Monday, May 12, 2008

I did the reunion, I did -- I did

Three little maids from school are we!

I did it. I went to the reunion/anniversary thing. I won’t go so far as to say it was the best decision I ever made, but I will say it was a nice decision to have made. It was kind of a pleasure, in a weird and nostalgic way. But, it one respect it was a tiny bit depressing.

The depressing part revolved around, where did the time go? The passage of time becomes infinitely apparent when we redo something we did a long time earlier. It’s a quirk of our recall that enables us to revisit our former elementary school, for example, and find it as familiar as if we had only been there a week earlier. We are cast back to an earlier time.

This reunion cast me (and others) back to an earlier time and, despite the fact we were a little more wrinkled, bloodied, and maybe bowed, we were where we were. I even had middle-aged men and women calling me ‘Mr. Lidster’ during the evening because, at one time, those were our roles. I quickly corrected them and told them a simple ‘sir’ would do.

What was good for me was seeing students who I hadn’t run into for decades, some not since they graduated. A lot of them looked remarkably good and the intervening years or botox have been remarkably kind.

Considering I had last seen some of the girls when they were 17 or 18, they are now fine looking middle aged women. One I was chatting with was so unchanged and so unlined and so, yes, ‘hot’ looking that I am convinced she has either ‘done’ something, or has found the elixir of youth.

So, I ended up getting lots of girl hugs. I like girl hugs best, mainly because I am a heterosexual boy and lots of flattering comments about how much they cherished me as a teacher. Some of them even sounded like they meant it.

I saw a few old fellow teachers, too. Unfortunately, some of my favorite colleagues from those days have already shuffled off this mortal coil. Those that remain are pretty much the same and with their ponderous tones reminded me of how happy I was to have changed trades. I didn’t feel that way about all of them, as I suggested in the earlier blog, but former colleagues whom I cherished I have kept in touch with in any case.

The gathering was good also in the sense that one’s predispositions about some people can be found to be erroneous.

“I’m really glad you’re here,” said a rather distinguished looking middle aged man approaching me at one point during the evening. “You were the one teacher I hoped would turn up because you were always my favorite teacher.”

I looked at his nametag and the name jumped out at me. My God, I thought, you were one of my least favorite students when I started in the business. You were surly and attitudinal, had a punkish bearing and a sneer on your face, and I thought you were a complete asshole, despite the fact you got pretty good grades.

I thought those things, though I demurred from expressing them, thank God.

Anyway, we engaged in conversation in which he told me he had gone on with one of the major Canadian air carriers after graduation, and was later in management of a couple successor airlines. He was also with Holiday Inns for a time and was manager of one of two of that chain’s big hostelries in both Vancouver and Montreal.

The conversation was a good object lesson in not judging a kid by his or her manner, because you might end up pleasantly surprised. It was likely his slight edge that enabled him to do well in the business world.

All in all, the reunion experience was agreeable and I am glad I went. On the other hand, now that I’ve done it, I’m in no rush to do another ever-ever.

For the next one I must go back to my original condition for reunion attendance and that was driving up in a chauffeured Bentley and striding in with Gwynneth Paltrow under one arm and Scarlett Johansson under the other. Adolescent, I know, but it is my fantasy, after all. And since that will never happen, I needn’t concern myself.


Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

I know that it's obviously none of my business, but I'm glad you went, if only for their sakes. There were quite a few of us at our last reunion who were hoping that our favorite teachers would show up and they didn't. We would have loved to have seen them. Thanks for sharing the story, Ian, as always.

4:41 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

No matter how much fun I have had at a reunion, it was always followed by a huge feeling of fatigue. They really take a lot out of you. I'm glad you went.
Gwyneth Paltrow? Gross.

12:39 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

nice fantasy, glad it's your own...

good that the partay was worthwhile

6:33 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Good for you! Cant say i have ever been to one!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

It's nice to hear you were appreciated, isn't it? Even if it was from someone you couldn't stand back in the day!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Sounds like it was a meaningful experience.

10:16 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

Wow... I didn't think you were going to go. Glad it turned out to be a good experience for you. :)

10:20 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

Glad to hear the reunion was pleasant. Personally, the thought of wading into such a crowd makes me a wee bit queasy.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Yep, it'll never happen. That was your last reunion.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Laura Jane Williams said...

God, you couldn't get me back to a school reunion even if you paid me in chocolate.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

i have never been to a reunion yet. it sounds both bittersweet but also fun. what a wonderful compliment you got...i bet that felt good to hear.

6:07 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:26 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Damnit. Gwyneth and Scarlett asked me to write a comment for them but your blog doesn't accept anonymous comments.

Who would have thought those two would be anonymous?

The gist of it was "Just call, honey. We're waiting, hotly."

7:30 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

It just goes to show that sometimes things turn out better than you imagine.
Teenagers, they are something else. You his favourite teacher but no way could he ever let you know it.

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that story about the surly kid. Gives me hope - my oldest is going through a god-awful teen stage but I knbow there is still a goden heart in there.

7:29 AM  
Blogger VioletSky said...

Just shows you never really know how people will remember you. At least at a reunion they can tell you. Glad you enjoyed it.

At my high school we had a 75th anniversary while I was a student there and my grade 5 teacher showed up. He winced at the reception desk as I told him he'd been my favourite teacher 8 years earlier and said "Oh god, it's starting already". Very disappointing that was.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Glad you had a good time Ian. I imagine 6 months down the road you might still be reflecting on something about that reunion. There's always a reason why things happen the way they do :)

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home