Sunday, July 22, 2007

Why, it's more exciting than the Second Coming

In all innocence yesterday I strolled into a noted Victoria bookstore yesterday and was met by not only a mass of juvenile attendees at a place that is normally populated by adult sorts of browsers, but also of staffers dressed in witches’ hats, and make-up of indiscernible (by me) origin, and various types of regalia and wondered, if only for seconds, what was going on, since Halloween had long-since passed and the next one wasn’t on the immediate horizon. It was the 21st of July, for heaven’s sake.

Well, silly me for being so out of the loop. It was, of course, the massively engineered and uber-hyped launch of the latest Harry Potter tome. Yet, judging by the crowds and their enthusiasm, you would have thought that Madonna had agreed to strip in the town square for all of those who might still actually care if she did doff bra and knickers.

This HP extravaganza was engineered, obviously, to create more mass ecstasy than Christ’s last foray into Jerusalem. It never ceases to amaze me how the ‘machine’ of crass and venal publicity can sway once it sets out to perform its wonders.

As I have written before, I have read none of the J.K. Rowling opus. Not out of any particular bias other than seeing the series as a series for children. Yet, I fully accept that adults sometimes like a foray into fantasy, and that is good. Indeed, I might even read one someday, out of curiosity as much as anything else. In other words, I think it is fine that a writer has been successful in creating and oeuvre that appeals, even at a mass level. HP is fashionable and, like all fashions, it will ultimately become passé for a time. But, if it is truly worthy, it will then assume a respectable place in the literary pantheon, as have the works of Shakespeare, Dickens, Twain, Hemingway, and Steinbeck. Cool.

A virtue almost constantly trumpeted about HP is that it is “getting children to read.” Don’t be decrying “getting children to read” in this post-literate era. That’s akin to peeing on the tomb of Princess Diana, or daring to suggest that maybe Global Warming is something trumped up by the manufacturers of fluorescent overpriced lightbulbs and hybrid cars.

But, of the “getting children to read” argument, ‘Newfie Bullet’ columnist, Rex Murphy, writing in Saturday’s Globe and Mail about the HP onslaught and -- soothing to my ego -- sharing some of the opinions I had voiced to Wendy yesterday, stated that the problem with the ‘reading’ argument if indeed HP is actually “getting children to read,” is that the humongous HP hype takes reading away from what it is designed to be – a solitary act of entertainment, enlightenment, or relaxation. Reading is something carried out in bed at night if nothing more enchanting is happening, in front of a roaring fire, or to kill time on the train, or at an airport. It is not a group endeavor. Never has been.

My primary fear in that context is that HP ‘overkill’ will ultimately destroy whatever goodness has come from the HP phenom. It will be relegated to faddism, flavor of this moment in 2007, a literary (albeit far less hideous) Victoria Beckham, and then it will crash and burn, and children who might have actually gotten a bit interested in reading will turn away from the practice because the ‘machine’ no longer deems it current. HP stands in jeopardy, in other words, of “jumping the shark” or bouncing around on Oprah’s couch like Tom-Terrific did (and whose creds have never really recovered from that bit of misjudgment), and passing out of favor due to overkill.

When that happens the hypemeister boys and girls of marketing will move onto something else, and what could have been a ‘good’ moment in literary history, even an ‘enlightened’ one, will be discarded like yesterday’s, oh, Globe and Mail.

That would actually be sad. But, maybe that will be when I’ll pick up a copy in the remaindered bin and give old Harry a go. I might actually like it when finally nobody is telling me that I must.

Labels:

21 Comments:

Blogger We are an internet broadkast where fans submit their videos praising or ripping their favorite team or player in hopes of making the SMACKKAST. said...

cool blog...

if you are interested in sports at all.. check out www.smackkast.com

you can submit your video praising your favorite team or ripping you r hated player...good luck with you blog...

7:06 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I agree Ian that the hype created for some of these books is slightly disgusting to say the least. I'm most certain that Shakespeare's works were never touted in this manner and yet he is one of the most widely read writer of the past and the present and will probably be so in the future too. It is no wonder books cost so much these days - someone has to pay for this and you can be sure it's not the publisher or the writer.

