Thursday, January 31, 2008

Graham Bell's curse on us all

Is it just me, or do other people get a little twinge in the gut when the telephone rings? I know I do. Even if I’m not anticipating bad news, I still stress slightly when that little electronic bell invades my privacy. That’s why I have both an answering machine and call display. Those technologies give me at least a little power over Mr. Bell’s demonic (yet necessary, I admit) invention.

I suppose my problem with the telephone is that it is, by its nature, and invasion of privacy. Phones also tend to ring at the least opportune times, like when one is bathing, tending to calls of nature, relaxing in front of the TV at the end of the day, or when making love. Many years ago I recall (in a TMI) an incident in which my first wife and I were tending to a pressing matter in that regard, when the phone on the headboard rang. Despite my protestations, she insisted on answering it, though not necessarily stopping what we were doing. Well, it turned out to be her mother. Needless to say, she absolutely couldn’t persevere through to any sort of a mutually satisfying conclusion with Mom on the other end.

My other big problem with phones was when I worked at a newspaper. I didn’t mind there so much when the phone rang, because I was at work. But, I detested making cold calls. I would procrastinate forever with those. That was back in the days when we could smoke at our desks, and sometimes it would feel like I could go through a half pack of cigarettes before I actually called up the person I was seeking. If it was somebody who didn’t really want to hear from a reporter, the call was even harder to make, because I knew I would have to ask some difficult questions, and risked having the phone on the other end being slammed down. “Politician Blotz declined to comment,” would be the way that interlude would be reported in the paper.

When I was in my teens, the absolute worst cold calls were the ones made to whichever female I might have been besotted with at the time, and I was always besotted with somebody. Initially making the call, or leading up to making the call (which might take days, even weeks), was agonizing. I would run through various scenarios: what if her dad answers the phone? Dads hate teenage boys because they think (quite rightly so) that they want to get into their daughter’s panties; what if her mom answers the phone. Moms are usually OK, but not always to be trusted. What if ‘she’ answers the phone? Will I be so petrified that I hang up? In later courtships it would be, What if her kid answers the phone? Her kid hates me because I’m having sex with his/her mother.

Today, of course, we have the ubiquitous cellphone. I’ve already ranted about these, but I do not understand the sick impulse to always be connected in such a manner. My cellphone stays in my glove-compartment and is only used in emergencies. Of course, being only used for such a reason, the battery is normally dead, which renders the satanic little device quite ineffective.

My cellphone, I understand, has all sorts of wonderful features aside from just the phone feature. I have no idea what they are. I have no interest in finding out. I grew up in the era of party-lines. To me it was revolutionary when we got onto a private line. That’s still all I want.

Oh, and my childhood phone number was DE-3954Y. What was yours? Have you ever tried calling it to see what would happen? Do you think you’d reconnect with yourself as a child in a strange time warp? That would be scary.




Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

I don't have call display, but I do have an answering machine and it's on ALL the time. I simply refuse to answer. Most of the time we get calls from people trying to sell us stuff we neither want nor need. Friends and family know to talk and if we're "there" we'll answer. We're often "not there".

You're right Ian, phones are a satanic invention.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

As to why people want to be available by phone 24/7 - maybe they figure it makes them somehow more important??

1:30 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

The fact is we would be lost without our phones today, I particularly dislike to see young children with mobiles.

2:02 PM  
Blogger sally in norfolk said...

when i left home in 1978 we didn't even have a phone... so i could only keep in touch by letter, which was hard for a 17 year old. Mum and dad soon got a phone but hardly ever use it even now.....

2:17 PM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

Oh, I just love the idea of calling the ancient phone number from childhood! Shivers!
What a great plot line! Hold that thought...
In case you haven't gone back to copy that cake recipe on my blog, I have ceremoniously tagged you for a Writers Q&A meme. You might want to try to defend yourself. Beats a phone call, eh?

2:36 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

hehe. i don't get a twinge when the phone rings - i just check the caller id and answer it if i want to talk with the person or let it go to voicemail if i don't.

the twinges i get are when i get an email that's delivered directly to my phone - can you say electronic leash? - from certain boys. my heart immediately STOPS! and then starts beating rapidly until i'm able to open said email and read what they've said. and yes, i get the freakouts with regards to contacting various specimens of the opposite sex. i don't call them much, more often than not i'll text or email, but even then, i will write and rewrite whatever it is that i'm wanting to communicate tens if not hundreds of times. and then once i have the general idea down? i have to edit. sometimes i'll save it as a draft and wait 'til the next day to send it. and this is, of course, after having procrastinated (sometimes weeks) about sending the communique in the first place.

