Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Steal our cab and you die, you rude person

So, here’s the thing. We were nearing the end of a train ride from Courtenay to Victoria yesterday. We often take the train in winter due to road conditions. And, as he always does as we approach the destination, the conductor asks if anyone wants a cab at the station. We did. Wendy gave her name to secure the cab, and that was that. We’ve done it many times before, since it’s a bit of a hike from the station to our apartment when you're hauling bags.

We get there, disembark, walk over to the cab area and there is a woman (who was on the train) climbing into 'our' pre-booked cab, and then they depart, leaving us standing there in the chill evening air with our bags. The complete and utter bitch! She knew it wasn’t her cab, but she was going to take it anyway. Unfortunately, the cabbie had neglected to ask for a name, but saw the woman and assumed she was his fare. The bitch, I repeat. The completely self-indulgent, sense of entitlement, it’s all about me, bitch.

We’d seen her on the train. She was 60-ish. She went to the restroom at least four times on the 130 mile journey, and spent about 15 minutes each time she was in there. People would gather jiggling outside while she was doing what? Showering? Hard to tell. She had more sense of entitlement than Hillary assuming it is her ‘right’ to be the next President of the US. We had her number.

What an insufferably rude society we have become. By that, I mean I wouldn’t dream of doing such a thing. That doesn’t make me special, it only means I was raised to be heedful of the feelings of others. I was raised to be empathetic. I was raised to care about how my actions might impact others and, at all times, to be as honest in my dealings as I could. As I say, nothing special about that. It’s a mark of civil behavior.

But, some people ain’t got no couth. We see it around us all the time. We see pushing in line, we see road rage directed at poor sods who are following the highway rules, but are somehow impeding a brain-dead asshole whose destination and pace in getting there are more important than the safety and well-being of the hapless souls with whom he’s sharing the road.

We see it with air rage (which is often fueled by libation liberality on the part of airlines – why don’t they smarten up about proffering unlimited potables?) in which a drunken jerk proceeds to put everybody at risk at 35,000 feet because the world isn’t going his way.

For the cab-stealing bitch I’ll ask her to read the scenario through and see how her behavior might have played out. Let’s say we were forced to walk the 10 blocks (which we were), but let's also say I was mugged along the way, or Wendy was raped and I was stabbed on the process (the streets of Victoria aren’t particularly benevolent after dark). Her simple act of ‘me first’ could have turned the lives of two other people into a nightmare.

But, I’m sure she slept well. Such people always do.

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I wonder what this woman could have been doing in the restroom for so long? Do you think she had a medical problem?

11:21 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Yes society today is not what it used to be!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

I am begining to sound like my mother!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Tough day, huh Ian?

This being said, our society is becoming incredibly rude I think. It's a tiny thing, but I always hold the door for the person behind me, or, if I'm going into a place and get there just as someone is leaving, again, I'll hold the door. I'd estimate I get a thank you approximately 10% of the time.

Waddya gonna do...

11:28 AM  
Blogger Vic said...

I find it fascinating that it is often the older generation, who rant on about the lack of manners of the younguns, that are the worst offenders. Age does not always bring wisdom and balance.

11:29 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

Age certainly did not bring that cow any grace or beauty!
I hold doors for people too, & am often disgusted at the lack of acknowledgment for the act.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

I agree with Meggie and Acuitytodos regarding age. Actually, we were commenting later how the loudest and most obnoxious group on the train was a group of older folk, and the quietest were the young people. Do people assume because they've reached a certain age they reserve the right to be pushy and obnoxious.
This could be a subject worth exploring in a future blog.

12:27 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Now Ian, she was probably pushy and obnoxious when she was younger too. Plus the old folks on the train too.

You know who she is, take a contract out on her.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

she probably was totally oblivious as you have guessed. rudeness is an epidemic these days. i am shocked when someone shows kindness.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

I going to make a guess here and say that she probably had a bladder infection or something similar...been there done that unfortunately...not the cab though...ciao

6:09 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

I'm reading "Talk to the Hand" by Lynne Truss at the moment...the coincidence on topic is astounding!

And, oh, the tales I could tell!!

6:28 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Narcissists with a sense of entitlement (and it's not a new phenomenon) always sleep well! But more to the point: there's a train between Courtenay and Victoria?? Cool.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

Hi,

Thanks for popping over to my world. A fellow journo - we've got to stick together!