8:46 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

OH NO!! It can't be! I'm actually going to have to disagree on this one! :)

The hype around HP is indicative of our times and there's nothing much we can do about it but to say the hype is the same thing as 'the product' being hyped is just erroneous thinking.

Yes, there's a down side to everything but I think taking the so-called moral high road on this issue has become the default position among the less innocent/more jaded among us because we have an automatic suspicion (and rightly so) of what's popular. I have a friend who is completely unable to make an objective decision about anything culture or pop culture related because she learned early that rejecting anything popular makes her appear more 'interesting' and 'cool.'

In spite of who makes money from it, something that brings kids and adults together, gets them excited about a *book* (not an electronic device, movie or game) that celebrates imagination, adventure and fun, has a moral dimension with layers of meaning and is a damned good yarn to boot -- then who cares who profits? The whole HP phenomenon can be considered the yang to all the negative yin apsects of pop culture, like, say Grand Thefy Auto.

To the naysayers: I suggest trying the Glass Half Full method.

Sermon over. You may now all say "amen" and return to your pews. :)

9:35 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

As you know, I have no interest in HP either. But I think that if the hype gets children to read who do not come from particularly literate homes, it is serving a purpose.

I learned to read before I was four, and when I went to school and had to sit in agonies of daily boredom while my classmates tried to sound out "Dick and Jane," I became a minor juvenile delinquent to entertain myself and get attention.

So although I agree with your assessment of reading as a largely solitary act, most children have to be guided to appreciate it. Kid lit is sweetened further with illustrations. In my opinion, whatever captivates their interest and makes them readers is good.

Hopefully, at least some of these children will develop a craving for books so that when HP goes out of fashion, they will seek out other books to feed their growing hunger. At least, I hope so.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

I have to agree with what has been said here (other than that bit of %$#% spam at the top), and I wasn't of course decrying any worth the books might have, and I cherish anything that gets anybody to read, so I like the discussions and opinions conveyed by people whose opinions I value.
And Heart, my wife said much as you did. If the HP books get kids to move into other literary realms, then it is a very positive thing. That, she felt, and you suggest, will be the genuine test.
Ian

10:28 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Everyone here is talking as if the Potter books are the first books children are reading. Those of us who have children in our lives know that they were reading good children's books before Potter, and they will go on to read other good children's books after Potter. Potter isn't "getting children to read again", it's just a series of books that children enjoy. The marketing hype is created by the savvy grownups. There are lots of wonderful children's books, and there are lots of wonderful children reading them.

11:06 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

i'm of the same mind as andrea...

but of course, at least one canuck is worming his way in, trying to be the next 'hp'... hyping the hell out of his 'nigel flambe' character, on cbc radio-one, only because he happens to work there, kevin sylvester grrrrrr

1:37 PM  
Blogger Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Ian,
As usual you came up with a very witty and intelligent dissertation on the Harry Potter craze. I agree with you 100% that it is just a fad, drummed up by marketing, publishing and movie moguls out to make fast bucks, and in due time, it will fade away just like any other fad.

Thanks for the very insightful and thought provoking post. I enjoyed reading it.

God bless you more with all the wit and wisdom in the world.

4:03 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

i'm not into HP, so i didn't even know people dressed up until i saw pj aka dragonflyfilly's blogpost and yours just now ian. even though people say HP is a fad, star wars and star trek are still going pretty strong after all these years, not to mention superman.

my nephew was telling me about the HP movies, and you know what, i may just rent the videos to see what all the hype is about. who knows, i may get hooked, like i did on the lord of the rings and matrix trilogy, although i didn't dress up as the characters.

good post ian.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Like all fads they phase out eventually. I too am not falling for they hype.

5:02 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Well, I really enjoyed your post. I like to see sacred cows being kicked! & I tend to be a 'reverse snob' of sorts, & wont go for 'what is hot'.
Which is quite silly! But my granddaughter loved the HP books from the start, though she isnt bothered about it now- she is 18.
I loved your references to several 'celebs' who all the the thumbs down from me too! Particularly the hideous beyond belief Beckham tart.

