Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Absolutely not fade away

When I’m alone and going about various tasks, I tend to sing. Not ‘tend to’, I ‘always’ sing. I got that trait from my mother. She always sang songs from her era, so even today when I hear wartime ditties like ‘It’s Been A Long, Long Time’, or ‘I’ll Buy That Dream’ I’ll feel a slightly misty nostalgic tug and think of what might have been had she been a different person. But, water under the bridge, she did have a nice voice.

I have a reasonably decent voice and even sang for a while in a church choir when I was young. I was once singing in the car when we were riding with friends many years ago. The wife said, “Don’t sing, Ian, let Barrie sing.” I was insulted. On the other hand, Barrie once sang with the Norman Luboff Choir, the sonofabitch, so I could hardly compete. But, I continue to sing, nevertheless.

Lately I’ve noticed that I have been singing a lot of Buddy Holly songs. They’re good songs. Nice and melodic. Even my Glenn Miller era mother thought Buddy Holly was good. He also wore glasses and a shirt and tie, and was good to his family, not like that oily hoodlum Presley, in Mom’s esteem.

Buddy Holly was my absolute favorite singer when I was in high school. I don’t idolize people much, but he qualified. In fact, in high school I wore black-framed horn-rim glasses just like Buddy’s. I also looked a bit like him, so I was stuck with the nickname Buddy throughout my highschool years. I wasn’t entirely unflattered.

I realized when I was singing those songs, not the big blockbusters like Peggy Sue or Everyday, but lesser known offerings like Words of Love, Listen to Me, or Not Fade Away, that Feb. 3 is the anniversary of Holly’s unspeakably untimely death. It is not only the anniversary, but it is the 49th anniversary. Time goes fast when you’re having fun, no?

Charles Hardin Holley (sic) was born and raised in Lubbock, Texas. He was a decent but musical kid. One day he and his friends went off to relatively nearby Clovis, New Mexico and cut a record. The rest is, as they say, history. During his unspeakably brief career (he was not yet 23 when he died in that plane in a snowy February cornfield) he composed a mass of timeless, and sometimes brilliant songs that have never left us. Presley (and I don’t mean to demean him as a stylist) never composed a thing.

People have paid homage to Buddy Everybody from Gary Busey in the quite well done Buddy Holly Story, to Don McLean with the longwinded American Pie.

Who knows where Holly would have gone if he had led a normal lifespan (he’d be 72 now)? But, he didn’t, so we can rest content with the huge songsheet he turned out in his very brief time on earth.

What was I doing “the day the music died?” I was a young kid riding on a bus to a dental appointment. I was already bummed out, so the news of Holly’s death just added to my angst.


Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I remember his music as a kid too. I liked 'Oh Boy' and 'Never Fade Away' as well as Peggy Sue and others.

9:52 PM  
Blogger dinahmow said...

"Rave On."

10:46 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

I cut my teeth on Buddy Holly, usually cheerfully sung off key by my father.

It's a crying shame that Holly died so young. He'd just barely gotten started.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Casdok said...

My mum used to sing his songs to me!!

2:07 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

i'm with you, ian... he was great!

we also lost 'the big bopper' and richie valens in that crash

waylon jennings was bumped from the plane by 'bb', so lived to become a star on his own, and then a member of 'the outlaws', as you know....

4:20 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I subject no one to my singing voice. Ever.

Except when I'm alone in the car. And even the car groans.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Hermes said...

Holly was great, no doubt. I like how you said "decent but musical" as if to say the two qualities were in opposition and not normally found together. There may be some truth in that.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

I wonder if his untimely death helped immortalize those songs....

8:48 AM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

I am banned from singing around people, it's too painful for them to hear songs butchered that badly, but leave me with my own company for a couple of minutes and i'm off.

9:21 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

My favourite will always be "Fools Paradise."

Still have old records & still love the music just as much today as I did when I was a teenager, not usually given to teenage crushes!

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home