Tuesday, July 31, 2007

This may be a hint of what I'm really like -- or not

Being in the Tuesday doldrums of sparse creativity, I stole this from Me. It's kind of enjoyable in it's own way. I'm not going to tag anybody, but if you'd like to give it a try it asks for an interesting bit of introspection.

If you could change one thing about your past, without it changing every other aspect of your life, what would it be? I would have gotten married at a later age. I was 24 the first time. Too young.

Are you happy with where you are in life, at this time? Generally speaking, yes. Ideally I’d love to be in a place where I had no financial worries whatsoever, but otherwise I’m in a happy relationship, have a nice home, can indulge whatever talents I might have, and my health seems to be OK. Of course, being rivetingly handsome helps, too. Ha.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, without cost being a deciding factor, where would you go? There are so many places I’d scarcely know where to begin. Ideally (let’s say I’ve won a major lottery) I’d book passage on a luxurious (but smaller, I hate those mammoth barges) cruise liner and book a full year to travel. It would be one of those deals where we could get off and back on as we chose. I’d start with Hawaii, and then back to the South Pacific, New Zealand and Australia, Singapore, the Malay Peninsula, South Africa, Egypt, the Greek Isles, Italy, France, Belgium, England and Ireland, and then down the Eastern Seaboard from Newfoundland to Florida, New Orleans, Austin, San Antonio, then across the Caribbean to Brazil (with assorted island stops), up the Amazon, onward to Argentina, over to Chile, a stop at the Galapagos, on up the coast to Costa Rica, a brief stop at Cabo (just to see if it’s changed much from when I was there in 1993), San Diego, San Francisco, and then home. I’m not greedy, and anyway, it said cost wasn’t a deciding factor. Of course, the foregoing doesn’t cover ‘all’ the places I’d still like to visit.

Do you get along better with the same sex, or the opposite sex? I have some cherished male friends, but generally my closest friends have almost always been female. I like the company of women (not for tacky reasons – oh, sometimes those, too) for reasons I’ve outlined before. Women I generally find are more honest and more sympathetic, and the esthetic works for me, too.

Are you the type of person who prefers one or two close friends, or lots of acquaintances? I have both and they serve different purposes in my life. Close friends, however, are to be cherished and valued and even if one hasn’t been with them for a long time, they are omnipresent in life.

Are you still friends with anyone you went to school with? My friend John, in Australia, have been friends since age 12. Karen, who lives about 50 miles away, has been a friend since kindergarten.

Are you a homebody, or a social butterfly? Essentially I’m a homebody, though I’m not a recluse.

What do you enjoy doing on the weekends? I won’t outline ‘everything’ here, but mainly I like hanging with Wendy; taking a daytrip maybe, working in the garden, going for coffee or lunch. Nothing very dramatic.

If you and one friend were asked to be on a reality TV show, who would you take with you? I loathe reality shows, so I’d pass on this one.

Beer, wine or liquor? Nowadays, none of the above.

What is your relationship status? Married.

Are you happy with your current relationship (or lack thereof)? Utterly. I just hate the fact we have to be apart during the workweek.

What's your idea of the perfect romantic getaway? The two of us on the island of Kauai. Always romantic in every sense of the word.

If you could have a date with any celebrity, who would it be and what would you do? Since the likelihood of having a date with a celebrity is remote for many reasons, I’ll say someone who is dead; the late, brilliant, screamingly funny Judy Holliday. For more basic reasons, the wonderfully beautiful, sexy and equally late, Lee Remick.

Do you think you can love someone, without trusting them? No.

Do you believe it is possible to be in love with someone you've never actually spent time with? No

Do you believe in soul mates? In a way, yes. But, the true definition of ‘soul mate’ is not what we are inclined to think it is – that is someone with whom we are almost universally simpatico. In fact, you can detest a soulmate.

If you do believe in soul mates, have you found yours? Once I did, yes. I will say no more than that.

Which is more intimate, in your opinion... Cuddling or Intercourse? Depends entirely on the mood and needs at the time.

Are you happy with your current career/job? Yes.

Which is more important, your career, or your family (assuming you are married with children)? I have no children, but my wife definitely.

If you answered family to the above question, would your family agree that they are most important? I’d say yes. A job is just a job, for heaven’s sake.

How many hours a week do you work, on average? I work freelance and on contract, so it varies hugely.

Did you choose your current career path for money or enjoyment? Enjoyment.

If you could have ANY job, what would your top three career choices be? I’ve already been there, and currently I like what I’m doing.

What's your biggest strength, when it comes to your job? Intelligence and imagination, combined with a good sense of humor.

Your biggest weakness, or flaw? Lack of self-confidence (sometimes).

Do you take pride in your work, or just hurry through it as quickly as you can? Huge pride. I’m probably too perfectionistic. Consequently, I am also a procrastinator.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger meggie said...

I really enjoyed reading your answers to the questions. Some of which would seem a little silly!
I think I will pass on doing it myself.

4:17 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Er... the questions are silly, I meant, not your answers!

4:18 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

More insights into the life and times of Ian Lidster. Meggie is right, some questions are not so worthy but you handled them with aplomb.
I still keep in touch with a couple of friends with whom I went to school in Australia more than 50 years ago, mostly by mail, but we still get together when I visit.
regards
jmb

9:47 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

good to know, ian... thx for the honesty

3:58 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

Thanks for sharing--silly questions and all. ;)

5:51 AM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

excellent answers and good reading, thnks.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Bibi said...

Interesting--or not, as you say at the top-- perspective on soul mates (that one can actually detest a soul mate).

Isn't it fantastic to do work that you actually love! Even if perfectionism and procrastination do look their ugly heads from time to time.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Interesting... I'll have to do this sometime. Many of our answers will converge I predict.

12:41 PM  
Blogger CS said...

I want to go on that world tour, too. Ah well, one place at a time.

The research on intimacy in friendhips (emotional intimacy, I mean) shows in general, friendships between two women are the most intimate, followed by friendships between a woman and a man, and last friendships between two men.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home