Monday, April 07, 2008

Does George actually think he's good?


There are two types of people in the world – aside from those who divide the world into two types of people, and those who don’t – and that is those who feel that they are frauds, and those who don’t.

Oddly enough, those who don’t feel like frauds often are individuals of scanty skill at what they are doing, and those who do feel like they are pulling the wool over the collective eyes of the planet are sometimes genuinely good at their task.

For me, I would like to blame my parents and the public school system for giving me such insecurity that I am regularly left with such feelings as:
1) I hope nobody finds out that I don’t know what I’m doing.
2) They have given me this task; I don’t think I’m good enough to complete it. By the way, unless there is some unforeseen impediment, I have always completed tasks set forth for me.
3) You want me to do what? I’m not skilled enough to do that.
4) They bought my article. Don’t they realize how bad it is?
5) They gave me this award. They must have very low standards.

The point really is, I ‘do’ think I’m good at what I do. And, once I’ve done something with which I am pleased and I read it through, I’ll surmise that I do have fairly significant skills.

Having done what I do for three decades and having always been able to make a living at it indicates I am a decent writer. Sometimes I even think I am a good writer.

But, if somebody doesn’t buy what I have sent them, then instantly any professional self-confidence goes down the toilet. Then I am a hack and, worse than that, a fraud. They’ve finally caught up with me, the bastards, and my career is now over. Word will spread and on the lips of publishers everywhere will be the words: “Buy nothing from that bozo. He actually had the audacity to think our standards were so low we’d buy his crap.

Do other people feel that way? Do you feel that way about what you do? Does the Queen wake up of a morning and think: “Good job I was born to this gig because I think I’m dreadful at it.”

But, more importantly, why don’t the genuine hacks and frauds realize how lacklustre they are? Why doesn’t Adam Sandler realize how excruciatingly unfunny he is and therefore should get a job as a postman? Why has it not dawned on Celine Dion that she should be slinging hash at a low-end beanery rather than passing screeching and wailing off as singing? Why is Howie Mandel being foisted on anybody? I thought he’d died after St. Elsewhere ended, yet there he is on some repulsive, greed-inspired quiz show. It’s not right.

But, I think it is because Adam, Howie and Celine know who their constituents are. They know they will not win over people with genuine taste and wit, so they appeal to those who don’t have those traits and they make millions. Smart of them really. I guess if I’d mastered that concept early on I’d be a millionaire, too.

But, at the end of it, I think those aforementioned people, and many like them, genuinely believe they’re good at what they do. Much as George W. genuinely believes he is a good president, and Dick Cheney believes he is an actual human being.

Meanwhile, I hope you like this blog. I’m not sure how good it is.


Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

Been there done that ~ and think I'm no good unless people buy my cheap art. (But if they do, I wonder who I've fooled.)

3:32 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Oh Ian you're so funny - of course you're good! As you said the very fact you've made a living off writing indicates you are good at it. It is human nature to question the validity and value of one's own work. The difference between you and others is you have a conscience which sometimes gets in the way.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

I agree with Janice. Everyone feels this way. Some poeple are just really good at seeming like they're firmly in control. If George doesn't feel the pressure of his position sometimes and wonder if what he's doing is the right thing, he's not human. Hey... you don't think...

9:31 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

You know darn well it's an excellent blog.
Everyone has these doubts, and often they are well deserved but in my book you deserve to be a millionaire too.

10:05 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

You know darn well it's an excellent blog.
Everyone has these doubts, and often they are well deserved but in my book you deserve to be a millionaire too.

10:05 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Oops, sorry. These type A personalities!

10:06 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

From what I've read and discussed with people, everyone has that sense of being a fraud. It's just like everyone has that dream of being in their school hallway and can't find their locker or realize they didn't study for the test, or can't even find the classroom. My life is so simple I don't get the fraud feeling anymore, and it's not because I am naive, it's just that I'm not really in any situations where a lot is expected of me. When I cook and it turns out badly, I will apologize to my husband. When the food is good, then Yay for both of us. Anyway, I think you are a very interesting writer and I like how you have that joie de vivre about life. I hope we get to meet in June. And Josie told me to tell you, "Hello."

10:40 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Families can certainly mess one up, but of course you're as good as your best awards.

We're still here, aren't we?

Chin up, dahling. Only the soulless clods like George Bush are convinced (erroneously) of their own competence.

12:55 AM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

I'm similar to you, always feeling my best could be better, even when I'm told "you're amazing" or "i'm in awe". Those statements always freak me out. Immediately I feel like "jeez, I am a freak. I have to stop this" See, I never win with myself. lol

My sister, however, once said, of her ability to get everything she asked for from anyone...."if they're stupid enough to give it to me, i'm going to keep asking". She's an asshole and we don't speak. But she does very well. No conscience, hides behind religion, selfish and controlling.

I'd rather be me. Insecure, worrying, and always striving to meet others halfway. Life has more angst my way but it's better than being like Shrub or Cheney.

4:52 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

hot buttered damn! i go thru the same conflicts, even now...

i agree about the so-called 'celebs' you mention [and hundreds more]... well said, ian!

5:49 AM  
Blogger dee said...

You are so right. There is so much that is beyond my scope of understanding. I'm so happy to hear that I'm not alone in my aversion to the current celebutard craze. The one good thing that comes of having these whitless drones thrust into the spotlight by moronic network execs is that it forces one to turn off the tube to read, and sometimes re-read, excellent books. Your blog is a spot of sunshine in the day.

6:02 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

I do like your blog, because it has the unnerving quality of setting into words how I'm feeling... how did I find myself in this job? Haven't they figured out yet how clumsy/unorganized/idiotic I am? Sometimes, I suspect the only thing I'm good at, is fixing my horrific mistakes before anyone notices.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

OOOOh, those feeling DO creep, don't they.

I need to figure out how to capitalize on my un-talents. I could use the cash!

(You're blog is great, in fact, it's one of my top 5 that I check every day. Hope that helps stem the inadequacy tide a little!)

8:36 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

"Dick Cheney believes he is an actual human being". Haha. I also feel Bush believes he is intelligent??
Your blog is great. Please don't stop writing!
Age has a benefit, in that I don't worry so much about my faults. If I make a quilt with flaws, I can also see the good parts, & remind myself I am human, & humans make mistakes.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

I do like your blog, very glad to have just come across it. I think this is very true, "most" people question themselves and their talents, but what's weird is the people that don't! What are they thinking? I think this kind of self-belief is instilled in some people by their parents... and it works!

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I fist started doing therapy I had the feeling nearly constantly that at any minute a paitent would stand up and denounce me as the fraud I was. I don't worry about it any more - I just do the best I can.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home