Saturday, March 08, 2008

It's a mineshaft modern design era

Architects may come and
Architects may go and
Never change your point of view.
When I run dryI stop awhile and think of you
So long, frank lloyd wright
All of the nights wed harmonize till dawn.
I never laughed so long
So long
So long.

-Simon and Garfunkel

Back when I was an unformed ball of clay I decided that I wanted to be an architect when I grew up. At times even today I think I might have been rather good at it. I can draw quite well, and when I was a kid I worked out some fairly impressive designs for houses, cars, airplanes and boats.

Then, somebody told me a lot of architecture was about math. Mathematics and I did not get alone well, so I scrapped the idea. Kind of stupid because later in my student career I actually got reasonably decent at math. But, that’s another story.

I like the basic precepts of good architecture – you know, function before form, and all of that John Ruskin stuff that flew in the face of the ghastly ersatz Gothic stuff of Victorian times. But, I’m not anal enough to think that sometimes form works on my sense of esthetics in a positive way – sort of like the science-fiction elements of the Gaudi cathedral in Barcelona.

Frank Lloyd Wright, however, enchanted me more than so many others. So modern and so powerful and so simple were the Wright statements. I’ve only seen one Wright structure in my life, and that is the cultural centre (or whatever it is) on a hillside in Marin County, north of San Francisco. It captured my soul the instant I saw it.

My interest in Frank, as an aside, became even more pronounced when I learned that he was grandfather, and mentor to a degree, to Anne (All About Eve) Baxter, the yummiest ‘older woman actress to ever tread the boards in my esteem. But, as I said, an aside.

When I am in Victoria I spend my time at our apartment in the James Bay area. Nice spot to be, and replete with some of the finest representative examples of Victorian and Edwardian gingerbread that can be found in these parts. Truly, some fascinating houses that I would not want to pay to heat. But, they have all the geegaws and accoutrements of an earlier era, including elements like widows’ walks, which give a certain Addams Family ambiance.

Pleasingly, some of the newer houses going up in the neighbourhood are faux Victorians, and that keeps the area to its theme. Good stuff. Sort of like the restrictions in Chester, England, which demand that if you erect a new structure within the town walls, that is acceptable, provided it blends perfectly with all the black-and-white half-timbered authentic Tudors that already exist there. We don’t do that sort of thing much in our hideous plastic and aluminum siding dwellings that spring up in our ordinary neighborhoods.

What I find distressing is the paucity of imagination in contemporary architecture. There is a phenomenon around here in both public and commercial buildings that a designer friend of mine a few years ago referred to, disdainfully, as “mine-shaft modern.” That is, lots of heavy timber work and none of the ‘guts’ of the structure, like pipes, or ducts, or flues encased in a cosmetic covering but all of its functionality exposed.

The first one of note to use the MSM esthetic was the local college, North Island College, which actually won a national architectural award. Consequently, since it seemed to be such a design winner, everybody bought the same cookie-cutter and virtually all buildings erected in this community, and others in coastal BC have opted for the MSM. No originality afoot. When the foundations are laid, you know what the damn thing is going to look like. It will be wood-frame, lots of cedar, exposed timbers and an alpine sort of roofline.

In point of fact, in terms of my sensibilities, it’s dead ugly. It was ugly to begin with, and the bastardized later versions show no inspiration whatsoever.

Maybe it’s good that I didn’t become an architect. I think I would have found it frustrating.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I like much of Wright's work too.
I would LOVE to be the real owner of "Fallingwater"!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Belizegial said...

I imagine you would have been quite good at it too Ian! Congrats on finishing your February project.

It's a chilly evening here in the tropics and we're facing a 3-day weekend here. So far, so good.

Cheers,
Enid

4:17 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I strongly dislike all the modern fake fronted houses that are currently being built on new Estates around us. They seem such a wast of material, & are far too huge to be practical.
I much prefer the houses in New Zealand, & there seems a lot more innovation.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I went to a spectacular house in North Norfolk last night for a jazz concert. The lounge converts into a theatre and can seat 70 people. This includes tiered seating which can be raised up and then lowered below floor level so the room can be used as normal living accommodation again. The house is owned by an architect who designed it himself, it is truly awesome.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Today By Design said...

My Mother was Anne Baxter, and hence my great grandfather was FLW. I got a real smile about your comment about Mom being an "older" actress. In fact she was in her prime under 35 and gave it up to marry my Dad and run off the wilds of the outback of Australia ... MG

8:29 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

I have architecture in my blood (my great grandpappy designed those typical western Canadian train stations of the early 20th C) and find my interest increases as the years go by. I, too, thought about becoming one, but at the time it was one year to become a teacher and to become an architect it meant upgrading my math and then 2 years and I couldn't face the additional debt. Have kicked myself ever since. Lately I have found myself drawn to a style I used to hate: the mid-century Art Moderne. Not the palatial ones but the little stucco boxes. If I could find some I liked I'd be painting their portraits in a heartbeat.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Honored to make your acquaintance, Melissa. I meant, of course, that your mother was 'older' when I was much younger than I am now. I remember her recounting her tale of being in the Outback when she was on Johnny Carson one night.
And FLW being your great grandfather. A fine pedigree to be certain.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

I think it's a good thing that in many places there is more of a requirement to either be really increadible or in keeping. There are some amazing new buidings going up in Leicester included the "Curve" performing arts centre, although the name is tragic and whoever was paid a fortune to think of it should be publically whipped.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw some of the Frank Lloyd Wright places in Chicago - love his work.

12:14 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

'she got the goldmine, i got the shaft!'...first thing that sprang to mind ;) lol

i'm with you j... except i heard it's a bitch to maintain

like you, ian, i'm appalled at what is called 'architecture', for the most part

and yes, anne was a superb actress

12:38 PM  
Blogger dinahmow said...

Modern housing estates: think "Little boxes made of tickey-tacky..."
My former neighbour, an architect, set me straight on the boring concrete boxes that are current municipal architecture: cost. Apparently, every time an architect draws a curve or adds a gargoyle, the $$ go through the stratosphere.
All the same, must it all be so bloody bland?

4:20 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

I'm in agreement with you Ian. We visited Chester and everything old and new blends together. London on the other hand is a mish-mash. A beautiful little Wren church overshadowed by a big ugly seventies, glass and concrete monstrosity. What a waste.

7:05 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

Aluminum siding.... *shudder*

10:20 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

My nephew is in college studying to be an architect and I think he'll be good at it.

If you want to see ugly stuff, come to the Texas suburbs and look at the trillions of McMansions sitting 6 feet away from each other. It's atrocious!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

That college always did remind me of a ski lodge. But it's better than the sky blue aluminum sided Catholic cathedral down the hill.
FLW invented reinforced concrete, right? Changed our world more than with esthetic or function. He made new things possible with a genius new building tool. Very cool.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

I am a believer in form following function.
So many house makers don't even begin to "think" about how the houses are to be used. They are built as they have "always been built".
Innovative architecture will hopefully capture the attention of the next generation of people looking for useful fulfilling lives.
http://www.pvresources.com/en/rooftile.php

8:21 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

I have to agree with GOML! It IS better than the aluminum church. But that's not saying much, 'cus anything is!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Or maybe you would've been the new Wright!

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home