Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Hey, Ma -- where'd you go?

I think the most revelatory moment I ever had in terms of my mother came at the end of the reception at my first wedding.

“Aren’t you going to kiss your mother?” asked my pretty new bride.

“Why?” was my response, because I was a bit dumbfounded by her suggestion. I didn’t remember having ever kissed my mother, and the idea sort of grossed me out. Oh, I don’t mean in an oedipal way, it was just that it wasn’t an experience I had any recall of having, so why start now?

When I wrote a few weeks ago about my father, I said that I would gird my loins and write something about the materfamilias. However, in so doing, I didn’t want it to be one of those ‘poor me,’ kind of things. I hate that stuff, where people whine about something that happened in the past and how hard-done-by they were, when in current context, there isn’t a damn thing they can do about it. So, they can continue to wallow, or they can move on. I chose many years ago to move on.

That I had moved on came to me when she died (far too many quarts of Smirnoff to the bad) in 1992. When I was notified, I couldn’t really think of what to say. “Hey, that’s the way it goes.” Seemed a bit too callous. But, seriously, my problem when I heard the news was, I just did not know how I was supposed to feel. I knew I was ‘supposed’ to mourn, but I couldn’t really find the right emotions.

When my mother-in-law had died about five years earlier, I was quite devastated and certainly filled with grief. When my grandmother died when I was 14, I was blown away, and I still miss her. But, with Mom it wasn’t there.

And, you know, finally, and it has taken me a few years, I think I’ve come to grips with that. What I have done is to try to sort out who she was, and maybe why I responded in such a manner.

I’ve concluded that some women are ‘meant’ to be mothers. The adoration for their children that emanates from a lot of women I know in real time certainly shows that, as does similar adoration by some of my female blogger friends. My aforementioned mother-in-law was a walking maternal instinct. Not that she didn’t have a life of her own, because she assuredly did, but her two daughters were vital to her. My second wife was a Mom from the top of her pretty head to her toenails, and still is to her now grown only child. Mom never was. Mom should have stayed single, traveled the world, written books and painted pictures. She should have lived in a London garret or a SoHo loft, but not mired in domesticity, and especially not with children. Ultimately it was both her loss and her children's loss that she chose the conventional route.

So, she never had the Mom thing within her. Not a lot of cuddling going on, and not a great deal of discussion about how my brothers or I might be ‘feeling’ at any given time. Her sisters (my aunts) had it, and I was crazy about them. My Mom just didn’t seem to issue forth emotionally. She didn’t abuse us, and she didn’t neglect us in any material sense. We weren’t beaten and we weren’t starved. We were just there.

In my teens I developed a certain intellectual attachment to my mother. She was a smart cookie and she and I would discuss books and movies as we sat in the kitchen drinking coffee or if she slipped me the odd glass of sherry when I was in my late teens. It was obvious even then that she preferred the sherry or anything else spirituous to coffee. But, we were kind of pals, I guess. Not much more.

Ironically, she was obviously jealous of girlfriends I acquired and would always find something wrong with them. In fact, she didn’t even like most of my male friends and weirdly, she was resentful of time I would spend with them.

Eventually, her drinking got worse and worse (as alcoholism always does) and she, a former fashion-plate became sloppy and neglectful of her appearance. She and my father battled more, and she also got into contretemps with old friends, and siblings, and everybody else all of whom, wisely, drifted away, and left her alone with her vodka and her bitterness.

And then she died.

I had always wanted to do something about her drinking, and even suggested an intervention long before such things became trendy. My father wouldn’t hear of it and steadfastly refused to accept that ‘his’ wife was a lush who was destroying both her physical and mental health.

So, when she did die, there weren’t many to mourn. That’s mainly because nobody really knew her any more.

I don’t think anybody really knew her – ever. I know I didn’t. She wouldn’t let me in.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger jmb said...

