Saturday, February 16, 2008

But, you know, it was only a movie


Aside from Phoebe Cates (sigh), my favorite character in the film Fast Times at Ridgemont High is stoner Jeff Spicoli, played by Sean Penn in a very early role. Penn isn’t known for being endearing in the parts he chooses, but Spicoli is a rare exception to his cinematic oeuvre.

Spicoli, aside from being cannabis-ripped ‘all’ the time, is also a world-class slacker. Stoner/slacker. The two go hand-in-hand, and that is my problem with all of those who would attempt to elevate cannabis sativa into the realm of a societal positive.

It’s not a societal positive any more than alcohol is a societal positive. In fact, one of the more amusing arguments by pot proponents is: “Hey, dude, it’s no worse than alcohol, the so-called legal drug.” ‘Legal’ in such a conversation, is drawn out by the speaker and uttered in disdainful tone. Of course pot's not any worse than booze. That’s the point. Indeed, it has been said many times that if alcohol had heretofore been unknown, but suddenly appeared on the horizon, it would be regarded in the same context as crystal meth in terms of the grief it causes when abused. In statistical fact, good old gargle causes more universal grief than all other drugs – legal and illegal – combined.

So, in light of that, why do I like Spicoli? Well, aside from being an endearingly comic character, he epitomizes all of the hypocrisy to be found in pot advocates.He's a buffoon, and many buffoons are charming. In don't think you want them doing neurosurgery on you, however, any more than you'd want a drunk to be carrying out the operation.
In that I will go back to my point about alcohol and ask the question, do I think marijuana use should be legalized? No, I do not. I don’t think in an addled society that we need another mind-altering drug in the mix.

By the same token, I don’t think it should be a criminal offence to either possess or partake of the weed. Should dealing be illegal? Small scale, probably not. Anyway, it’s impossible to enforce at that level and wastes an awful lot of resources in both personnel and money that could be better used elsewhere. Big-time grow operations? Absolutely. Bust their asses and impose draconian penalties. Why? Because here the underworld and international drug cartels come into the mix. In BC, which is grow-operation heaven, extremely potent BC Bud is traded virtually one-to-one for cocaine. In other words, this isn’t a matter of choice at such a level; this is a matter of gang warfare and atrocious violence. This isn’t Spicoli going out and getting gooned in the van.

At a personal level, I don’t really care what people do with their bodies. They can inject Lysol into their veins if that turns them on. I’m a libertarian and I detest state interference in lifestyle choices. It’s your body. Do what you want. Just don’t rip off my TV to feed your dumbfuck habit. On the other hand, if you are among my nearest and dearest, I care a great deal what you do with your body. I can’t control you, but I will grieve over bad choices and try to steer you in other directions.

Have I smoked reefer? Yes, years ago. And, unlike Bill, I did inhale. In fact, it didn’t do much for me and it was never ever a drug of choice. I didn’t like it, and I didn’t like what it did to me – like invoking sensations of depression or paranoia like I’d never experienced in my life theretofore. Nope, give me a stiff martini anytime – at least back then. Since I no longer drink, that was just a metaphorical comment. So, herb and I parted company around about the time Janis Joplin permanently left the stage. Oh, I did try some BC Bud about a decade ago. So, that’s what happens when you have a lobotomy. No, thank you.

I guess my real point here is this is a society that has great demands on its citizens to be the best that they can be. We have problems, and we need bright and astute minds to deal with those. I’ve never met a heavy pot user who would qualify as bright and astute. He or she might think he or she is, but that is pot-fueled delusion.

So, if you want to Be Spicoli, go ahead. But, you might find that people don’t find you as charming as a film character. They might just find you’re a pain-in-the-ass and a waste-of-space.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

I don't know the answer to breaking up the crime-time monopoly on dope distribution (is it better having governments control it? Likely not) but I do know almost first-hand what illegal grow-ops can do to land value. We were the lucky ones. The townhouse we lived in before moving here became a grow op (and was perfect for it) and the value of the houses in the complex simply never recovered aftre it was busted, while the house we bought has doubled. I saw the funniest billboard funny recently: "Dude ... we totally forgot our slogan." (The Medical Marijuana Association)

5:23 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Very good post Ian.
No I never tried it, I'm too busy keeping my subconscious down to risk letting it out so don't do alcohol or anything mild altering.
Here they don't even bust the grow-up people, just close them down when they find them.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

"You might find that people don’t find you as charming as a film character. They might just find you’re a pain-in-the-ass and a waste-of-space."

Well said. I've often had a similar feeling about people drinking excessive amounts of alcohol. As in, if you're under the influence and think you're uproariously funny, you probably aren't.

8:18 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I agree whole heartedly with what you say.
I have watched a previously pleasant functioning happy member attached to one of my family, turn into a useless aimless dumbf*ck!
He is so paralysed by his habit, I don't know how he keeps his job. Thank goodness he doesn't actually have a gun, which he does have a license to carry.

2:21 PM  
Blogger family affairs said...

Just to let you know I have quoted you in my latest post...all about how bad life in our 40's can be....hope you don't mind. Found you via dumbad - it sums up exactly where my friend's husband is at the moment and I don't hold out much hope for their relationship - what's the answer though? Same sex communes? Lulu x

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard on NPR that smoking one joint has the same effect on your lungs as smokng 6 (tobacco) cigarettes in a row. So there is at least one way it is worse than alcohol. I don't have strong feeling about teh legalization issue, although I'm not sure I see the value in egalizing another drug. It does nothing for me - makes my limbs heavy and makes me sleepy. Bleh.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

Spicoli was my fav as well. He was a carbon copy of several guys in high school too :)

These are great arguments. The next time they're debating legalization (if ever) you should publish this. Or have you already written articles in this vein?

The only thing which concerns me is medical usage. That should be allowed and people should be allowed to buy from their own suppliers (not government sanctioned growers).

10:32 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Good points. This is one of those issues that I can't really form a good opinion on. On the one hand, de-criminalization cuts down on the Big Crime aspect, like reversing prohibition did to the mob, and the government coffers would grow with the taxes. On the other hand, we'd have to wade through a bunch of doofuses smoking joints on their lunch breaks. Hmmm. Maybe it should be made legal as a medicine and marketed as a sleeping aid. Because, to me, it's only upside is the really cool dreams.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

Thought-provoking post. I've never seen that film so shall look out for it. Penn was superb as a drug-taking lawyer in Carlito's Way; his habit spun out of control as his decisions became more and more cracked.

10:00 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Pot never did anything for me, probably because I have never been a smoker of anything. But there was the one incident involving brownies in which I had a dream that I met God and he told me I could have whatever I wanted. I was ashamed to ask for anything, and woke up immediately.

I've been kicking myself ever since.

Hey, Ian, there's an award for you at my place.

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home