This post rings so true and it could equally be applied to France. There's very much a "me first, sod the rest" attitude here. Especially on the roads.

I drive within the speed limits because it's safer, it's the law and because I usually have my young children in the car. Invariably, some prat will drive up close to me as though to nudge me to go faster - sometimes even sounding his horn.

And the prats won't just be boy racers but lawyers, mums etc. There are often jams because someone, I kid you not, has parked in front of the traffic lights.

I still try to be polite on the road. I often let someone cross the road or let some car go and, more often than not, I don't get a thank you or a nod of the head.

In the novel "The World According to Garp" Garp often screams and shouts at cars going too fast in his neighbourhood. I know how he feels. I get quite irate when I see cars screeching past me in a residential area that houses a lot of schools and therefore there are a lot of kids wandering around.

I could go on and on and.......

12:25 AM  
Blogger Eurodog said...

This is my first visit to your blog and wow! there it is a post after my own heart. I live in Brussels and believe me things are no better here.
I shall return.
Have a lovely day.

3:20 AM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

I can truly understand your frustration. You don't mince any words, do you? ;-)

I have noticed that older people can be particulary rude. I try to have extra patience with them, but it's not always easy.

When I was in my 20s, I produced a weekly radio show called "Creative Aging." I worked with a dozen seniors every week. It was like having a dozen grandparents. These active seniors were charming. Still, every week, they also got on my last nerve!

Ian, one day you and I will be old, but that won't happen for another 30 years or so. We won't be rude, will we? :-)

3:48 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I don't really know if Narcissistic people sleep well. I often think they toil over what else they didn't get in the day that they felt they were entitled to.

What a rotten person. I don't care how old she was. It does seem like our world is less caring, less cohesive and less courteous.


I have similar things happen when I am in NYC... and when it is cold out and you are tired and carrying luggage,etc. it's the worst. I secretly wish I had superpowers when those moments happen!

Hope you and Wendy shrug this off soon. Don't let this uncaring excuse of a person take anymore of from you.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Hermes said...

Cab stealing is unforgivable. But it is the cabbie's fault more than anyone else's. They are supposed to confirm identity. The same thing hapened to me at the Prince George airport, -30 outside. No fun!

8:58 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I think that people simply become more themselves as they age.

The woman who stole your cab was most likely a self-absorbed Me-Firster all her life. Unfortunately, there seem to be so many of them around, of all ages, and it makes life so much more difficult for the rest of us than it should be.

In most places, cabs gather at train stations looking for fares. I gather that is not the case where you live.

I'm very glad that nothing horrible happened to you and Wendy, but that is hardly the point. You should not have been put in that position.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Cycling Goddess said...

Hi Ian, fist time visiting your blog, great writing.

Rudeness has no age, no gender or race barrier. You get that everywhere. Ditto for the sense of entitlement. Society has generated a "me-me-me" instant gratification type of individuals.

Like many others here, I hold the door to people behind me, I drive safely and carefully but I perhaps have been guilty of being a tad impatient on the street with my fellow pedestrians and I've probably been called a bitch as well :)

I hope you got a way to tell her what she did was the ruddest thing someone can do.

8:56 AM  
Blogger barbalootsuit said...

The really sad thing is that we aren't talking about the younger generation having different ideas of what is acceptable behavior. We aren't the old people talking about how kids today have no respect. This societal rudeness is prevalent everywhere and at all age levels...and it is maddening!

I just returned from a visit at an art museum. I left after about an hour, because I was tired of people hovering over my shoulder or walking in front of me while I was viewing a painting, because - hey, that's what they wanted to look at next. Adults were allowing their children to run around priceless treasures, touching centuries old works of art without a thought or second glance at their offspring. There was a group of people stopped in the hallway before entry to galleries, entirely blocking people from entering or leaving and totally oblivious to the fact because they were engaged in a loud conversation about nothing art related. I mean, this is the Detroit Insitute of Arts...somewhere where you might expect some sort of respectful behavior? It wasn't Costco!! However, Costco behavior could be another topic for it's own blog.

Apparently, this sense of entitlement is being passed to our future generations. I mean, if the parent is ignorant of what constitutes good behavior how can they possibly teach it to their children? Doesn't bode well for the future!

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home