Thursday, May 15, 2008

Hot town, sex in the city

That's about 1982 or '83, if I recall correctly. I've had a haircut since then

Last Friday, after a busy week, I was planning on a lazy day of puttering and maybe even some personal writing. I should have known that was not necessarily to be.

The previous day I had received an email from a journalist in New York who was researching a story for the London Sunday Mirror. The story was on my erstwhile student, Kim Cattrall. He asked if I could send him some factoids on the early days of Miss Kimberley. I wondered at first how the hell he knew I had a connection with KC. As I read on in his email I discovered how.

It was all due to my blog. If you’ll recall, a few weeks ago I wrote a jokingly snarky blog in which I berated Kim for not having mentioned me in a newspaper article. I meant it thoroughly in jest.

Anyway, to make a long story as absolutely short as possible, the Mirror was doing a big feature on Kim due to the fact that Sex and the City was opening in the UK last weekend. The writers wanted to see how so-called Samantha compared with the demure little girl I knew. Therefore, could I pen him a few words in that regard. I obligingly did so, and sent them off.

The next day I got an overseas call from a female writer at the Mirror who told me my musings were ‘wonderful’ and could they use some of them exactly as stated. “Sure,” I said.

A few moments after that, I got a call from the photo editor of the same paper wondering if I had any old photos of Kim from way back when. I said I did. “Could you possibly send them to me?” That meant I had to go out and get them put on disk. But, I did so. I did so because, having worked on English papers, I knew they paid for such assistance. Nice custom, I must say.

During the process, I also had to try to set up with those guys a photo op with Kim’s mother, who lives about 65-miles away. I called her. We had a nice chat. You know, “You must be so proud, and blah-blah-blah …” Actually I knew her already, as the parent of a student, so it wasn’t difficult.

Anyway, I sent all the stuff off and trusted that they got it. In fact, they indicated that they had. They told me they’d send me a link to the story.

They haven’t.

I sent an email Monday making a further inquiry about remuneration, and sent them my postal address and full name, and so forth.

I haven’t heard back from them.

Hope I do. I don’t like blowing off a Friday afternoon for nothing, after I’ve made somebody else’s job easier.

Oh, and I think I already mentioned, I’m not a Sex and the City fan, having only seen it once, I think. Not because I’m prudish – I think faithful readers may have realized that I’m light-years from being prudish – but because I found it rather boring and pointless. As I wrote before, I vastly prefer Chris Noth in Law&Order. And, I vastly prefer Kim in some of the other things she’s done.


Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Brown said...

I watched one and only one episode of Sex and the City. In it, Carrie had a computer issue which was woefully misrepresented. I don't remember what it was exactly, but think in terms of, say, confusing the consequences of a fuse blowing with a house burning down.

"No big deal; it's simply a plot device," one might say, "the only point of the computer problem was to make her do without her computer for an episode." Fine. Then spend a few minutes cleaning up the writing so the facts are correct. Surely one has the budget to do this with such a high profile show?

No matter. After that, I was unable to suspend disbelief long enough to watch the show. Also, I was thoroughly disgusted with how brainless and helpless the Carrie character was, stamping her expensive little shoes in frustration when she went to a repair shop to have said computer looked at. "Why don't you open up a book or two so you won't have to be quite so helpless?" I thought.

Click. Off went the TV.

Sorry for the novella-length comment, but ... bleah. Thanks; I'll pass.

11:10 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

i've not seen a single episode, could not be bothered... there are a lot of 'popular' tv shows i feel that way about

as for a quid or two, i'd not be holding my breath, the world is not like it was even five years ago....

11:16 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Good thing you had a haircut. Yes indeedy..

11:29 AM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

I've never watched SATC either. Never understood the hype and it wasn't my cup of tea really.

I always loved that Mannequin movie Kim did :)

12:42 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

Aww, look how handsome you are and love the retro hair! That style is coming back in vogue here in LA.

You did a whole lot for them so they should have at least sent a link. Very tacky.

I only watched SATC one time and found myself asking, "Okay, so when's one of these gals gonna get herpes?" Plus, I got annoyed by the lack of diversity. That's not what NYC really looks like.

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never saw it.

Only one haircut since then??

5:33 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Ooooh - get a load of that long hair!
Hope this all has a good ending. Neat to know how wide-spread your blog is read.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

I confess, I was a big fan of Sex & the City. Loved it. Maybe it was just right for my demographic. However, I've moved on now and find myself completely indifferent to the film.

10:19 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Never did watch S&TC.
What sodding cheek not to even send you a link, or remuneration.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Laura Jane Williams said...

I think SATC is all about the shoes, really. I know very few guys who like it. I am not sure boys like to know how girls really talk about sex either- it scares them!

5:09 AM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

You're a celebrity! Or at least, you know one.

9:15 AM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

Cool hair, dude.

Don't watch TV so not really in any position to comment ... judging by other readers comments ... I'm not missing much!

3:06 AM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

Forgot to say ... Send them an "official" invoice with a couple of veiled threats, maybe?

3:09 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Hope you hear back from them! I don't think I ever watched a complete episode, but Kim seems to shine, and I love to watch people shine. Great picture, by the way! Such fun!

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home