Tuesday, February 05, 2008

My Valentine Grannie

February 14th is Valentine’s Day. Happy Valentine’s Day for next Thursday, y’all.

More important to me, however, is that Feb. 14 is my grandmother’s birthday. She’d be coming up 118 if she were still around. She’s not. She hasn’t been for a very long time.

My grandmother was expedited to whatever afterlife she is experiencing at the age of 68. I was 14 at the time. She was struck and killed by a car as she was crossing the street to post a letter. It was an awful event.

Especially awful for me, I think. I had a certain bond with her the other 25 (or so) grandchildren didn’t have. When I was just born my mother came down with scarlet fever, or some similar 'quarantineable affliction. Consequently, she could not tend to my newborn needs, which I suppose were plentiful. “Oh, don’t worry about me, Ma. You just get well.” No, I reckon as a newborn I wasn’t quite that accommodating. Babies are like that. Gimme-gimme-gimme!

Therefore, with her daughter ailing, Grannie took over. So I, being a normal helpless mammalian creature quite naturally bonded with this caregiver. We ‘imprinted’, as Konrad Lorenz would have it, and ever afterward this woman was the female, caregiving mainstay in my life. My mother was quite secondary to me, which probably suited dear old Mom just dandy, since she wasn’t exactly the most nurturing materfamilias on the planet.

Everyday after school I would go to Grannie’s. She lived only a couple of blocks away, and I would take ‘tea’ with her. Mine was mainly milk, with a drop or so of tea in it. She was an old-school Brit and her afternoon tea was as vital to her as his jug is to a drunk. My memories of those afternoons are still warm and strong. They always will be.

In saying I was bonded to Grannie, I shouldn’t neglect Granddad. He was just a great guy to me. There was something of the pirate to him (and when I later learned of his hell-raising youth (he was on San Francisco’s ‘Barbary Coast’ before the ’06 earthquake when it was really a wide-open town), and slummed through Australia, New Zealand and the South African war before finally settling in BC, the pirate thing worked.

One of the happiest times of my entire childhood was when we lived at my grandparents’ for a few months while my parental home was being completed. I loved every minute of it. And when the time came to leave, I didn’t want to. I think I’d still like to go back and sit in that big old farm kitchen once again.

Anyway, when my grandmother was untimely killed – one minute she was there, and probably had a lot of good years left in her, and then she wasn’t and never would be again – I was, as I say, devastated.

But, I went inward with it. I went inward because ‘nobody asked.’ Neither parent ever inquired as to how I was doing with it. I wasn’t doing well. I couldn’t get my head around how she would never be coming back. The only immediate impact on me, I suppose, was that my grades began to suffer badly and I went from being an honor student to ‘just passing.’ My parents decided I was just jacking around and I’d better pull up my socks. I did. I pulled them up enough to get through university and into a profession.

But, always within me ever since there has been a disquietude; a vague discontent and especially a fear of abandonment. My fears haven’t always been unfounded.

On the other hand, maybe Grannie’s legacy to me is just that disquietude. Perhaps that is where whatever creative impulses I have originate. My attempts to maybe mould the world into something I would want it to be.

So, Happy Birthday Beatrix ‘Tita’ Bond-Pontifex this Feb. 14, and thanks for your help.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

Lovely.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

A lovely post and a lovely tribute to your Gtrandmother.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

A lovely tribute, but saddening. Her passing left a hole in your heart which none of the adults took the trouble to patch.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Beautiful post Ian.

9:57 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

She sounds perfectly lovely. You were blessed to have such a beautiful bond with her.

The unnatural circumstances of her death were both shocking and terribly unsettling in that you didn't have the usual luxury of knowing that someday grandparents will grow old and die. You learned that it can happen anytime, sometimes long before it is supposed to. No wonder you have never stopped grieving.

I believe that wherever your Tita is, she is very proud of you and hopes that you still feel her love, perhaps every time you take tea. And I'm guessing you do.

11:26 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Wonderfully revealing. You've mentioned your mother before but you have also given off that vibe that there was someone there who nurtured you. Grannie it was! (BTW my kids get the full English tea treatment after school every day, too. They're the only kids I know who drink tea.) Good thing she made it 'til you were 14, though that was still too young. And re. the nurturing thing. My brother and were discussing it just today. We realized that someone who is a championship worrier doesn't necessarily have any nurturing instincts. It explains a lot.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

"Grannie's legacy to me is just that disquietude."
I think that she is a marvelous muse.
Happy Birthday, Mrs. Bond-Pontifex.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

...and I love that the Valentine is written in RED.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Vic said...

A wonderful tribute, Ian.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

Oh how lovely your memories of her are. What a tragedy she was taken from this earth so early but surely she smiles down on you still and awaits the moment she can take tea with you again.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

Really beautiful tribute to your Grandparents, especially your Grandma. I'm so sorry that happened to her. And to you.

9:57 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

What a terrible thing to happen to your poor grandmother. Lovely tribute to her.

10:41 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

What a lovely Valentine to your Grannie. I think you may have read about how my Dad died suddenly and unexpectedly at his retirement party at the age of 62. There's something jarring and unnerving about the death of someone when they were fine and normal that morning and then dead that very night. I also felt somewhat abandoned as I was a Daddy's girl and I always new I had a safe place to go if I ever needed it. Here's to Grannie and Dad, I hope they've met.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

If I could choose one day of the year to be born it would be Valentine's Day, you will soon see the hearts and roses on my site.

9:50 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

I had a Grandmother like that. She was all things to me, when I needed them.
Lovely post Ian.

1:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHat a blessing that your grnadmother was there for you when your mother got ill. SHe sounds like a wonderful woman.

3:21 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

A beautiful post.

11:09 AM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

Lovely heart-warming post Ian.

I am now stricken with a slight case of the "green eye" ...

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home