Thursday, July 12, 2007

Sometimes a guy just has to say 'no!'

Last evening I turned down a freelance offer. I hated to do that, primarily because I like money (and the offer would have paid quite admirably), and because any boost to a person’s credibility in the highly competitive media world can only be a good thing.

But, I said, “No, thank you,” and I said it without a moment’s hesitation. What clinched it for me when this nice lady from a Toronto media company – and she was a nice lady, and I enjoyed chatting with her – ran the concept past me and then offered the sentiment, “I don’t think it should be dangerous.” Which, of course, means it could be very fucking dangerous. Which, of course, means that I don’t want to do “dangerous” just for some ego or back account-driven impulse. I am very happy this morning that I declined her offer last night.

What the gig involved was a sort of ambush journalism in which I ferret out certain scumbags, hoods and societal trash to set them up for interviews by the film company concerning their friend (or relative, as the case may be) who is shortly to be paroled from a federal prison. The guy in question just finished doing a ‘dime’ (sorry, but I’m a L&O fan, and love the jargon) for a vicious and unprovoked attack on a young guy. An attack that left his victim brain-dead and comatose for however long the poor lad might live.

Again, no thanks. These are bad people. I dealt with enough bad people when I ran a rehab, so I think I’ve walked sufficiently on the sleazy side for this lifetime.

I must confess, however, that for a fleeting second I was slightly enticed. Life, to be complete, should have elements of adventure about it. And, I have had lots of adventures – good and bad – in my life. I regret none of them. Well, not entirely true. I regret some of them specifically because at the time they were quite horrible. But, I don’t regret them generally because they add to the mosaic of my life. A life that has been, at least, interesting because I chose to not run away from situations that in truth turned my bowels to water and made me want to hide in my bedroom.

But, in this case, as my Toronto friend told me about the projected plan, I only thought that if I were a young buck, recently in the news-garnering business, I would be up for it. It’s a job for a young guy. She agreed. And when she contacted me she had no idea what my age was.

I have a nice home (two nice homes, as a matter of fact, though I only own one of them), a loving wife, whom I also love dearly, relatively good health, I think, and a fairly positive view of the world. I think I have finally earned the right to pick and choose what I want to do.

And, this was a further walk on the wild side I just didn’t want to take. There is no fool like an old fool, they say. But, there is such a thing as being a damn fool. I don’t choose to be.

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Janice Thomson said...

How very wise that the incentive of money did not make you choose to turn your head the other way...Kudos to you my friend.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

God knows we're exposed to enough sleaze in this life without going out looking for it.

You did well, you've earned your comfort.

Besides, you can't have adventures if I can't. So there (and for the record I don't think of events inspiring haiku as adventures).

Oh, and I'll be doing that meme...

8:59 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

"I don't think it will be dangerous"

Amazing how IF we really listen, people really tell us things.

Glad you made your decision the way you did. From the heart and with the gut. Instincts are great, ain't they?


PS: Did Wendy proofread your MS yet?

10:10 AM  
Blogger sally in norfolk said...

Great to be able to say no when you want too....some people never can !

11:34 AM  
Blogger Voyager said...

I am very happy to know you will be safe and sound. Good decision.
(P.S. the link to spindriftanddreams in your tag post is misspelled, so it does not work.)
V.

2:04 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

from the ladies' perspective you did very well, ian... and i agree

question: could you not have used a nom de guerre?

3:33 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Smart decision Ian. You've too much to lose. "I don't think it should be dangerous." Famous last words, probably the same ones Custer used just before riding into Little Big Horn. ;o) ÙThere's trouble enough in our lives without going looking for it.

6:23 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Good choice, Ian. I'm glad you didn't opt for an assignment, no matter how intriguing and lucrative, that would endanger you and your loved ones.

There does come a time when we no longer need to prove our machismo or talent, and are free to avoid known dangers.

It's comforting to know that you are safe in your bed tonight, and your life.

8:26 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Can you refer her to me? (I need the cash.)

Funny that I'm reading this post just as I'm watching yet another of a zillion L&O reruns. I'm at the age now where, if I haven't seen one for a couple of years, I can't remember how it turns out... :). You did the right thing, but I sure get the attraction!

Must now catch up on your other posts...

8:29 PM  
Blogger OCD On A Stick said...

I'm a Law and Order fan myself. Although, SVU has been disappointing me lately.

I think that you made a good decision, btw.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

Adventure: fun
Potentially dangerous low-lifes: not so fun

Yeah, I'd rather avoid assignments in life that seem to call for danger pay too. :)

10:51 PM  
Blogger Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Ian,
It takes a lot of character to say no to a financially tempting offer. But you have your scruples and I'm glad you were able to keep them and say no to the shady deal.

My hats off to you. Thanks for another thought provoking article.

God bless you with more of your wit, humor and wisdom.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

Sounds like you made the right choice.

Adventure and stupidity do not have to go hand in hand...

4:36 AM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

wow, makes me wonder what would get described as a dangerous assignment.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I don't blame you, it sounds very sordid, you wouldn't want to touch that kind of money. I also recently turned down a job because I didn't like the motives, and I don't regret it either. Though I may not be nearly as rich as you.

9:52 AM  
Blogger CS said...

Good choice - it's a good sign about your career when you can so no to work that does appeal to you.

But...did you just use the fuck-word?? I thought that was on your no-go list.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

That freelance job sounds like a real kneecap breaker. Someone will take it because greed or financial desperation can overrule common sense.

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home