Sunday, February 24, 2008

What a silly bunt

That Jane Fonda, what’re you gonna do with her?

Here some of us were just recently able to get past the Hanoi-Jane thing, and suddenly there she is, on the Today Show, no less, uttering the ‘C-word’. Except, she didn’t use the C-word euphemism, but stated the exact profane four-letter reference to the female pudendum. Tsk.

Needless to say, poor Meredith Vieira -- after she’d ducked out to change her underpants following Jane’s expletive offering – was a trifle nonplused by the utterance.

I didn’t actually watch the Today episode. That was mainly because I don’t actually watch Today, period. I gave up on the program after they unceremoniously turfed adorable Jane Pauley (which gives you some idea of my vintage) and replaced her with that absolutely awful and excruciatingly irritating, Katie Couric.

Anyway, that’s by-the-by. I did glance at a YouTube account of the incident, and I must confess I was profoundly unshocked by it all. The reference was a sort of flippant comment by Jane, referring to the ubiquitous Vagina Monologues, and something about whether she wanted to take a part in some stage offering or other of the VM. Jane then referred to it as the “C---- Show.”

Oopsie-Daisy.

Anyway, Meredith apologized to the viewership, assuming that none had ever heard the word, and spoke for Jane, saying how mortified she was about it all. And then Jane herself also said she was quite mortified about it all, and so on. And then everybody had tea and hopefully forgot about an incident that didn’t quite have the impact of Janet Jackson’s boob ‘accident’ of a few years back.

But, it is a charged word, no doubt. It is a reference most women loathe, though some are relatively comfortable with it at certain times. Anyway, I suppose it’s kind of a nasty word, and it’s certainly a charged one. Though, I think of how it was neutralized in an old Monty Python sketch in which a man who could not pronounce the letter ‘c’, and therefore always substituted ‘b’. He was advised to substitute ‘k’ rather than ‘b’ when something arose calling for a hard-c sound. “I could do that, couldn’t I?” he mused aloud, and then admonished himself by saying: “What a silly bunt.”

Done that way, it was very amusing.

Personally, I think it’s good that the ‘c-word’ still has the power to inflame the sensibilities of some.

After all, we’ve by-and-large defused entirely the ‘F-word’, so we should have something to shock folks with, maybe.

I actually do believe that society has become far too profane and tasteless, so it’s good that we still have a word we deem to be vulgar.

I suspect Jane thought so, too. Especially after she’d had her mouth scrubbed out with Lifebuoy after the show.

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger Synchronicity said...

i dunno...are there truly any words which are shocking nowadays? i have heard that word used in a genderless way in recent times as in so and so is the c*** of the week in politics.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I think it was tasteless of Fonda to say that. Swear words definitely make me cringe if used a lot in someone's conversation.

7:53 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

First of all cool Jane Pauley was "bunted" off for Deborah Norville. EVERYONE hated that. Out of embarassment at its blunder, NBC grabbed cute little Katie to replace the icy blonde.
If it makes you feel better, I still find many words offensive: The one mentioned in your story, the one I call "the other F-word" that relates to gas, and the P-word that some people use for "pee." There are also some expressions that I hate but dont even want to hint at.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Ah, the C word... The one word that is universally loathed. Funny how we give so much power to some words.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

It's strange how the C-word has held its potency while the F-word is now commonplace. Less than 30years ago the Sex Pistols saying "fuck" on primetime TV caused a sensation. How times change....

8:32 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I wonder what Fonda says about Iraq, do you have any idea? Who is the new Fonda in that respect?

9:44 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

I cringe at swear words too.

10:47 AM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

I guess my feeling about all this is the "c" word when used by men traditionally demonstrated their utter loathing of women...and like the "f" word, by claiming it and embracing it one maybe hoped to difuse the intended violence it seems to impart.

Like the "f" word, it will soon lose its impact with constant usage...

...but I agree with you, the world is becoming increasing profane in its use of language, and I think it kind of points to the overall ignorance of people...I could go on all day about this...but I do not want to "hog" your blog space.

cheers for now,
pj

11:58 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

I've noticed that the c-word is far more acceptable/commonly used in other parts of the world. Or maybe I just cover my ears and go bla-bla-bla whenever I think it's coming? :)

12:12 PM  
Blogger Dita said...

Absolutely the "worst of words" that has found itself within our society. Yikes

12:35 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

she always was a bit of a BUNT, so what's the big deal?

of course many women hate to hear/read it... til THEY use it, that is!

1:03 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

It used to so infuriate me, in the hotel, that I could be heard lecturing the men who used it!
I would remind them that as a derogatory term, it was stupid, since most of the craved one, for their personal pleasure.
If they really wanted to confer derision upon some thing, or some one, call them a limp prick, as there is nothing more useless in the world!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

Chocolate is a bad word? :)

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loathe that word. I can't even say it aloud. I don't think it is in the same category as fuck at all. I think it is always meant harshly and negatively and I'd likley end a conversation with someone who used it.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I was actually watching the show when it happened. Drinking my morning Java and shuffling into my work shoes. I literally stopped and wondered if I thought I heard WHAT I heard. It was actually a very funny moment.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Peter Clothier said...

Hmmm, interesting. I've always believed in calling, er, a spade a spade. I like most of these once-forbidden words when they're used honestly, but this is one I've never been able to use... or like. Perhaps because the sound itself is so unappealing. Pussy is cuddlier and more user-friendly, no?

4:31 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Although I don't like to hear the f*** word I think the c*** word is worse because it is so derogatory. It is definitely applied to a person whereas F*** can just be a general expletive.
Another of your great go with the flow posts.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Wenderina said...

This is so true. I never hesitate to use the "F" word (except when typing - it seems to harsh), but the C-word always makes me cringe. It's just that wee bit over the line.

But the hypocrisy of all of us is amazing. Didn't most of us watch the Sopranos which used not only totally profane language but shockingly profane behavior and violence as well? But that was okay to discuss and quote liberally the next day at the water cooler.

Funny how morality shifts isn't it?

9:08 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

I have long maintained that it's good to have a few choice bits of profanity put aside for special occasions. Otherwise, if one uses them every day, they aren't nearly so fun to say when one drops a hammer on one's toe.

3:34 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

balenciaga
yeezy boost
nike shox
curry 7
supreme clothing
goyard handbags
off white
supreme hoodie
adidas yeezy
converse shoes

4:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home