Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Oh, Hell, let us have bread and circuses instead

Let me open by saying I am not a particularly religious person in a church-going sense. I have my own spiritual beliefs, and they are profoundly held and cherished and they serve me well, and I have never felt I needed the interpretations of a person in a stiff collar to guide me along.

At the same time, when I was a small kid I went to Sunday school. Not necessarily willingly, but it was a demand that we all go to SS. I didn’t like the idea, and did an awful lot of screwing around, and was regularly exiled (excommunicated) and sat staring at the coats and galoshes in the hallway. That was OK. It wasn’t ‘real’ school, so there wasn’t much they could do in the punishment realm.

Later, it was expected that I be confirmed as an Anglican (Episcopalian) and take communion. I went through all the rigors, including memorizing the Apostles Creed and all of that stuff. And, I took communion – “Hey, you get to drink wine! How cool is that?” – possibly twice, but never again. I had fulfilled the familial theological obligation.

Also, at that time, in school each morning (this continued from first grade right through to graduation) we recited the Lord’s Prayer and had our daily scripture reading. Often New Testament (screw the Jewish kids and other non-Christians), but never Song of Solomon.

And, that was the way it went in those days. In many respects I’m sorry that it doesn’t still go that way. I’ll explain why. What it gave me (and many others of my generation) was the basics of our Judeo-Christian culture. Not so much to do with God, but to do with who we were and where we came from. Although I didn’t pay much attention, I picked the stuff up. At a later date I could read and understand Shakespeare, and I knew the metaphorical reasons why Faulkner titled one of his tales Absalom-Absalom.

Today, we live in a more culturally diverse society in North America and Western Europe. Many people of non Judeo-Christian heritage populate our lands. Nothing wrong with that. I am not a biased person and I like the presence of other cultures and interacting with them. At a later date I pondered some of the tenets of Buddhism and love the meditations. Likewise, the basis of Taoism is “shit happens.” Can’t argue with the wisdom of that, either.

At the same time we’ve gone wrong along the way. As we listened to the PC fascists (school boards and administrations did especially) we decided that in the name of ‘inclusiveness’ our schools must become purely secular institutions and there must never-ever be references to that aforementioned JC connection. So, no Bible readings and no Lord’s Prayer. Consequently kids from non-churchgoing families would have no points of reference as to who they are and where they come from heritage-wise. It almost goes as far as to suggest they should be ashamed of their heritage.

Today, however, school administrators and teachers absolutely wet themselves in catering to the other ethnic groups. Sikh festivals and Islamic holy days and Chinese New Year are to be given full play, but don’t you be mentioning Christmas or Easter by name.

The sad point in this is that those other groups never ‘asked’ us to do this. They are happy to have Christians and Jews in their midst because they admire people of a spiritual bent, regardless of the origins of that spirituality.

But, to show you how terribly silly (and boneheaded) we have become. A few years ago in this area there was the opening of a new middle school. Lots of ceremonial stuff, including a spiritual smudging by elders of the local Native band. Nothing wrong with that. It’s colourful and fun. But, at that same time, can you imagine the uproar if a pastor or priest had come to bless the school? That would have been unacceptable.

We are currently engaged in military conflict with elements of the Islamic world. What we fail to recognize is that these people, even if they are misinterpreting their own scripture, are vehemently religious people who ‘know’ the tenets of their faith. We don’t. We don’t know theirs, because we don’t even know ours.

This is yet another reason why I cringe a little bit for our future, and weep a bit for our culturally-corrupted children who actually believe a Lindsay Lohan is of any consequence in the world of their future.

You know, I still remember a good chunk of the Apostle’s Creed.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Marianne said...

This is interesting, Ian. I think it is important to have this kind of sound education, including religious education, on which to be able to base rational decisions later in life, whether you have faith or not. It is as you say, embarrassing that we in the West are so ignorant and unprepared for the kind of religious confrontation going on in our times.

10:16 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

Very interesting! As someone who adopted another culture because it fed me, I learned that learning was the key - understanding other ways of life and then knowing I had the choice to find the one that's right for me. That should be addressed academically.

That is my way of saying that I largely believe specifically cultural celebrations and such should be done privately - not publicly. None should have dominance.

For someone like me, being saturated for two months out of the year with Christmas stuff is a little crazymaking. It is intrusive.

When I want to engage in celebrations and rituals of my particular faith and culture, I go to the wat. Otherwise, I am neutral around others in a public setting.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I used to go to Sunday school too and say prayers at my bedsdie. How many kids do that today? At least my sons have been baptised.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Oh how I remember it all. We also had to say the Lord's prayer, except we Catholics got the protestant version. You know the one that ends with "for yours is the power and the glory forever and ever" My parents were a little upset at that, though I frankly couldn't see the problem. I can still even remember some of the latin mass. Not bad for an atheist.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I remember in our schools about the time they did away with the Lord's Prayer they also outlawed the strap. And shortly after there came to be lots of trouble in those schools - what a message those kids were given.
There was now no authority of any kind and kids were quick to take advantage. If they were really bad they were put in a corner in the principals office and then sent home. Yep that sure worked - didn't take them long to figure that one out either. Things have certainly changed since I went to school.

5:47 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I could not agree with you more. Celebrate the other cultures festivals but not at the expense of the Judeo-Christian ones.

It makes one shake one's head. No moral grounding at all in the schools.

6:49 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

amen to that, ian... and i could give a rat's ass about being pc

4:34 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

Well, I'm all for freedom FROM religion. Considering most of the wars (if not all) have been fought over religiuos belief I'm all for abolishing it.
I've lately swung quite the opposite way regarding 'respect' for religions. I don't have much.
Certainly, some good basic thoughts about how to live ones life can found in religious tract, but you know, I think that most of us can figure it out on our own...after all, we aren't born inherently evil (despite what we're told), and even with all the religion currently in the world, people still hurt each other.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I'm with Tai on this one. As far as I'm concerned religion is pretty much the root of all evil.

I think humans have an ingrained morality that has nothing to do with religion. Fanaticism aside, whatever the religious culture of a society, they're all pretty much based on the idea of "do unto others"

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, have found a lot of peace and strength from taking what I feel is the best of different religious beliefs (i.e. "shit happens") and molding them into my spiritual beliefs. Thanks for this, Ian. Well said.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home