Monday, June 04, 2007

This really made me angry

I was thinking of writing a blog concerning the important news just in that tells a waiting world that Paris Hilton enjoyed a last meal of egg salad sandwiches before hauling her well-and-widely-viewed little ass off to the calaboose, but I actually have something serious to address.

From the mid 1990s and through to the year 2000, I had a very good male friend. It was one of those rare situations (for males past a certain age especially) where two guys just bond and take great pleasure in the thoughts and company of each other.

My friend was a cop. In fact, he was a drug cop. I got to know him from covering the police beat for a local newspaper, and my friendship with him also had a payoff in that I got a number of terrific stories thanks to my relationship with the guy. And, as he thought I was a good fellow, and one to be trusted, the other cops in the detachment began to regard me in the same positive manner. Consequently, I managed to get myself ‘embedded’ and therefore was able to don flack jacket, etc. and join the ‘boys’ on drug raids, chopper rides and many other excellent adventures. Adventures that were documented by me, and eventually led to me being given official recognition as the top crime-prevention writer for the province of British Columbia on one occasion.

And then, one November day in the year 2000, my cop friend died. He died utterly unexpectedly. He was only 43-years-old and had two daughters not yet in their teens at the time, not to mention a lovely wife. He not only died but, it was revealed a few weeks later, that my friend – the ‘drug’ cop – had died of a drug overdose in the form of an injected speedball of heroin and cocaine. In other words, he hadn’t snuck out to the garage to suck on a doobie, this was heavy-duty drug use.

And in that, despite my grief over the loss of my friend, I was furious about what he’d done. How dare he? He was a fraud and a hypocrite! He would go into schools and tell the kids about the perils of drug use, while he was using the shit himself. But then, as happens, cooler emotions prevailed. By this time I was working as an addictions counsellor and I asked clients what they thought. Consensus was that “what better lesson for kids?” In other words, nobody is immune and addiction takes no prisoners. And with such thoughts, I was able to let my grief pass and conclude that as outrageous as the circumstances around his death were, there was another perspective to be considered.

Since that time I hadn’t thought much about it, since the incident was nearly seven years ago.

And then, on Saturday, in the Vancouver Sun (that city’s prominent daily paper) I looked at a page and did a double-take. There was a photo of my friend standing amidst the plants in a pot plantation. It was a press photo I had taken. It was also the last photo I’d ever taken of my friend.

My curiosity piqued, I read the accompanying article, wondering why in hell this photo and references to the circumstances of my friend’s death were deemed relevant.

As I read the article, I concluded quickly that the use of the photo and references were utterly gratuitous. In other words it was a cheap-shot revolving around a cop-turned-bad and how the police-inspired anti-drug program for schools called DARE was just a piece of crap and of no worth whatsoever. My friend was ‘used’ to prove how terrible DARE was, especially since he was a strong proponent of the program that is used in schools throughout North America.

My friend’s connection to the material in the article was tenuous enough to be virtually nonsensical. And, for the ensuing diatribe against DARE, no empirical evidence was provided to indicate why it was such a bad program, though the writer attested to having access to tons of documentation to validate his claim. I could, by the way, lay my hands on an equal amount of documentation refuting the writer’s stance. But, my point is not a pissing contest over the virtues or lack of virtues of DARE, my point is the gratuitous use of what was ultimately a wretched family and enforcement tragedy to establish a vague tie to a story.

In that I can only offer the thought that the writer is a youngish dude and maybe a bit of sensitivity is something that might come with time – or might not.

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Voyager said...

