Wednesday, April 23, 2008

'Dirt Day' it was called

Yesterday, in case you hadn’t noticed, was so-called ‘Earth Day’. Actually, nothing new about Earth Day – which of course leads us to realize that, despite the armies of the ever-so-precious-and-young-and-concerned that are scolding us constantly these days, environmental concern wasn’t invented when Al Gore had his epiphany – it has been around since 1970.

At my newspaper back in the 1980s we always referred to it as ‘Dirt Day’, both to show how cynical and above faddism we were, and also in reference to the hippies in the local boonies who, even back then, were making a kind of religion of it. Ha – they’d come into town in their clapped-out, oil-burning VW vans and proceed to tell us how we were all doomed and the big threat from all the worldwide pollution ‘Korporate Amerika’ was creating (as opposed to fume-spewing vans) was going to lead us into a glacial winter. Yep, global cooling was the big threat then.

Anyway, I remember going to cover meetings organized by local eco-groups and listening to what they had to say. The predominant attendees at these meetings were those aforementioned, gum-booted hippies from Merville, Black Creek and the offshore islands, and some wonderful venerable ladies of a certain level of scholasticism, sensitivity, and very left-of-centre politics.

In my opinion, that was why proto-enviro-consciousness never really captured the mainstream. It was too politicized. If you support the environment you must be a pot-addled admirer of Che Guevara, so how on earth were Mr. and Mrs. Suburbia, with their three cars and water-ski boat with the biggest honkin’ outboard to be found, to embrace the cause. “Buncha hippie shit, nuthin’ to do with me.” Too bad, because we’ve latterly found out that it has a lot to do with us.

In my own defence, I’ll say that I think I’ve always been environmentally conscious, even before it was fashionable:

- I gave up driving cars with big V-8 engines in the late ‘70s. Fun as they were, they were too costly to fuel, and that was back in the days when gasoline was about 50-cents a gallon.
- I have never littered.
- I have never used chemical herbicides or pesticides.Well, not a lot, and now none at all.
- I began separating my garbage into trash and recyclables a long time ago.
- I detest the despoliation of the wilderness for the sake of fancy-ass golf courses – I mean, how many of those damn things do we need? – ski resorts, and great big parking lots at those resorts and golf courses.
- I walk when it is a reasonable distance.
- I don’t fish or hunt, but accept the fact that such animals as deer actually do need culling on occasion; I just don’t want to be a part of the cull.
- I grant bears and cougars the right to wander into ever expanding suburbia, and am disdainful of those who would poop their pants at the presence of such animals in ‘their’ neighborhood. Sorry, folks, we’re in the animals’ neighborhood, not the other way around.
- And so on.

I heard yesterday that a lot of ‘serious’ environmentalist (those who take no prisoners in their scolding of us) have become disdainful of Dirt Day because it has been co-opted by the spurious and has become a groovy, trendy thing with little substance.

I suspect they’re right. Once Vanity Fair started running its pukey ‘green’ issues – ‘What Madonna is doing for the environment’ – then I knew something had gotten lost in the process of raising consciousness. The environment as marketing ploy! What an idea!

That ties in with doing carbon trade-offs (Al’s big on those), and whatever other easy-peasy compromises we can make. Isn’t that sort of like making bargains with God or shaking hands with the devil? Just asking.

Anyway, Earth Day 2008 has come and gone and Hummer owners can relax for another year.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

We'll all get our comeuppance, I suppose.
Us 'little' people do the best we can, but the 'big' corporations seem to be exempt. That's what really drives me nuts.
We recycle and don't use plastic bags and try to be responsible, but the giganticorps still push out tremendous amount of pollution etc etc and don't ever seem to turn it off.
Frustrated. That's me.

11:56 AM  
Blogger dinahmow said...

Yes, it's another of life's sad facts that when high-profile people jump on a bandwagon that wagon becomes a juggernaut.
I was struggling with The Man's recent purchase, but our friend in Delta has now lead me to think of it as "recycling and re-using"!
I grew up in a time when financial hardship made "green" economies a way of life;I still life pretty simply.

3:00 PM  
Blogger VintagePurseGal said...

I personally save the earth by not stepping outside my house unless absolutely necessary. Yay, hermithood!

6:30 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Al Gore is the last person who should be talking about environmental issues. Check out his house and cars etc. George Bush on the other hand, unbelievable as it may seem, recycles trash, water and and all kinds of things on his ranch. He also bought out the land around him and turned it into a bird and wildlife conservation area. Go figure.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

I saw that Madonna cover and thought it was SO wack! It really is the commercialization of Earth Day/Dirt Day.

And 50 cents a gallon? Wowzer. If only!

BTW, I have something for you on my blog. Come over and see.

2:24 AM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

I don't have a problem with commercialization of Earth Day. That's the best way to wrest control of it away from the gum-booted hippies.

I was blessed to be raised by non-gum booted hippy parents who nonetheless had a deep love of nature. Non-littering (despite my certain odd idiosyncracy [see my blog]), recycling, etc., came naturally.

Humans evolved in nature and we need to be in it often, in order to be healthy, both physically and emotionally.

And a fancy-assed golf course, as you said, is NOT nature.

3:16 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

good points, ian...

what with the pine beetles killing off so many trees in the west, it's been found those dead trees now contribute MORE 'bad' carbon in a year than the total of all canadian oil burning vehicles do, FIVE TIMES OVER....

5:54 AM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

The sky IS falling...

9:18 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I was waiting for you to tear into Earth Day... and you were mild about it!

As for carbon offsets, I read recently that some band (Coldplay maybe?) had purchased and had planted 10,000 trees to offset their tour.

One year later all the trees were dead.

People might releive their conscience by buying carbon offsets, but I'd be curious to know how much good they actually do.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, Walmart is running ads showing things that they sell that are enviromentally friendly (ex: compact flourecent light bulbs). The ads end with the spokespersonn saying that is all XXXzillion Walmart customers bought one, we would save a gazillion watts of electricity and that will save the environment. As if Walmart is not helping to create envionmental issues.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, you're nothing but a tree hugger in curmudgeon's clothing! Gripe all you like, I'm glad to have you really on our side.

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home