2:49 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

The Phone is a necessary evil at times.
I have a mobile, that lives in my bag, & I never use it, but it is there if someone wants to call me.
I get livid with people texting each other & ignoring you when you try to talk to them.
Living away from my mother for years made a phone a necessity really. My brother still rings me every week from NZ when he can.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Phones are for my convenience not others. Most of the time I look at the call display and let it ring. I'll only pick up if it's Mrs. BB or the BB kids, or the BB family. I don't like calling, or talking on the phone. My cell phone is a family joke, nobody tries to call me on it anymore since it is always off.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

At the end of a long day, with the damned phone ringing every two minutes in my office -- each call adding a new project to my workload -- I absolutely want nothing more to do with Bell's curse when I get home.

And yet, very hypocritically, I get annoyed when I call someone and can't get through or they don't return my call.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only childhood phome number I remember is 567-8411. Not very exciting.

I often don't answer the phone, but I did tonight and had this conversation:
Me: Hello?
Caller: Hello?
(pause)
Me: Hello?
Caller: Hello?
Me: look, YOU called ME.
Caller: Oh, yeah.
(pause)
Me: I think you have the wrong number.

Sometimes, it just doesn't pay to answer the phone.

And by the way, I've moved.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

I remember party lines because Grandma's house had one :) They were awesome.

For years I've used call display and call answer. I never use my cell except for emergencies. Thankfully it holds a charge a long time but I bought the car charger kit just in case. It's for road emergencies mostly and have never needed it except to call ahead if I was really late to a family thing. It came in handy during family emergencies last year as we were all trying to keep in touch.

My very first home phone number, which I learned at 4 years old and was ours for the next 12 years or so was 949-4597. I've never called it because it's our number as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to dial it and hear a voice that isn't one of us....and half of us are dead now so...not a good idea. :)

Cool post. really great memories this brings back.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

I don't like phones either. Everytime the shrill ring shatters my silence I cringe and have to screw up my courage to answer it.
I tell everyone I'm a 'phone chicken', and let me tell you Ian...I am truly, truly glad that you understand!
(Also? I grew up without a phone. Just an eccentric little stand over of my Dad's. I usually attribute it to that, but I know it's not true. I just don't like 'em.)

9:39 PM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

I've had the same phone number for almost twenty years and now your post has me wracking my brains trying to recall it.

I can remember several childhood friend's phone numbers though. It's funny how a set of numbers can bring up a whole lot of memories.

10:27 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Don't you just love it when someone calls and asks suspiciously, who is this? What the heck, I'm not telling you, you tell me who you were calling.
Then there are the recorded messages, Congratulations, you have won ..... And they don't disconnect either, which I thought they were supposed to do.

1:16 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Im not a phone lover, but am lost if i dont have my mobile with me.

1:55 AM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

I think every right-thinking person has a touch of phonephobia.

How interesting about childhood numbers. I lived in Leeds, Yorkshire, until I was 10 - our number was 57978. That's amazing I can remember it! I imagine they've added a few digits to that now.

4:46 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

i'm with you on the cell phone crap, i don't know how to use the features on mine, nor do i wish to

as for the land line, i look forward to chats with family and friends/loved ones...

should get an answering device, i suppose, though if it's important enough, i figure folks will call back

4:58 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

It's not so much the phone but the etiquette of using them that's the problem.

I recently called a friend who answered her cell while I was talking to her. So annoying!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

That's a strange phone number, i don't remember our old family number, I'm sure they have all changed considerably since.

10:23 AM  
Blogger KiKi said...

Hi, I popped by via Wenderina (Anxious Moments).

I also hate the telephone. Guess I've expressed it quite often because when the phone rings my 4 yr old daughter sighs loudly and moans, "Not again. Stop calling, we're busy!"

7:47 PM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

Handy little nuisances though ...

You can always pull the plug on it .. or switch it off ... or throw it in the black hole of calcutta ...

Choice is a great thing isn't it?

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home