Thursday, July 19, 2007

A little more than a mere face in the crowd

A guy I know died last weekend. He was only 58. According to the tale he was utterly riddled with cancer, and had no idea he was so ill. Maybe that was better. Who knows? We can't ask him about it.

I was somewhat shocked when I heard about his unanticipated death. That wasn’t because he was a close friend; he was more of a business acquaintance than anything else. But, he was a guy I’d known in the community for many years.

A few years ago he got involved in some behavior that was questionable (I’ll elaborate no more than that), and due to the ensuing scandal he was forced to resign in disgrace from assorted high-profile positions he held. None of what he did was really criminal, per se. Just stupid.

Anyway, he thoroughly cleaned up his act and in so doing was able to redeem his stature in the community. Good for him. I admire that a lot. He didn’t whine or bleat that he’d been treated unfairly. He was merely of the opinion “I fucked up. I guess it’s up to me to make it right.” And he did.

And then he died -- much too young.

That hardly seems fair.

Death is an odd thing, and we all deal with it differently. I read a good insight on somebody’s blog this morning, in which the writer said, referring to the death of her brother many years ago: “Time does not heal all wounds.”

It’s true. It doesn’t.

I also recall my late mother-in-law once saying after one of her siblings had died: “Every death of somebody close diminishes us just a little bit.” That’s true, too.

The people in our lives are part of us. We cannot help but be struck by the passing of somebody close. The lives of those who survive will never be quite the same after a major loss. And, as in the case I write about today, we are even diminished a little bit by lesser losses. Needless to say, any death of somebody we know also reminds us that such is our destiny, too.

When I was 38 one of my best friends from university died tragically in an accident. He was a terrific person; funny, smart, caring, devoted husband and father, a great guy to crack a beer with or go fishing with (both of which we did quite regularly), and all those virtues. And then he died. Took me a long time to get over that one, and I probably never truly have. I still think about him.


Yet, I think good thoughts, amusing thoughts and am grateful that he added something to the mosaic of my life. I’m grateful that his piece of the mosaic is fully intact still, even if he isn’t. Others I have known and who have now gone did the same. So, while my MIL’s thought that death diminishes us may be true, the lives of 'our' people increases us, so it’s all part of the balance.

Anyway, such are my thoughts this Thursday morning on “birth, death and the whole damn thing.”



Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

syncronicity again. just last night i told my daughter that i have a feeling that my mom might be close to death (well, she is of the age, but still...)...i am having these foreboding feelings about death, even my own (maybe i am depressed?)

Anyway, 58 is young to die these days, even tho' many people do...

I was upset last week when i heard that a distant "uncle" who i was very fond of keeled over while on a walk in the park...

I guess when people close to us die it makes us ponder the inevitable, more than we would normally do.

Although i am not really ready to depart this world, i am somewhat curious about "being dead"...i wonder if there is anything beyond that?

12:01 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

The one very close person to me who died is my dad - over 20 years later I still miss him immensely.

I remember Mamie (Mr. Jazz's grandmother) saying how it was horrible to be very old and have all your friends and relatives dead before you.

Hmmm. This comment didn't turn out at all like I expected it would.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Being one of those that faces death on a daily basis because of high blood pressure and kidney disease (one leads to the other and vice versa) I understand the loss you talk of. I can also say that I appreciate so much more everyone who does pass through my life and sometimes it is the small unexpected losses that are remembered the most. Meanwhile I give what I can when I can, right here and right now because tomorrow might not come for me...and that's my bit on birth, death and the whole dam thing LOL.
Is that rose from your garden Ian? Is is spectacular and I cam smell it from here...

2:20 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I like your MIL's line. It's poetic. After my Dad died, I realized that a large part of my identity was that of a "Daddy's girl." But how can you be a Daddy's girl without a Dad? So his death wiped out a large part of my self-identity. It was very strange.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Thank you Janice, for your comments. Yes, the rose is from my garden. I bought it to commemorate Wendy's getting her MBA from Royal Roads this spring.
And, for you, my dear, may God love you sufficiently to keep you around to enlighten the rest of us for many, many years to come.
Ian

2:40 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

As I was reading your post, I was thinking, 'But we are filled with the person also'. Exactly your conclusion, & I feel it all a balance. But it is also true, the scars always remain.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Except for beloved grandparents, who mostly lived a good long life, I have been spared the pain of losing someone close, or too soon. But I love your sentiment that while they take part of you with them, they added to the mosaic of your life. So it balances out. Lovely.
V.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Bibi said...

Mmm, makes you think doesn't it.

When we injure our flesh it heals but leaves a scar that might aggravate us at certain times. I think it's the same with emotional wounds. They heal over, but are never quite the same. The wounded area may a little tougher from scar tissue, but there's always a vulnerabilty about it.

Sorry to hear about your colleague.

5:25 PM  
Blogger the last noel said...

I knew a guy who was a health freak. He did everything to keep healthy, from eating well to using a condom. One day he found out he had stomach cancer and would be dead in 30 days.

7:16 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

I know of whom you speak, and his death was so swift and unanticipated that it has left a lot of people stunned and bewildered. We really do have to be thankful for every moment in the sun we can enjoy, don't we.... This seems to be the theme of the summer around here.

8:10 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

But isn't it fortuitous that your friend lived long enough to rectify his earlier bad choices, and to thus demonstrate that it is always possible to change our lives?

It sounds as if he was shorted, but perhaps by an accounting system we cannot fathom, his life was exactly the right length, as everyone's is.

We just always hope to get as much as we possibly can in this as in everything, for such is human nature.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I have lost several young friends too, I really feel for the families who are left to grieve. It shows how we must make the most of our lives.

3:20 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

It is very sad I think when someone dies well before their time.

One of the things I find distressing is that often a lot of personal history dies with death and now you will never know the answer to questions you would like to have asked them while they were alive but didn't get around to. I felt this particularly after my mother died.
Good post as usual Ian, you got us all thinking.
regards
jmb

7:20 AM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

ooh, Ian. great topic to mull over. reading this reminded me of my 2005/2006 episodes where i lost three close friends/could be considered family members. makes me think of the phrase, Life's a bitch, and then you die.

a bit brash, sorry.

3:12 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

i'm with you, still coming to grips, many years later, with the deaths of my mom, then my best friend, and soon after, my sister... huge holes in my soul nothing can fill

4:42 AM  
Blogger CS said...

It might have been quite a bit sadder if he'd died before he set things right. I guess each death of a loved one diminishes us, but the postiive side is that each life of a loved one enriches us, even if brief.

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home