Friday, February 22, 2008

Stumperino the Magnificat -- RIP

It came to my attention, on this the day after my birthday, that it is now nearly three years since Stumperino the Magnificat went to a place where she could be ripped on catnip 24/7. Of course, there is no ‘time’ in feline heaven. There is no time on feline earth, other than mealtime.

Anyway, I have mentioned Stumpy before; at the time of her demise, I believe. She was called Stumpy because she was a full Manx with no tail whatsoever. I was also put in mind of her via Dumdad’s recent column about his own cat. A cat that boasted coloration very similar to that of el Stumpa.

Stumpy was only with us for 2 ½ years. We got her from a shelter and our vet deduced she was probably about six. So, reaching the age of only 8 ½ seems like kind of a rip-off. Especially to us.

Now, get this straight. Wendy is the ‘cat-person’ in this household. I am more of a canine aficionado. I mean, I have a cat. I had old Griffin prior to Wendy, and he keeps soldiering on in apparent decent health. He was my bachelor-days buddy, so I owe him a bit of my sanity and serenity.

But, the moment Stumpy came into the house, my preconceptions about cats were dispelled. It is a trait of Manxes to be more dog-like in manner and attitude. And she was. She bonded with me almost immediately. She followed me around the house and followed me around the garden. Wherever I happened to be, she wanted to be there. But, you know, not in a sucky, irritating way did she want to be there. She just wanted to be in my company, and then she would head out in the vicinity to murder snakes, catch bugs, chew grass, barf. All the fun things for a cat.

Stumpy was very attitudinal, but in a charming way. She strode the world with a stubby-gait that somehow reminded me of Jimmy Cagney in some of his early movies. You know, little guy, but you wouldn’t want to fuck with him – “you dirty rat.”

I grew very attached to her. We both did. And I hadn’t realized how attached I’d become until the day she, in agony, had to be transported to the vet and I, knowing instinctively something was very wrong with the obstreperous, personality-galore cat, braced myself for the worst. It was the worst. She was riddled with bowel-cancer. I gave the vet the nod.

On the way home I actually wept. For a cat!

Wendy and I often make references to old Stumperino. In so doing, we realize we really miss her. She got a short duration, but made a huge impression. Some people are like that, too. Their destinies call for them to be here for a brief time, but to leave an everlasting imprint.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

She's really beautiful! :)

That sounds like the type of cat I would want, too, if I decided to have one.

She's just so darned pretty!

9:04 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

A gorgeous cat Ian. They really do become a part of the family and are still missed years after they're gone.
Hope you had a good birthday.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Its funny how some cats really get to you. A lovely tribute to Stumpy.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Sugar. said...

Beautiful cat Ian. It is funny how attached we get to pets and how much we miss them when they are gone. A few years ago my own cat passed away at the ripe age of 18 and I still miss her dearly.

P.S. Happy belated birthday.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

I have met more than a few people who were cat 'haters', until they met the right cat :)
Paul Gallico wrote a great book titled The Silent Meow, and it is a must read for animal people everywhere.
http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Miaow-Manual-Kittens-Homeless/dp/0517556839
Belated Happy Birthday. Love the illustration of the cake!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Dita said...

Happy belated birthday.

Magnificat - Genius indeed.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

Consider this my moment of silence for Stumpy.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

Yeah...I hear you on that.

8:27 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Now that's what I would like a cat to be. More like a dog.
You gave her a good home for the balance of her life and I'm sure you enjoyed each other's company.

10:23 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Oh, yes, so true. Sometimes it isn't how long we have our loved ones but how deeply we feel their love, and their loss.

Stumpy was an unforgettable member of your family, and now I will remember her, too.

11:54 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

What a sweet cat. I'm sorry you had such a short time with him, but glad it was a good time.

1:26 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

Oh how sad. I wish she'd been able to be with you longer. She looks so cozy in that picture.

1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a manx when I was a kid - very friendly cat. I am a cat person, though. (Unfortnately an allergic cat person.) Stumpy was a great-looking kitty.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

You wrote about your beloved cat in a way that most people write about their beloved humans. This a really moving post. I'm so sorry you only had her a short time. Sounds like she was a wonderful kitty.

RIP Stumpy.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

Scabby the cat asked me to place a comment saying, "Now that's what I call an attractive cat!"

(Between you and me, I wonder if her comment is anything to do with their very similar colouring?)

8:29 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

A lovely touching tribute to Stumpy.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I have cried many tears for my beloved furkids that have passed on. There is this great book called "Cat Heaven" that I suggest when someone loses a cat. It is a sweet gem of a picture book...and it healed me many a time.

Stumperino was a most beautiful feline.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Oh, and Happy Belated B-day!

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home