Wednesday, June 06, 2007

It's a nice town -- but -- it's a very 'small' town sometimes












I just came back from coffee with a friend on this rainy morning and he mentioned that he and his wife sometimes miss the big city and find themselves getting fed up with the parochial attitudes of a small town.

“Just sometimes?” I asked.

“Often,” he concurred.

I too grew up in the city – Vancouver, to be precise – and even though I have lived here in the Comox Valley forever, I still consider myself to be a city kid. I consider myself to be that because I have never developed that proverbial and parochial ‘small town mentality.’

And, with my ongoing ‘city-slickerness’ I have never lost my sense of exasperation with some of the mindsets I see around me.

The Comox Valley is an amalgam of three communities: Courtenay (the Big Smoke); Cumberland (venerable and sometimes even quaint old mining town); and Comox (a small town that has gotten quite big and has always been notably stuck on itself).

Specifically, I live in Comox, and have for a number of years, through a couple of marriages. Comox is a picturesque waterfront community of about 15,000 souls, and it boasts some fine natural splendors that would be the envy of many communities, even here on Vancouver Island, which doesn’t suffer a paucity of striking settings.

But, Comox also has attitude problems and a sense of insularity that I find galling. Comox also has an ‘establishment’ of well-heeled and tiresome old farts who basically call all of the shots regardless of what particular council might be in charge of civic affairs at any given time.

The Old Farts (henceforth OFs) live in rather palatial homes on the waterfront and the OFs (who aren't necessary all 'old' but they are 'establishment') demand that their will must always prevail. They are oblivious that there is entire community that has grown significantly up towards the rural hinterland. It is a community of malls, houses, condos, businesses, and so forth. That is the part of Comox where I live, for example.

We are, in the eyes of the OF brigade, irrelevant. In fact, they refuse to truly concede we are part of Comox, and even if we are, our views cannot count. Only theirs can.

I’ll cite some examples of OF behavior. Next year my taxes are going up 10 percent. Why? Because the OF gang demanded a new library. They are going to get a new library. Nobody asked me about this. It was never put to referendum. It’s simply going ahead. As much as I love to read, libraries in the conventional sense are dying entities. People use the Internet for research. However, the Internet (city slicker stuff) isn’t embraced by the OF contingent. They want their very own brand new library. Big Smoke Courtenay has a wonderful and very new library that could accommodate all their needs and wants. But, it’s in Courtney, goes the parochial mindset. “We want our own library!” And, I guess you’ll be getting it, folks, and I’ll be paying for it.

Recently a major developer pulled out all stops to build a wonderfully designed and sorely needed hotel right on the waterfront. The developer crossed all the Ts and dotted all the Is. Council killed it. Why? The OF battalion didn’t want it. Might impact their view. Might bring (gasp!) tourists. Might provide jobs for people.

And so it goes. My coffee friend is a building contractor. He owns a huge chunk of property upon which a strip mall is supposed to be placed. He can’t get the building permits. The OF warriors don’t want the strip mall to exist because it might impact the little businesses in their part of town. Therefore, OF will continues to prevail.

No wonder my friend wants to go back to the city. Who can blame him?



Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

I wouldn't blame him... I left Quebec city for that very reason. It's stifling, it's parochial and I'll never live there again if I can help it. It's the type of nasty town where if you don,t quite fit into the mold, you'll never quite be completly accepted. When I got to Montreal, I felt at home for the firt time in ages.

11:55 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Interesting post for me right now because, as the years pass, I'm feeling more and more like a fish out of water in the leafy suburb (Delta) where I live. It's a question, somewhat, of identity, but I'm stuck: kids at a crucial age (hard to leave) and the actual city is impossibly expensive.

Interestingly, the parents of an old BF retired to Comox and that very waterfront neighbourhood you mentioned. They exited West Van where they were small potatoes, took the overinflated payout from selling their average house and invested it where they could be big potatoes. If they're typical of your Comox waterfront then I'm with you.

(PS West Vancouver doesn't allow me in anymore, even if I did grow up there. They demand to see your tax return documents as you enter its gates. :)

12:22 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Too bad about the lovely waterfront hotel that got nixed. I'd love to go to Comox and have somewhere like that to stay. Or to conduct business.
Still, count your blessings Ian. You don't fight rush hour traffic, air pollution, or big city crime. My son got mugged at the sky train station last week. In broad daylight. Not too serious, a few stitches in the scalp, but very scary. Rather than have the good sense to hand over his wallet, he fought back.
Are there any homes for sale in your neighbourhood?
V.

8:51 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Love the photos Ian, it does look like a beautiful place. Of course it is and I've been there on many occasions, although not recently.
I'm afraid I'm a city girl and Vancouver is the smallest city I've lived in. But funnily, within the city we all make our own small village where we are comfortable and know lots of people.
While it's true everyone does their research on the internet now, it's still wonderful to read the books so I need a library but I'd be willing to drive to Courtney if that would save me a bundle in taxes. Also the libraries are full of computers these days. Someone said to me that libraries are like internet cafes, which I thought was pretty funny.
You'd better run for office over there so you can straighten out those OFs.
regards
jmb

9:49 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

In my early 20's I worked for the cable company in the suburbs here and had to cover city council meetings and planning and zoning meetings. I was at the ripe old age of 21, and yet thought the people in those meetings were imbeciles. I must say though, that I LOVE it here and could never live in a small rural community again. I grew up on dirt roads with fields and pig farms around and all I ever wanted was to live in "a real town with sidewalks." I LOVE the DFW metroplex! Thanks for reminding me of that.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Gosh I am the exact opposite to everyone else...I love it here Ian and don't miss the big city at all. I lived in Calgary for years and years and was so glad to move to Vancouver Island...first to Victoria, Parksville, Comox and now the outskirts of Courtenay.
Enjoyed the photos immensely.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Bibi said...

It's too bad that the OFs have all the control ... it looks lovely.

I'm from a really large city, and Seattle feels like a small town to me ... pluses and minuses to that. ;-)

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home