Ian, I read that article too. Even before I read your post I thought the article made no sense, it did not offer any real evidence that DARE is not working. I hope the writer was not using DARE as a hook to exploit an old story, your friend's. I'm surprised it made it past the editors.
V.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Dear Voyager: Thank you for your comments. I thought at first that maybe it was 'just me,' what with him being my friend and all. But, on later scrutiny I realized it was a lousy article and fraught with non-sequiturs, and yes I found it exploitive. I too was surprised it made it past the editors.
Ian

10:25 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

Hey Ian...will you send in a letter to them about this?
Seems to me that bad journalism needs to be called out, and by the sounds of it, this really stunk.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Actually, Tai, I did send them a letter and they notified me that they'd received it. Whether they'll run it or not will, of course, be up to them. I also cc'd the letter to the author of the piece.
Welcome home, by the way. Nice to have you back.
Ian

11:20 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Holy crap, Ian. Fantastic post. If your letter runs in the Sun let us know so those of us in the Vancouver area can pick it up.

I can't imagine how hard the article would be on his daughters.

11:44 AM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

hi ian, even though it's been a few years, i'm sorry for the loss of your friend, for you and his family and other friends.

do you think he was really on drugs, or could someone have stuck a needle in his arm to make it look like he was using? stuff like that really happens, especially since his job was busting drug dealers/users. did they ever investigate that possibility?

that young reporter hopefully will acquire some scruples as he grows in the job.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Actually Ian, I'd be surprised if the author actually ever grew himself a sense of ethics. That kind rarely do. Sounds more like a case of gotta-make-a-name-for-myself, ethics be dammed.

I just hope his children didn't see that article.

1:24 PM  
Blogger CS said...

How cruel and unnecessary. I hoe the family missed it. (But ack, this is the second blog I've visited today with a picture of a needle. You guys trying to trigger a panic attack in me?)

3:00 PM  
Blogger kj said...

hello, i slide into your blog after seeing your comments at cs's. hope you don't mind. i skimmed, and then read, this post. really nice.

:)

10:00 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

That must have been awful. I'm guessing that young journalist lacks empathy. I hope the dead man's family did not see it.

4:12 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Seeems to me that DARE is working in the community where I live. How upsetting to see a piece of your professional photography used in such an ill-formed article. I hope you hear from the editor about this. So sad to have lost your friend and to discover a hidden aspect of his life. Tragic all around.

Peace, my friend,
Deb

5:31 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Wow, I can't imagine your shock and the painful memories this must have brought back. I hope the editor has enough morals to print your letter.
Bad journalism seems to be running amok considering some of the asinine
articles published these days. What's worse is the public demands it and relishes such junk. Doesn't say a lot about our society's values.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Ian, makes you wonder about journalism today doesn't it. It seems to me that more and more writers are writing op-ed pieces and passing it off as journalism. I am not a writer or a journalist, but when I teach my kids about newspaper articles I teach them that the article is supposed to be objective and substantiated. Obviously this is no longer taught in journalism school. If they want to do op-ed pieces they should get a blog like the rest of us not try and foist off their opinions as news.

1:52 PM  
Blogger elleeseymour said...

I can understand your anger, what a tragic waste of life, how did nobody realise the extent of your friend's drug abuse. I feel so sorry for his lovely wife and daughters.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Belizegial said...

Ian, reading what took place with your friend, makes the other breaking news on Princess Paris appear trivial in comparison.

I tend to agree, though, with heiresschild's comment. Did anyone take the time to verify whether this cop was an actual drug addict or could this have been a case of homicide?

Sometimes we tend to grab and hold onto a worst case scenario whilst the actual truth is sacrificed at the altar of sensational headlines.

Enid



Enid

8:09 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I remember this case well and thought how sad it was that someone who was very probably good man had found temptation too much for himself.

To rake this all up again to make a very dubious point seems like very bad taste if nothing else. Didn't see the article but won't bother searching it out.

Good post as usual, Ian

11:18 PM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

That's awful! I also think it's completely irresponsible to undermine a programme that could potentially be very positive.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Thanks to all of you for your well-considered and compassionate comments about the issue I raised here.
As of yet I have had no word from the Sun that they will run my letter. Oh well, I made the gesture and if they choose to not run it, it says more about them than it does about me.
Cheers, my friends,
Ian

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home