Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Something of a family tradition by now

In case you hadn’t been paying attention, Lost comes back tonight. This will only have relevance if you have been a Lost follower. I did become a Lost follower only because Wendy started watching it when it first was aired and, since I’ve gone along this far, I may as well continue.

Wendy started watching because she’s a sci-fi and fantasy aficionado. I’m mostly not. But, I got sort of hooked fairly on, despite how patently ridiculous some of the scenarios are. But, otherwise it’s really well-scripted and very well acted, and you end up liking some actors and loathing others. It’s sort of like Survivor but with a good script and not so many assholes.

And, it’s got Kate. The divine Kate makes if for me. With her freckly nose, amazing beauty, and ‘bad girl’ backgound, what could be better for a middle aged fantasist?

Lost is one of those maddening series, however, that is in fact a serial. That is, if you miss bits, it’s difficult to catch up, and it’s well-nigh impossible to come in at the middle. Consequently, I have never watched 24, and I didn’t watch X-Files. Well, I mainly didn’t watch X-Files because I thought the premise was stupid. But, that’s just me. As I said, I’m not a big sci-fi buff.

I don’t eschew all science-fiction, mind you. I like the concept of time travel; I get enchanted by afterlife scenarios, psychic phenomena and the like. I don’t necessarily believe in those things, but they do leave room to speculate. It’s kind of like God, if you get my drift, and I don’t mean to be blasphemous at all. I really like the idea of God, and think it would be just splendid if it were so, but I’m not always sure about it.

The kind of sci-fi that doesn’t enchant me much is that which involves aliens. Well, except for Alien itself, but that was mainly because it involved Sigourney Weaver.

Back to Lost. I am interested to know where they are going to take it. With the surprise flash-forward at the end of the season we saw that tiresome Jack and yummy Kate got off the island. But, they don’t seem to be together. Jack is bearded like the pard and hitting the sauce with a vengeance, and says he has to go back. OK. Good place for him. What of Sawyer? Sawyer’s the genuine dude. Corrupt as they come, but smart, and with a distinctive hillbilly charm.

Guess I’ll find out.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

Damn you Ian, I had pretty much decided that since they're so annoying with the reruns and stopping the show in the middle of the season for weeks and starting the season in January of all things, that I simply wouldn't watch it this season.

Now you got me wanting to watch again. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

By the way, I've tagged you - or will have as soon I get my post up.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

I wasnt going to watch it either, but then again i just might!

10:39 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

i caught a bit of it, somewhere in the middle of year one, not impressed

lady friends say so and so is a hunk, like i should care? lol

10:51 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Wait a minute, doesn't it start on the 31st? I'm pretty sure it does.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Actually, I prefer the assholes on Survivor and can hardly wait for it to start in February. Lost is not my thing although I have friends who wouldn't miss it...ciao

11:25 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

I love Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Action type shows and was all over X-Files and Heroes. I watched the first season of Lost faithfully but my schedule changed during the second season and so I didn't see every episode, and then couldn't figure out what was going on. Then I stopped watching entirely and haven't gotten back into it.

I think they need to move more towards the format of Buffy the Vampire Slayer where if you missed one episode, it wasn't the end of the world, and you could catch up with what's going on.

I don't know if I'll watch Lost again, even if it is pretty good again.

7:10 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I don't watch either Survivor or Lost. I tried Lost once but it was impossible to follow so gave up. I'm sure you're right that it's wonderful but too late now.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

See much as i am a scifi fantasy nut, I just couldn't get into lost, maybe because i missed season one, may give it a try on a future run, but for now I have plenty of junk to watch.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home