Wednesday, July 25, 2007

'Nuther cuppa joe fer me, Dot'

George Carlin has an absolutely hilarious sketch in which he heatedly explains how he hates guys named Todd, not to mention Scott, Jason, Justin and all the other new-fangled names. He wonders whatever happened to guys with ‘real’ names, like Eddie. You know, like Fast Eddie, the poolshark Paul Newman played in The Hustler.

Now, all you Todds and Scotts, don’t get pissed off with me about this, George said it, not I. But, the real point of the issue is, how names, male and female have changed so profoundly over the years as they slip in and out of fashion.

Male babies born in Edwardian times and for decades after as often as not were stuck with the name Edward, consequently we get Carlin’s Eddies. My dad’s first name was George and, of course, the King at the time of his birth (1916) was George V. Georgie-Porgie Bush got his ‘George’ from his father, who quite possibly was named in deference to either the King of England or George Washington, who was probably named after George I or II of England.

Where the hell Ian came from, I have no idea. I hated my name when I was little because I didn’t know any other Ians. Then, when I was about 10 another Ian moved to the neighborhood, and that made it seem more acceptable since he was a pretty neat kid.

But, I don’t want to dwell so much on male names as I do on female. Female names today are profoundly different from when I was a kid. When I was in elementary school we just had a whole slew of Lindas, Carols, Judys, Trudys, Susans, Annes, Wendys, Dianes, Karens, Sheilas, Shirleys and a bunch of others. Like you could always recognize a ’55 Chevy, you could also recognize a female born around that time because she probably sports on of the aforementioned names.

The female names I like best, however, are the ones you just never hear anymore. Those were the names sported by friends of your mother or grandmother, depending on your age.

Like, when did you last run into a female born since 1920 who was named ‘Madge?’ The last Madge of my recall was the manicurist who soaked her clients’ fingers in Palmolive liquid. She not only was named Madge, she looked like a Madge. She could never have been a Chelsea, for example.

Those great old names had associations that were either fair or unfair, but all you had to do was hear the name of a woman you’d never met, and you formed a visual image of her. I’ll list a few of them. If one of them happens to be your name, please don’t take umbrage. You might, for example, be an absolutely wonderful Gladys (Wendy’s late Mom’s name, so I can get away with this example.)

Dot: Dot is a waitress in a diner. She has a pencil stuck behind her ear and she licks the tip of it before she takes your order on her pad. She has a heart-of-gold and always makes sure the truckers have their coffee topped up. The truckers love Dot.

Bertha: There’s no way around this. Berthas are big and fat. The name sounds big and fat. The Allies name the huge German cannon ‘Big Bertha’ for understandable reasons.

Lola: Lolas are a bit on the slutty side, but in a kind of sensual way. They are peroxide blondes who smoke heavily and like their martinis just a little too much. "Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets."

Wanda: Wandas, on the other hand, are also a bit slutty, but in a more basic manner. Wendy has a perfectly respectable friend named ‘Wanda’ but I always have to bite my lip slightly when she mentions her name, just to refrain from making a lewd comment.

Myrtle: Now, there’s an old-fashioned name with which to conjure. You hardly ever run into Myrtles these days. Myrtles worked in the same small-town bank for 40 years; they were maiden ladies (as they were called in those days), but were quite jolly sorts, and pillars at serving at the church’s annual strawberry tea.

Daisy: My mother-in-law had a friend named Daisy whose last name, before she married was – wait for it – ‘Duck’. This is absolutely true. When the cartoon character came out she opted for using her second name, Margaret.

Mabel: Mabels worked in the local five-and-dime. They were salt-of-the-earth and if you had a question about any of the merchandise you always went to Mabel because she had been working there since Lincoln was president and she knew everything about everything within its walls. A different Mabel was a bar waitress, if you remember the old beer slogan: “Hey, Mabel. Black Label!”