Well you did it. A sad story it is too, of a life wasted and of damage done to innocent children.
Perhaps she didn't choose the conventional path as you say but there was no other path open to her for whatever reason, financial or otherwise.

Once again I would wonder about her childhood. Perhaps you know the details. Although heaven knows you have risen above two very difficult parents.

I guess your lack of feelings when she died was due to some protective coating you'd grown over the years.

The main thing is that you have come to terms with your mother and father's parental deficiencies and moved on.
regards
jmb

4:03 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

You didn't want sympathy, but I do feel bad for you. My Dad was an alcoholic until the day he died and was a mean drunk in his youth, but his last 15 or so years, he was the most affable, loving, giving and fun person. Maybe there really is a difference between beer and liquor. He drank liquor when he was young and switched to beer only around 20 years ago after my brother made an ultimatum. He pretty much drank beer from the time he woke up until he went to bed at night except when he went to work. And in the last 5 years or so he only worked a few hours in the morning. He was always a huggy, lovey person though. I still say alcohol just highlights who you really are.

10:23 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

hi ian, my 1st husband was an alcoholic and literally drank himself to death too. maybe they were battling their own personal demons thru the alcohol, though we know the alcohol won out. i don't know....i guess for me it doesn't matter much now anyway.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I know you're not wallowing, but still, it must be hard.

Reading things like that, I realize that not having children is probably one of the best decisions I ever made. The whole maternal thing? Not so much for me.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

This post hit real close to home Ian.
I guess we have to look at it as parents doing the best they can with what they had. If your mother never knew love in her home then it would have been hard for her to show it to her own family.
Strangely enough I had the same kind of mother...she wasn't an alcoholic but she was very cold...at least to me. She had no idea how to raise a daughter much less an adopted one at that. She loved her sons greatly though for which I am thankful. I found her funeral a bizarre situation where literally dozens were giving their condolences but I didn't feel anything. A few weeks later I remember sobbing uncontrollably and hoping she'd be forgiven for not knowing how to love a daughter. It took a few years but I did move on with a lot more understanding. In the end her coldness taught me how to love.
Thanks for this post Ian and for the now pleasant memories to remember about my own mom.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

That picture says it all. She is standing there, remote from you. And you are such a cute little boy. (You look like her.) I was always an affectionate, warm and loving mother to my daughter. She hates me. You can't win.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I always maintain that the mother is the first person falls in love with, that the bonding is so special. It is an unconditional love.

I am very maternal, in fact my boys want me to lay off a bit. But I agree that not everybody is the same.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

jmb: my mother perceived her childhood to also be one of emotional deprivation. Yet, her siblings never felt that. And yes, probably in her day, the paths of life were limited.

Geewits: I agree with you that alcohol 'usually' highlights who you are, with less inhibition. But, when you get to the chronic syndrome stage there is actual brain damage happening and some pretty big mental illness. Actually, it masks alzheimers.

Heiress child: Thank you for your comments and it's good you have moved on.

Jazz: My friend I have often thought my mother shouldn't have had children, and I applaud anybody who makes that conscious decision. On the other hand, if dear old Mom hadn't had kids, then I just would not be writing this.

Janice: You raise an exceptionally good point that we who were 'raised' in unaffectionate homes do not have to be unaffectionate. Wendy said to me one time: "Considering your childhood, it's amazing that you became such a loving person." It was a nice compliment.

Rebecca: You know, I never did look closely at the body language in that picture and, you're right, it tells so much. Even the expression on my toddler face says a lot. Thank you for that.

Ellee: Your boys are very lucky and, even when I was young, I so envied kids who had that kind of maternal connection.

9:11 AM  
Blogger noneofyourbusiness said...

Ian, this one broke my heart - for you, for the mother's warmth that you never experienced ... and for your mother, because she certainly must have been a very unhappy woman.

I think you said a mouthful:

I don’t think anybody really knew her – ever. I know I didn’t. She wouldn’t let me in.

It makes a person wonder what she was afraid of.

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home