls lifts up her black T-shirt and literally, bare-breastedly, flashes a car driving by on the street. I was a bit incredulous and thought, ‘How stupid was that?’ No, I’m not a child-molester, so it didn’t do anything for me on a personal basis. But, what would invoke such behavior? An excess of sleazy queens like Britney and Paris as role-models?

I shook my head and continued to plant my tree. The same two girls make their next circuit, and I can hear the one girl goading the other, whereupon the ‘other’ takes her T fully off and runs completely bare breasted to the end of the field.

That to me took the stupidity prize. There are creeps out there. We all know that. It might have seemed to them like a juvenile prank in the context of mooning, but to me it was more than that, and much more dangerous.

Wow, we live in a scary world, folks. Does somebody really want to make it scarier? What would prompt her to be so idiotic? As I say, the nudity didn’t shock me, but the risk she took did.

I toyed with calling the school, but what was I to say? “One of your kids was flashing her boobs at passers-by?” Whatever it was, it would sound stupid. Yet, I believe kids should be protected because kids make dumbass judgment calls, mainly because they are kids.

I’m still toying with the idea of letting the school know, but I’m just not sure yet how I’ll approach it.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Voyager said...

Wow. I've heard of young women flashing their boobs at concerts, but not that. What bothers me is the uncomfortable reality that what they did could indeed be dangerous. While teenage boys mooning a passing car is not.
V.

5:38 PM  
Blogger CS said...

It starts younger - I see elementary age school girls wearing tiny shorts with "Cheer" and other stuff printed across the butt. WHy not just have it say "Pedophile Bait" while they're at it? I always think, "Where are their parents?"

6:28 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I believe you should call Ian in the hopes that the girl gets embarrassed enough to not do it ever again and just maybe save her life. Someone has to care what happens n'est ce pas?

8:15 PM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

Yikes. I agree that kids seem to be getting more and more brazen. I wonder if the current environment is confusing, on the one had we have liberation, and media and the sense that we should be able to wear what we want when we want and be safe, at the same time the world clearly isn't safe, maybe its getting worse, maybe we are just more aware of it, but we must be sending really conflicting signals to kids these days. Perhaps girls flashing is a shout for true equality, sadly as is often the case starting at the lowest common denominator.

5:03 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

You used to be a teacher. Phone the school. Save a girl's life. She is engaging in risky behavior and if she's doing it there, she's doing it in other places. If you don't want to phone the school, what's the number? I'll do it.

She's still just a child.

8:43 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

I agree with Rebecca. Sometimes it is best to use these things as an opportunity to educate.

At the same time, I saw a shocking report the other day on some news channel that indicates that sex is considered to be "no big deal" among the younger generation?


Peace,


~Chani

8:52 AM  
Blogger Bibi said...

I think we have the great director of the "Girls Gone Wild" DVDs to thank for the prevalance of boob flashing/and more...

I've sunbathed on many nudist beaches ... but there's a time and place and I would call the school.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

In response to assorted comments, I did indeed call the school and the principal was well-pleased that I had. Thank you all.

Ian

12:05 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

Ian:

There are entire aisles in the toy stores devoted to a high-concept doll line called "BRATZ!"

As far as I can tell, the sole function is to groom little girls into becoming, well, brats! Is there an entire generation of Parig Hilton wanna-bes waiting in the wings, I wonder...

4:32 AM  
Blogger OHN said...

As a mom of 3 sons I hear the conversations they have about the "boob flasher" type girls. While it provides a good laugh or story for the guys, those still are not the girls they have chosen to date.

The thing that makes my blood boil are the parents of these adorable little girls-6,7,8 years old that DRESS THEM (lets face it the kids don't have the Mastercard) in provocative clothing..where in the hell are their brains!? Unless they have been living under rocks they have to know the world has changed since 1957.

4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home