5:20 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Hi Ian,
I too have never read nor ever will the HP books, but it is an interesting phenomenon.
What I think is obscene is the price of the book $45. I know that almost no one is paying that for the book but still it is ridiculous and for a child's book.
I said to my daughter on Saturday morning I wonder if she killed off Harry Potter. She said look in Wikipedia and sure enough 8 hours after release the whole plot was there for you to read should you wish.
regards
jmb

5:21 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Ian, anything that gets kids to read is just fine by me. Yes there's much too much hype and hoopla, but I've had many kids who started reading cuz HP is popular and they get hooked and continue. I've had francophone kids who read HP in French then went on to read it in English. I've had kids that after reading HP went on to read other fantasy books, such as Artemus Fowl and Lord of the Rings. Here in Québec the Québecois equivalent of HP phenomena, is the series of books called "Les Chevaliers de l'Émeraude". Kids discovered them without any hoopla, from word of mouth, from one friend to another and the series has taken off. So yes there is marketing but before that there was a good story that caught the imagination of the kids.

5:50 PM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

i like the way you presented this Post - with the first letter of the first word of the paragraph typed bold.

....peeing on the grave of Princess Di indeed! how ...um...dare i say, blasphamous (correct my spelling as it is late and i don't feel like checking my dictionary)

but that must have been momentarily disturbing, seeing people in costume and knowing it was not Halloween, or did you think you were in a time warp?

i had fun reading this Post, as i am not too interested in reading the books that i have borrowed from the library...when you have a minute please visit "The Blethering Place" and leave me suggestions if you will.

cheers for now,
pj

12:57 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

Ahh...Harry Potter...

Shudder.

First of all, I TRIED to read the first HP book. I sat down, I started reading...and a hundred pages into it, I put it down and said, "WTF is the big deal??" I did not like it--and I never finished it. I've read (and enjoyed) some real crap in my day, so that says a lot. Needless to say, I haven't tried to read any of the other books in the series and I haven't watched any of the films. Yet, I am going to Wikipedia to find out if she killed off Harry...hehehe...

I know that in some cases, the HP books encourage *some* people (not just children--I do love the crossover factor involved with the novels) to read more. But it's just like anything else--some people will seek other stories, other authors; some people will be satisfied with HP and the "cool" factor that goes along with it.

I can't remember the exact program, but some news show here in the states did a study and found that HP didn't really increase a person's love of reading. Most people (young and old alike) who read lots of stuff besides HP were reading lots of stuff before HP even came out. Who knows. That study itself might have been biased or screwy.

Wow, I've babbled quite a bit, and I don't think I really said anything at all!

9:58 AM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

me, "shudder", that sums it up perfectly!

3:50 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I have read all of Harry Potter so far and will no doubt read the 7th. Actually, the only "child litereature" aspect of is it that the protagonists are youngsters. Change them out for adults and it would do very well as an adult story. This being said, I'm a fantasy fan, so maybe I'm more well disposed. Plus I love kid-lit. I just read the Narnia series again last year...

However, this whole "It's getting children to read hype annoys me." Actually it's getting children to read Harry Potter. I wonder how many of them actually read more now than before that series. I'd like to see the stats on that...

8:38 AM  
Blogger CS said...

Tsk, tsk. Why let a book series get your ire up? Many of us, kids and adults, love them. Can we just let that be what it is?

10:48 AM  
Blogger CS said...

And incidentally, loathe as I am to disagree with someone I really respect and like, I have noticed that most of the HP-bashing posts start with a version of "I haven't actually read any of the books, but here is everything wrong with them."

10:51 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Dear cs: I take your point, and well considered it is. In my earlier HP blog I was a tad on the bitchy side, but in this one I was actually intending to decry the hype, not the works themselves. But, unless I've read them, you're right, I cannot criticize.
And, thank you for the compliment. I like and respect you, too.

11:43 AM  
Blogger CS said...

The hype is a bit silly, and obviously designed to generate more income for the author and the publishing house, but certainly no worse than the hype that goes along with, say, the Superbowl. And at least this is about reading! But I'll be interested to hear your take - probably they'd appeal most to fantasy/sci fi fans.

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home