Wednesday, March 19, 2008

So long, Arthur C. and have a good journey

I noticed an item this morning calling attention to the fact Arthur C. Clarke had died. Well, he was 90-years-old, so the news wasn’t exactly shocking. So unshocking in fact that I had no idea he was still alive.

I’ve never been much of a sci-fi buff. I read a bit of the genre when I was in my teens and I have had a few favorite writers in the broader aspects of the field, including Clarke himself, Ray Bradbury (great storyteller and moralist), H.G. Wells, John Wyndham and some more no doubt, whose names have thoroughly slipped my mind.

I’ve seen a few of the movies, like Star Wars and a few of the Star Trek series of films and I must confess the effects and technologies were impressive, but it’s not a cinematic genre I hanker after. I did like Starman, but that was more due to the elements of humor rather than the kind of preposterous story. And, as an incurable romantic, I liked the love story contained therein.

Otherwise, I have no idea why science fiction never really captured my imagination fully, but that’s just the way I am. I like to think it’s because I have a very low geek factor in my makeup, but that’s sort of egocentric on my part.

My exception to me rule in this regard would be the spoofs of the genre. I loved the Hitchhiker’s Guide series, but then I worship at the grave of Douglas Adams. And, I found Red Dwarf to be hilarious. I even liked that film (the name of which escapes me) with Tim Allen and an especially bodacious Sigourney Weaver in which one of the aliens actually talked like the little Martian guy in the cartoons.

But, back to old Arthur C. I once tried to read 2001-A Space Odyssey and found it to be not riveting. The film, on the other hand, I think was a masterpiece. Pretentious and overblown as hell, and obsessed with its allegorical drive it might have been, I still found it to be up there in my list of great cinematic experiences.

Right from the monolith and the monkeys (and I will forgive it for rendering Also Sprach Zarathustra a TV commercial musical cliché) through the bizarre creatures at the space bar, to the disabling of HAL (“Don’t do that, Dave!”) and our hero’s birth and death and the whole damn thing weird metaphor at the end, I was enchanted. I really have no idea what it was all about, but anything that could render Kier Dullea a fascinating performer accomplished something of significant worth.

It was a long time ago that I initially saw it as a film, and the real 2001 was still a long way off in the future, so the title had relevance. I also saw it at a drive-in and a walk to the snack-bar meant picking up a contact high from the cannabis fumes in the car-park. “Oh, you should see it stoned, man. That’s the way yer supposed to see it, man.” Maybe so, but I found even straight it worked wonders on my psyche, and it still sticks in my brain as a film that absolutely took me out of my own mind and into the broader – and as yet unanswered – mysteries of the universe and our place within it.

So, here’s to you, Arthur C., and may your personal odyssey to your next realm be as enchanting as the one you created in the temporal realm.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

I remember gobbling up all of his books at one point in my life. Jerry Pournelle, Larry Nivens... Arthur C Clarke. I'm going to miss having his articulate voice around.

1:54 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I have never been one for the Sci Fi either. Tried Ray Bradbury, saw the usual movies. Can live without it all. A great many will no doubt mourn the passing of Arthur C Clarke, - like you, I had no idea he was still alive!

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hated the movie 2001, and never attempted to read the book. But I did go through a sci-fi phase in Jr. High & High School - Asimov, Bradbury, Heinlein.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Ray Bradbury I liked but never cared to see any of the others. Sci-fi was not my thing either.

7:32 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

The Sigourney Weaver Movie was Galaxy Quest and it is hilarious, more of a comedy. There are no weird aliens in the bar in 2001, that was Star Wars. And yes I AM a sci-fi geek. What you may not know was that Clarke wrote a lot of scientific non-fiction. He wrote an essay called Extra-Terrestrial Relays in 1945 proposing a network of communication satellites 22,300 miles above the equator (he had been a radar instructor for the RAF in WWII). In 1963 the first geosynchronous satellite launched making his vision a reality.

The latter info is from Cesar C. Soriano's article in USA Today, some of it word for word. Hey, I gave him credit!

12:14 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

rip, acr...

i put him up there with heinlein and asimov....

5:29 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

I guess I have a "low geek factor", too...but I make up for it so many other ways!

Sci Fi never did it for me either, but I do recognize his huge impact on the genre, that's for sure.
It may also be said that many a sci fi book has inspired the real accomplishments made into viewing the exterior world, as well.
Children that love that kind of thing can't help but be a little inspired to gaze out into the black and wonder...possibly to become explorers and discoverers (is that even a word?) Well, I trust you know what I mean!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

Galaxyt Quest is the spoof and it's wonderful, I love Alan Rickman in that, but then I love Alan Rickman in everything! I am geek, love sci fi, but oddly have read few of the classics. I have seen Clarke's influence come through so many times tho.

10:49 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

I watched 2001 as a nine-year-old and was utterly enraptured with it. (Yes, my geek factor is high, and has been all my life.) I also poured over the book 'Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World', memorizing passages, especially about the Tunguska Incident and the crystal skulls of Belize.

He greatly influenced my love of the strange, the odd, and the bizarre, and I'm sad to see him go.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Casdok said...

I love Sci fi!!!
I didnt realise he was still alive either!

5:11 AM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_C._Clarke

No small loss.

Arthur Clarke was phenomenal.
So much of 'science fact' was once a glimmer of a thought in the mind of a 'science fiction' thinker.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home