Thursday, March 27, 2008

Do you take this (ahem) lady?

I’ve decided how, in the years to come, I am going to keep myself in the style to which I have become accustomed. I am going to marry Heather Mills.

I mean, think about it. She just got that cool and undeserved $50 million in her settlement with Macca. She is available. She just might want to share bed and board with a decent guy with no fortune.

The fact that she is an evil and sinister human being has nothing to do with it. She has $50 million. Then, I can stick with her for a while and when the denouement of the relationship comes about, I’ll be able to grab half her assets. After all, she did set the precedent in matters of flagrant money-grubbing, so she could hardly claim it would be unfair.

Of course, there is the fact that I am currently married. But, Wendy would understand, what with the $50 million and all. We could dissolve our marriage temporarily, with the objective being that we would reunite once sweetie-poo Heather and I were divorced and I had my hands on ‘my’ $25 million. Greed is greed, honey-lamb, and ‘you’ know what that’s all about.

I came up with that idea after reading a story about the Macca-Mucca divorce settlement and the comments of the judge in which he – albeit in dignified and judicial terminology – in essence called her a cheap, lying li’l money-grubbing scag – but in my nicer terms, y’understand.

Anyway, that also led me to thinking about Paul, and the whole Beatles thing. Who would have thought it would all come to this.

Paul, once known as the “cute Beatle” was never my favorite. Always found his songs a little too 'sweet.' Silly love songs, if you will. I was a John Lennon man. Wendy was a George Harrison groupie (not literally). Nobody was ever much a Ringo follower. Oh, everybody liked Ringo. He was sort of like the jester. Funny and amiable always was he. Not a creative force per se, but always there, suited-up and ready to perform. He was an excellent counterpoint to the mammoth egos of the rest. Ironically, he remains to this day not only a survivor (what with two of them gone), but effectively the least neurotic of the lot. Ringo knows who he is, and it has always worked for him.

I am old enough to remember the first time I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan way back in the dark ages of early 1964. I have to confess I was riveted to the black-and-white images of these four Brits who looked unlike anything that was familiar the North America of the time.

What I recall most of all was that they were not only musicians offering catchy tunes, but they were ‘entertainers’ as well, and that was something that set them apart. That and the attire – stovepipe trousers, narrow-lapeled jackets and skinny ties, pointy-toed ‘winklepicker’ Beatle boots, and, of course, those haircuts – a tonsorial offering that had theretofore only been sported by Moe Howard of the Three Stooges.

It was great. It affected one. I am not even sure why it affected one, but I felt a certain exultation in their presence. So did millions of other kids around the world. A new era had begun. That may sound like hyperbole, but it was truly a new era, much as Elvis had ushered in a decade earlier.

This was long ago. Long before flower-child pretentiousness, the Maharishi, the breakup of the group, Yoko, “more popular than Jesus,” Wings, Plastic One Band, wacky-assassin’s bullet, the sad demise of Linda McCartney, the sadder demise of George, and the hideous Heather.

No, maybe I won’t marry Heather after all. I’d rather have good memories. Sorry hon’. So, stop calling, OK?

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger laughingwolf said...

just the IDEA of wedding THAT would make me upchuck my supper!

agreed on the other sentiments, too

[lennon and i are both librans, but that's our only 'connection'... ok, we're both bespectacled]

1:21 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Wow. How come I didn't get that much from my "wusband"? And I stuck it out more than 4 years.

My favorite line of hers when she heard what the child support was: " I guess my 4 year old will have to travel "B" class instead of first class". But then she added that she could afford to upgrade her ticket. Say What?

I did find it amusing that the judge did add in the $15.9 million she took from the joint accounts. So I guess she wasn't as destitute as she claimed she was.

Divorce is never easy.

Good topic Ian.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Casdok said...

So glad you changed your mind!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Yeah, I'd steer clear. I'm pretty sure she's where the phrase "vagina dentata" originated.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

I can't remember what comment I was going to make because now I'm laughing so hard over "vagina dentata"! Bwah hah hah ha!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

'Vagina dentata' Good for you, Tanya. Wish I'd thought of it; it's perfect. I'm laughing like Liz.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

I think scag says it all. The one I feel bad for is the child. Ughhh growing up with a mother like that... what a way to start your life.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

LOL so glad you carefully thought this out - she's not your type - $25 million or not. I remember seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan too and being absurdly entranced by this new phenomenon. I only like the odd song or two of theirs.

7:32 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I guess this is another of those things where you're either this or that like vanilla and chocolate. I'm a Paul person myself. Lennon was just too hippie dippy for me and I was born at the wrong time to appreciate anything hippie. I don't think she'd fall for you anyway. She's attracted to internationally famous, excessively wealthy men. And did I mention money? Oh yeah, I did. And the answer is: Vanilla

12:54 AM  
Blogger Vic said...

My goal (as yet unachieved) is to be adopted by some superrich very old couple. After all, I am already housetrained and educated, would make little demand on their time, and would be most grateful for even small crumbs that fall from their overflowing table and a tiny mention (just a few millions?)in their wills.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

That woman is a walking nightmare. I couldn't believe it when he got involved with her. I knew it was too soon, he was rebounding during grief. And now, sadly, he's paying for it big time. I shudder to think what her daughter will end being like.

10:50 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

....those haircuts – a tonsorial offering that had theretofore only been sported by Moe Howard of the Three Stooges. ha ha ha ha!
this was a good post Ian. i don't like heather mills either, and if i were a man, even $25 million wouldn't make her appealing in no shape or form!

Paul was my favorite beatle though! LOL!

10:58 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

I found Heather to be so offensive, I was glad the judge made it public what he thought about her. I had noted when she spoke it was always about what SHE wanted & needed. She would then sometimes tack the 'kid' on as an afterthought. GGGRRRRR.

I was always a Gearge fan.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

People like Heather give the rest of us a bad name. Hard to believe that she asked for what she did, especially knowing that we would all know. Honestly. Do some people completely lack class and consciences? (Don't answer that, I already know the answer, unfortunately.)

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home