Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Sometimes you just get a feeling

This morning I had a sad conversation with a cherished friend. This is a woman with whom I work periodically (she’s a filmmaker) and she is somebody I’ve known since she was just past being a slip-of-a-girl in the later 1980s. We worked next door to each other (I at a newspaper, and she at a TV studio), and we ended up becoming friends. Not ‘that’ sort of friend; though I confess the idea did cross my mind a few times. Nothing happened in that regard, but we remained pretty steadfast in our friendship.

Later, when she moved away, and after our respective marriages had dissolved, we would visit each other and stay at each other’s places – in an entirely respectable manner. It was one of those opposite sex friendships in which no boundaries can be pushed, just so the friendship can remain intact.

Anyway, as my life was a little fractured on the domestic front for a number of years, it was less so than hers. By the time she was 30 she had two failed marriages behind her, and two children from each of the marriages. Then, as years passed, she met somebody else and embarked on a third marriage, and had another child. I was happy for her this time around, because he seemed like a great guy and also appeared comfortable in taking on the two children, who came as a package with the pretty mommy.

Anyway, this morning I phoned her because I am back in my ‘alternate’ community, which is where she lives. She told me she had some good news for me, and that is that a film-project in which I am to be involved with her, has been accepted by the principals in the story, so that will throw some fairly lucrative work my way.

And then she told me that she had some “bad news” and that was that she and husband Number Three had split over the weekend! I was quite flabbergasted by her news and, of course, felt immediate sympathy for her after having received a message I wasn’t anticipating.

Or was I?

There was something. Women are supposed to have intuition about such matters, but theoretically men do not. Yet, for some reason, right from the time I first met her husband – one of those guys who falls easily into that “prince of a fellow” category, whom I liked immediately – there was, as I say, ‘something.’

As I say, I’ve known her for a long time and we were always quite ‘non-intimate’ close – probably a bit more like simpatico siblings than anything else – so maybe I have instincts I didn’t realize I had. I said to Wendy when I told her (and she was almost more flabbergasted than I) that I’d always had the uneasy feeling about the marriage that it would eventually be a matter of ‘when’ rather than ‘if’ it would come to an end.

She’d never told me there were problems, other than the normal stuff. But I somehow read that the ‘problems’ were deeper than anybody was verbally letting on.

So, there she is, this bright, creative, striking, witty female who just turned 40 with three kids from her three marriages, adrift once more. That part I don’t understand. And my instincts about my dear friend don’t tell me for a second why her relationships don’t work. To me she'd be a prize at all levels.

Maybe they’ll work it out. My gut tells me they won’t. Sometimes you just get a feeling.

12 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

Oh, wow.
Well, I hope they do work it out, but you're right...sometimes you just 'know'.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I've had that gut feeling about friends before, always hoping it would be wrong. And I don't think it's a male or female thing, it's more a feeling you get when you know a person well.

Often I think the person knows somewhere deep down too, without wanting to.

1:17 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I've never been able to figure out why some marriages last and others don't. Most, although not all by any means, of my friends are still married to their first and only husbands after more than 40 years. Some of the divorced ones were married for more than 20 years, even 30. It's a mystery to me. I never took it for granted that my marriage would last, although it has.
I'm very sorry for your friend that she is going through this for the third time along with her children who are so much affected as well. She needs her friends at this time, so be there for her.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Mari said...

Sorry to say but you've gotta know that it takes two to make a marriage and two to break it. Did it ever occur to you that maybe she isnt quite the prize you think she is? You admit you did'nt get to the sexual level so very possibly she has other levels that you also know nothing about.
Re the uneasy feeling you had of their marriage and the "something" you felt could very well have been jealousy.

2:10 AM  
Blogger Belizegial said...

As 'someone' once mentioned, life is a crap shoot. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

Your friend has three children (her legacy) AND she is gainfully employed in a very competitive arena.

From what I can tell, there are more positives than negatives in her life.

4:01 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

I honestly believe that some people just aren't meant to be married. Yes, people love companionship and closeness; however, that doesn't mean that every person should be--or needs to be--married to another in order to have a companion.

Some individuals are better friends than spouses. So that might be why you find your friend to be such a catch/prize/whatever... she very likely is a great woman. But just because someone is a great friend, mother, employee doesn't mean that he or she would be a wonderful spouse.

I dunno. That might not even be her situation. Maybe it really isn't her in the marriages; maybe she's just had a run of bad luck. Who knows. Just continue to be her friend.

7:19 AM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

yep, sometimes we do just get "that feeling"...and i have known one or two very intuitive men...i think we just have another word for it!

cheers for now,
pj

12:13 PM  
Blogger noneofyourbusiness said...

Ian, I'm very sorry for your friend. I can't imagine having three children, and being, as you put it, "adrift."

I hope that somehow, things work out for her, and for the children - who've also got to be suffering because of all of this.

Thanks for sharing that, Ian.

5:10 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

she may be bright, creative, striking, and witty, but unfortunately these aren't what constitutes a good marriage relationship. sometimes when one relationship doesn't work out, instead of doing a thorough self-examination, people jump into another relationship, taking baggage with them.

i'm sorry too to hear about her marriage not working out. it takes two to make a marriage work, and it's never too late to make it work as long as both people are living and willing. a key word is "work." marriage is work, but there's lots of fun too.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Wonderful narrative. You have the gift of a great story teller or a novelist. It's a pity that the woman had to go thru three failed marriages. But that's life. We may have the best intentions for our friends, however close they are to us, but in the end they have to fend for their own lives. There's nothing we can do except perhaps pray that the good Lord would bless her with a marriage arranged in heaven.

I once was asked to say a little prayer to a young couple, some sort of a spiritual wish for them. I vividly remember what I said to them, and to the whole audience as well. I said that unless Jesus Christ be at the center of one's marriage, there is no guarantee that it will work out and last. If given the chance, I would give that same advice to your friend.

Thanks for the very interesting post you did. God bless you with the very best that life can offer.
I will include you in my linked blogs.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

I feel bad for her. It's a tough lot. Obviously, she's an optimist. So was I ...with the same results (only, with one of the bastards, I had two children) Try to hold your head up in society with "four children from three fathers" hanging over your head :-(

Oh, well...I wouldn't want to do without even one of those precious children - the men, I could definitley do without. Go figure.

8:21 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

kyrie irving shoes
kd 11 shoes
lebron 16
goyard
fitflop
zx flux
balenciaga
supreme new york
balenciaga
jordan 4

4:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home