Tuesday, July 10, 2007

An attitude to warm the cockles of Mr. Burns' heart

So, here’s the thing: We Canadians are inclined to be smug bastards, and given to thinking that most everything that happens north of the 49th Parallel (i.e. the border with the US) is more honorable and upstanding, and always done with the best of intentions and prompted by no petty venal interests.

Ha!

Here is my case-in-point in decrying certain national traits of infinite politeness that haven’t prompted my fellow citizens to rise up in outrage at the outrageous rip-offs we’re undergoing, and in decrying a national government that is doing sweet-bugger-all to address this nonsense.

So, now here is that old aforementioned case-in-point: On Saturday I visited a well-known Victoria, BC bookstore. I picked up a particular volume thinking I might be interested in reading it. On the back the price was listed: $14.95 US/$22.95 CAN. Huh? What was that all about? It obviously hasn’t come to the booksellers’ attention that the Canadian dollar is sitting at around 95-cents on the Greenback. That’s a dinky little five percent. Yet, those bozos were expecting me to pay an extra 65 percent for the privilege of buying that book. I’m going to be going to the US in September. I shall buy it there, thank you very much. I’ll also buy whatever other items I can get my hands on rather than offering my trade to self-seeking and gouging Canadian merchants who are still selling at the prices they charged when the balance was abut 70-cents on the US dollar a few years ago.

Books are outrageous enough, but there are absolute horror tales from people buying electronic hardware, or even stuff as simple as DVDs and other items. And cars! Hey, Canadian dealers, surprise-surprise, folk are going across the border to buy vehicles that are selling for 10-grand or more cheaper than in Canada. If you can get an Accord for $25,000 in Washington State, why the hell would you pay $35,000 in Canada?

This is damn foolishness on the part of Canadian businesses (the illustration above is designed to represent Caadian business and its attitude in this matter), and remarkably shortsighted. They decry the fact that Canadians are inveterate cross-border shoppers (even when the exchange rate is lousy), and then they do their level-best to encourage that cross-border shipping.

Anyway, that is my rant this morning, and I encourage my fellow Canadians to write to or email their MPs to demand that businesses be taken to task. I won’t hold my breath, by the way, awaiting that change.

Oh, and I didn’t buy that book. And, I shall buy no further books from that business until they demand that their suppliers lower list prices.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

I've been wondering the same thing since our dollar went up.

Funny enough, books in French, though more expensive than their English counterparts are priced pretty much on par with the Euro price printed on them.

How come they can do it for books that are printed clear across the ocean, but not for books printed, most probably, directly in Canada?

Mr. Burns would indeed love this.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I just get my books from Amazon. I have just ordered the Alastair Campbell Diaries, as well as some fiction set in Greece for my holiday reading this summer.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

Ugh. I hate paying so much. But I love books.
I'm a big fan of libraries for exactly that reason.
Authors should complain too, it's their books that aren't selling 'cus it's too damned expensive.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

I would be with you Ian, except I don't buy books anymore. Hardly ever, anyway. And when I do I give them away. I got so tired of moving boxes and boxes of books every time I changed homes. So now I have one small bookshelf of books, and no more. The library loves me because I have funded the new wing with my late fines.
V.

3:35 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

It certainly is annoying and it's so in your face when the book has it printed right there on the cover. I buy books online mostly where they are often deeply discounted and no shipping costs with a minimum order. But note books from Britain, they usually cost more in Britain with the exchange than the Canadian dollar price on the cover. It's all a mystery.
I find CDs however are much the same price in the US, sometimes more.

This business of the electronic goods is also a rip-off. It's not even as though those goods are made in the US. So how come I can buy the same Canon camera in the States for $150 less, even paying the exchange? Here everything is pretty well list price, with maybe $20 off but in the States there are very deep discounts.

Grumble, grumble, gripe, gripe. I'm not too polite to complain.

4:25 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Hey at least you guys don't have the low-flow shower heads and toilets. The next time I need a new shower massage thing I'm going to get a nice Canadian to buy it for me so I can have a shower with SOME FREAKIN WATER PRESSURE.

11:10 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

agreed, on all points...

BUT, as always, they 'charge what the market will bear...' so, if we are stupid enough to pay, they are happy enough to take our $$$

4:32 AM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

hi ian, i think things like this happen in other places for other wares too. for instance, some people go to north carolina to buy furniture directly from the outlets because it's cheaper. people used to go to detroit to buy cars there because it's cheaper; don't know if they still do. i've always noticed the US/Canadian price difference, but didn't exactly know why.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Harry Potter as an example:

Amazon.com (US) = $17.99 (US) $18.93 (CDN)
Amazon.ca = $22.50 (CDN) = $21,39 (US)

For Harry Potter even Amazon is 19% higher. So I wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper just to buy all our books from Amazon (US) then Amazon (CDN)

9:54 AM  
Blogger CS said...

I'm a fan of buying books used on Amazon. But I wasn't even aware of the attitude issue - here I was thinking my country had a monoploy on smugness.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Good for you Ian...it's time we Canadians stood up for ourselves whether in The US or right here on the home-front.

To Geewits: a lot of our new homes now have the shower-saver installed too - along with toilets that plug easily because of poor water pressure.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Ian,
I'm not Canadian so I can't write or call the attention of your MP's regarding the situation you mentioned in your post. But I agree with you 100%. Those businessmen and retailers must not shortchange their fellow citizens of their hard earned bucks by their gross pricing schemes vis a vis the US and Canadian dollar exchange rate. That's highway robbery.

Thank you for bringing this out in the open. I'm sure many Canadians are also miffed by this kind of pricing policy by some commercial establishments.

God bless you for more all the noble causes you are espousing.

6:26 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Hear! Hear! I've been bitching and moaning on the same topic lately.

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home