Monday, April 14, 2008

Be frugal with smiles and people will love you

“Parents – tell your daughters their sexual favors should be like smiles – they are most enticing and best appreciated when given sparingly.”

I don’t know why I put that in quotes, since I made it up. But, I think it is quotable and should gain widespread cachet.

I’ve been told I have a “great” smile. I’ve been told I have a good smile because I don’t go around using it loosely. Much of the time I’m kind of deadpan, I guess. It doesn’t mean I’m ill-tempered or unfriendly, it’s just that I think a smile indicates pleasure of some sort, or friendliness, or amusement and should be kept for those occasions. I’m wary of people who go around with stupid grins on their faces when there is no cause. I don’t mean a body should look grim, just non-committal.

I had an uncle who was a very quiet and taciturn man. He rarely gave of a smile. There was nothing nasty about him; in fact I genuinely liked and appreciated him. He just didn’t smile much. But, when he did. Well, it just lit up the room. The transformation was amazing. You knew that whatever amused or entertained him must have been good.

I have a neighbor like that. She’s relatively pretty but not someone “to write home about,” as my mother would have said. She is also quiet, a bit shy, like my uncle, and almost dour of expression. Except when she smiles. Sometimes it's a bashful, look at the ground smile, and at other times it's a dazzling brilliantly white tooth smile – she could be an advertisement for dental strips – that utterly enchants me. When she smiles I would definitely write home about her, or run away with her, other than we’re both really happily married. But, if I am talking to her and she smiles it’s just a very special treat, and it makes me feel good if I evoke smiles from her.

The late Princess Diana had just such a smile, and that was just one of the reasons why so many people worldwide and female as well as male were in love with her. She didn't go around with a goofy grin all the time, but when she smiled, especially that mysterious smile in which she seemed to be indulging in an inner joke, just worked miracles.

Smiles, of course, bring us to laughter. I don’t laugh a lot. And laughter, like smiles, I think should be granted sparingly so that the outpouring of mirth has genuine meaning. My best friends in this life have been people who could make me laugh so uproariously that I would ‘lose it.’ You know, the souls who can make the tears run down your cheeks in spite of yourself. The people who get you on a roll sufficient to wonder if you should start wearing Depends.

Very few guys and girls like that, but I have been blessed with some. My brother and I can do that; so could my former sister-in-law. And, as I say, my very best friends; one of whom lives across the country in Toronto, the other of whom lives in Australia, and the third who happens to be deceased, but whose comments in times past can still bring a smile. That’s his legacy, I guess.

But, I have another one like that, and that was what led me to truly realize I loved her madly, and that is Wendy. Early on I realized that I had finally found a spouse I could really laugh with.

It’s a blessing.

Labels:

21 Comments:

Blogger Marianne said...

This is really nice - and I totally agree, smiles are overused and undervalued. Luckily my default expression has builders the world over shouting, "Don't worry love, it might never happen!"
All the best, M

9:20 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

Sometimes I think I smile too much, but then again, I don't smile without cause -- I suppose I shouldn't complain about having lots of reasons to smile.

Backtrack to your Snowbirds post: When they ZOOOOOOMED over work for the first time this April, everyone stopped instantly, looked up, and became giddy with delight at the return of spring. Who knew, the roar of planes could make a bunch of quiet librarians so happy?

10:24 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

I have never cared for the appearance of my own smile... and I do give them sparingly, too. There has to be a genuine reason for smiling.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I don't think a smile can ever be over-used, as long as it is genuine. I think people who smile look so much more attractive.
I can imagine that you have a wonderful smile Ian.

1:46 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I am like Marianne. My default looks is serious to the point of worry.
I do try to smile if I think it will put someone at ease.
My brother have the same sense of humour, & can almost become hysterical at times.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

I remember waiting for the subway once and a guy approached me and told me something like, "Why are you looking so serious? You should smile more." It irritated me to no end! It's like, what? Am I supposed to sit there with a ridiculous, goofy grin on my face all the time?

That said, I do smile a whole lot! With my two sons always making me laugh, how could I not?

4:46 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

smiling people are like sunshine to me, and i love sunshine! i agree with Ellee; i don't a think a smile can be over-used. i'm not one to go around with a smile on my face, but i must admit i find humor in a lot of things, even if no one else does. i have my own humor style, which includes sometimes a wry humor, but as long as i think it's funny, i think that's what's most important. i've learned to laugh alone.

6:00 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I love to be with people who share my often bizarre sense of humor, but I am perfectly capable of cracking myself up without any assistance.

Smiling shows friendliness, pleasure, excitement, warmth, so many things that I cannot imagine rationing them out, or making anyone earn them.

Why would I do that? I always have more.

8:50 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

You have a smiling photo for your avatar so I can't believe you don't smile a lot.
I think I smile a lot, but I hope it is genuine. I know people comment on it occasionally.
I agree with Ellee, if it comes from the heart how can it be overused. It's just part of the person.

9:13 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

This is very interesting. I actually call my "public face" my "Mona Lisa smile." I like to look slightly bemused, because I usually really am slightly bemused. Honestly though, when I see people that don't smile, I imagine they have bad teeth.

12:00 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

yup, nothing so precious as intimate smiles/laughter...

i'm with you on your observations, neither should be overused

5:19 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

:)

You're right, it's really lovely to see someone light up like that.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I think that quote is brilliant.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

I grin like a bloomin' idiot, on purpose, to make people smile back. They do.
It's my game, and I love it!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

I love this post and think smiles should be valued more, but I am firmly of the opinion that people should smile more. I think people who smile and laugh easily bring a sort of low level good feeling to the people they come into contact with, just as being scowled at can bring your mood down just a little. On the other hand I think it's important that the smile be genuine; I beleive it's a good thing there are some people who smile easily and mean it.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Laura Jane Williams said...

No, no, no! Bring on the permanent grins!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I tend to agree with you Ian. Some people laugh at everything and while I agree life is amusing at times, I don't feel that necessitates an all out laugh or even a smile. What some take to be funny actually requires serious thinking. That doesn't mean one isn't cheerful but if you have to smile to prove cheerfulness somehow that seems a bit fake.

4:53 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:37 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Guess I'm a big loser and a big hate target as I have one of those very expressive faces that reveals everything I'm thinking. I couldn't be coy to save my life. But as the skin slackens the benefits of smiling increase so I don't plan to stop.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

This post made me smile.

1:36 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Interesting post. I tend to disagree with you though. I'm not for people wandering around with goofy grins all the time, but I also think we could do with a lot more smiles in our society. I'm sick of people always looking like life is a burden to be born and nothing more.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home