Monday, June 18, 2007

Maybe we can't handle the truth, after all

“You want to be a waiter?”

That from Jack Hardman, my high school art teacher at Burnaby Central. Jack was a wonderful artist, a good guy, and bitingly sarcastic back in the days when teachers didn’t worry much about the sensitivity of their young charges. I hated the fact he always said what he thought. With his students he was always honest.

“No,” I said in describing my little work of art. What we had been assigned to do was to paint a picture of ourselves as a future projection of what we wanted to be when (and if) we grew up. I had done a picture of myself in a white dinner jacket, standing on a tropical knoll overlooking the ocean. There is a manorial structure up behind me.

“I want to be rich and powerful.”

Therefore, I thought the dinner jacket and the manorial type place conveyed wealth and influence.

“Building looks like a restaurant to me,” said Jack. “And you look like a waiter. Maybe that’s your destiny. You’ll be a waiter serving people who are rich and powerful.”

I must have felt a bit demoralized because I still remember the incident as being insulting.

“Asshole,” I muttered after Jack was out of earshot. I no longer think that. In fact, I wish I had paid more heed to his artistic acumen, but that’s neither here nor there. What he said was the truth and, like Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men, in the view of Jack, I couldn’t “handle the truth.”

So, what I want to talk about is honesty – scrupulous, unequivocal honesty. In other words something that I don’t believe exists, despite the fact we would like to think otherwise.

Because, even though I never became a waiter, I also didn’t become rich and powerful. I do have a white jacket, to which the photo attests, but that’s about it. What Jack was about, in his honesty, was that I wasn’t doing a realistic appraisal of my aspirations, and me but was going for the cheap and easy. Who doesn’t want to be rich and powerful? He wanted depth of thought. Huh? I was 17, for crissake.

Today I try to live a scrupulously honest life. I believe in honesty. In a relationship, for example, I believe in having no secrets between partners. I’ve done it the other way, and that doesn’t serve anybody well. I learned that the hard way. So, therefore if my life is an open book, life should flow smoothly. But, the point is, it’s not an open book.
The world is fraught with lies, as we know from politics and commercial advertising. But, so are we all.

There are things my wife knows about me, and there are things I know about her. Those are the things we choose to let the other know. But, there are other things, past and present, she doesn’t.

Our honesty comes in degrees like this:

- Things we’re comfortable to have anybody and everybody know.
- Things we share with those to whom we are close
- Things we share only with family
- Things we share (really neat things, sometimes) with those with whom we are intimate.
- Things we keep scrupulously to ourselves
- And finally, things that render us uncomfortable even about ourselves and about which we are in denial.

I believe we are existential beings and while self-lies can kill us, destroy relationships, lead us into despair and despondency; there remain some things we probably should not voice to anybody.

If you decide that you want to come clean with somebody about anything, you must always consider if it is going to lead to damage at the other end.

“Say, hon’, I’ve always wanted to have sex with your sister and she with me. Thought it was time I was honest about that. No secrets between us, eh?”

The repercussions of that scenario are too huge to be imagined – even if it is the ‘truth.’ By the way, it’s not the truth with me. Frankly, I can’t stand my wife’s sister. But, that’s OK. Neither can my wife.

And as a final caveat that all men must appreciate. If she asks you if a certain garment makes her look fat, lie through your teeth.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Honesty isn't the best policy. The truth can be hurtful as well as helpful.

It's alwyas helpful when my hubby tells me "I look so beautiful". Sometimes I know it's the truth while other times I know I entered him in a no win situation.

Great post, great writing. As usual.

2:18 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Hey! I've taken very careful pains to develop my suppression and denial skills. They're hugely underrated. :)

Ian, that tie is a winner. If I could just find a Dali tie for my husband... Where did you get it and are there any chances that they still have one?

2:23 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

"Pas toutes les vérités sont bonnes à dire." Not all truth should be said, I guess you could translate. Sometime I find that brutally honest people tell the truth more for their satisfaction than for the good of the person who is receiving the "truth". Sometimes telling the truth will serve no purpose but to hurt the person who is receiving it, if so refrain, a little white lie, or simple silence is much kinder.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Andrea: As a tie fetishist (there are kinkier fetishes after all) who owns about 200 of them, that one is probably my pride-and-joy. I love it, too. I bought it at a classy little haberdashery in Port Townsend Washington in about 1992. Whether or not the place still exists (or such a tie) I cannot attest to.
Thank you for noticing my Dali Tie.
Ian

2:39 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

just thought i'd drop by to say hello from London ... hope you're doing well. :)

6:55 PM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

Wonderful. I learned about seven years ago the value of honesty..it, well...keeps you honest! I got "caught" doing something while married that I shouldn't have done even if I weren't :-) The fall-out from that lesson was this - never DO something that you would not want others to find out about, because if you think they will not, you are lying to yourself.

8:05 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

You really have a great smile as well as a Dali tie.

I think that emotional honesty is more important in a relationship than literal honesty, which as mentioned, can be gratuitously hurtful.

It's kind of like debating The Law vs the Letter of the Law. One is for pedants, the other for those who are truly concerned with the feelings of others.

11:44 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

This is a great post Ian. The white jacket is very debonair, but where on earth do you wear it? You must have great self confidence and a big dry cleaning bill.
I like the whole honesty analysis.
I can identify with things that I never have shared with anyone and also some I don't think I even admit to myself.
I have often said I never tried drugs because I have spent my whole life keeping the lid on my conscious self as well as my subconscious and wouldn't dare let my guard down under the influence of anything.
Wow that makes me sound rather strange doesn't it?

11:56 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I definitely don't believe in telling the truth at all costs. I'm a relatively honest person, but I don't think telling the truth is good in every situation.

I know someone who is brutally "honest" (obnoxious?). I don't much like him. Nor do most other people.

7:13 AM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

i know there are some things about me that i will never tell a soul. God knows everything about me, and He's the ultimate One i have to please. sometimes you can't let your right hand know what your left is doing, so it's not really being dishonest; it's just not telling all.

i think i'd rather be told i look fat in a dress so i can change to something else that makes me look slimmer, but then i'd rather hear the truth than a lie. and this is the truth--honest. however, there is a way to say things and that's with tact, diplomacy and plenty of wisdom.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Loved the last paragraph Ian...too funny!
Seriously though as much as I too believe in honesty I think the problem lies in the questions asked - some are just too trivial and not worth the time to answer. People really need to learn the economical use of words and the problem of honesty would rarely arise. Good post Ian, as always.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Voyager said...

You do look rich and powerful in that jacket Ian. I'm being totally honest here!
There is no right answer to the question "Does this make me look fat?" If you say "no", she replies; "What, you think I always look this fat?" And if you say yes, you get no sex for a month.
V.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I think Dr Deb is right, though I always believe in telling the truth and try and encourage my sons to do the same. I'm a terrible liar anyway.

Hey, smart suit and tie, btw:-)

12:33 PM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

honesty is great in it's place, but sometimes it's unneccessary and cruel. And damn right, i don't want to hear my arse looks fat, i don't mind hearing it looks better in the other one tho.

12:57 PM  
Blogger CS said...

Homesty simply for the sake of honesty is over-rated - a olt of damage has been done which has been prefaced with, "I just want to be honest with you..." But honesty on a deeper way is vital, expecially being honest with yourself. (nice photo, by the way.)

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home