Blanche: Blanche was the head nurse at the local hospital. Blanche RN, if you prefer. Severe but probably attractive in her day. She was rumored to have once had a torrid affair with a married surgeon, who then left her in his wake when he ran off with a comely young LPN named Marcia. Marcias were inclined to be on the cute and on the flirtatious side, in my experience.

Anyway, I could go on and on with this, but will refrain. But, please, think kind thoughts about all the Hortenses and Millicents you might have known in your life – you might never see their names pass this way again.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

For me, Mabel will always remain the name of a cow - a literal cow, the four legged kind.

As for Blanche, she will always be Blanche Dubois from Streetcar.

Do tell Ian, what does Lilian evoke for you as names go?

1:10 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Lilian is a floral name, as in lily. It's a feminine name, and it also reminds me of our school secretary, Lilian Machin, who was one of the most intelligent and witty people I've had the privilege to know. And, I'm not just saying that to butter you up. I honestly think it's a very pretty name.
Cheers,
Ian

1:42 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

My Mom, my paternal grandomother and great grandmother were all called "Dot". Short for Dorothy. Another lovely old name seldom used now.
I too am a lover of Paul Theroux. Um, that did not sound right, but you know what I mean!
V.

2:04 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

what a great post ian. my mom's name is mabel (ugh! i'm glad she didn't name me after her, though sylvia isn't far behind). she would have been the mable in the five & dime store vs the bar.

today, people name their children after cars, hotels, cities, foods, countries, etc.

3:12 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

I remember being on a train in Italy when I was 19 and meeting a bunch of Italina boys. When I told them my name they laughed out loud and teased me about it, Andrea being a common man's name in Italy.

3:19 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

oops! no offense ian.

7:38 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

hmm... interesting post

in my neck of the woods, all the kids had interesting names, lots of immigrants in smalltown southern ontario, where i grew up

as i moved from province to province, similar ones would crop up, along with the lindas, marys and karens, joes, bobs and johns....

4:12 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

My mother's name was Dot and I'm glad she didn't name me that too.

A friend's daughter recently named her new daughter Maisie which we thought was horrible. She had read it in a book and loved it.

The truth is we never like the name we were given by our parents. I wished I had been called Fiona and later Roxanne. It changed every few years as my tastes changed.

Good post as usual Ian. (It could have been spelled Iain which would have confused everyone no end.)
regards
jmb

10:00 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

You always have such unique posts Ian.
Interestingly enough I have an English first name with a Scottish last name, was born to a French mother and then adopted out. That's quite a bit of ancestry I think LOL.
My name was supposed to be pronounced Juh-eese with the appropriate accent mark and emphasis on the Juh but apparently the minister was a tad deaf so it became Jan-iss. Oh the things one finds out about a name!

12:38 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

It's true that names go in cycles, and it is easy to determine a person's age by their name.

I once read a book called "What Not to Name Your Baby" in which it said that Susans (my name) were little and cute and baked cookies. My middle name, Roberta, which I've always hated, was worse:

"Roberta moans a lot and at first you're impressed, but then you begin to wonder if she does it with everyone."

Didn't Daisy Margaret know that both her names meant the same thing? "Margaret" is a form of "Marguerite," which is a daisy flower.

All the old ladies of my childhood had flower or jewel names. My mother was Pearl, daughter of Daisy. She had friends named Ruby, Opal and Beryl.

8:52 PM  
Blogger CS said...

Yep, I got a '50's name, even though I wasn't alive in that decade.

So about that Daisy - was her name seriously Daisy Margaret? Because Daisy is a nickname for Margaret. (like the flower - also called marguerite). It's like being named Bill William.

It's funny to me the asociations people have to names. Very individual. That's why when you name a baby some people will say, "Oh, I like that!" and others will grimace.

7:48 AM  
Blogger CS said...

Oh, I had't read the comments yet, and I see Heart scooped me on the Daisy-Margaret connection. (Maraget was my middle name growing up).

7:49 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

kyrie 6
nike air max 90
air max 2018
balenciaga shoes
nike air max
air jordan
yeezys
yeezy 500
curry 5 shoes
supreme

4:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home