Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Ach, Tannenbaum indeed

Ach Tannenbaum,
ach Tannenbaum,
du bist ein edler Zweig!
Du grünest uns den Winter,
die liebe Sommerzeit.


This is to be my absolutely last word on the Christmas season other than to say: Feliz Ano Nuevo to everybody, and let it go at that.

But, I had to have just one more visitation because today is the day the tree comes down. I’m of mixed feelings about that, primarily because the tree provides a nice little décor accent in the room. I once thought it would be a good thing to leave up the Christmas tree year-round and merely change the decorations with each passing month. It could be the Tree for all Seasons. Might be a nice idea.

While much of Christmas is either meaningless or offensive to me, I do like the idea of the tannenbaum. It was a good German addition to our culture, as opposed to Storm Troopers in jackboots tromping up the stairs at 3 a.m., which never did sit well with me.

I used to be a purist about Christmas trees and insisted on having a natural ‘real’ tree. In my earliest times I recall going out with my grandfather to cut our own. My grandmother invariably hated his choice, by the way. Later we bought a tree, but it was still good. It smelled lovely and put an aroma of Christmas in the room. Christmas trees and the arrival of the first mandarin oranges (in little pine boxes, each orange individually wrapped in pale green paper) meant that Christmas was nearly there. Now, of course, mandarins are available year-round and come in crass cardboard boxes, and trees have not only become inordinately expensive, the conventional wisdom of a few years ago held that they were environmentally evil. Why murder a li’l tree before it gets the chance to become a big tree?

So, about five years ago we bought an artificial tree. That was something I vowed I would never do. Artificial trees were to me like silicone enhanced breasts in that they may look real but a certain charm is invariably lost. But, having grown tired of pitch stained carpets, dropping needles, forgetting to water and balky and inadequate tree stands, with thought we would give a fake one a shot. Turned out that we liked it just fine. It looks good, doesn’t drop needles or ooze pitch, and no real tree has been murdered.

This year, however, we were told that the conventional wisdom on trees has changed, and for this I entirely blame Al Gore. He can take it, he won the freakin’ Nobel Prize, for heaven’s sake. Anyway, big Al, or one of his sensitive minions said that artificial trees are environmentally taboo. Not quite at the level of clubbing baby seals or owning a fleet of Hummers, but of impact, nevertheless. You see, if you plant a tree, and even if you chop it down prior to maturity, it has still done good things in terms of carbon footprint. Artificial trees, on the other hand, come from vile, coal-fired factories in China and hence are evil-evil-evil.

Well, I say to Al, go have carnal knowledge of yourself. He can take it (see Nobel Prize.) We’re keeping our fake tree.

And now it’s time to divest the tree of its baubly garb. We both have ornaments from a couple of random marriages we have kicking around in our pasts, plus some from vacations in Europe, S. California, Hawaii, all of which have little stories of their own, so it’s comforting in a way to look at them and muse about their tales of Christmases past.

And then the little faux tree will be folded up and put in a box and life can resume a touch of normality. I don’t mind that.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Casdok said...

A tree for all Seasons. You might be onto something there!

10:41 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

I like the idea of the tree for all seasons, decorated with anything you choose, any time you choose.

:)

10:51 AM  
Blogger Belizegial said...

Ian,

Thanks for the lovely thoughts *LOL*

Here's to wishing Wendy & you a very healthy and happy 2008!
May you continue to keep us entertained with your wonderful blog postings.

Prospero Ano Nuevo!
Enid

2:14 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I too like the idea - in fact so much so that a few years ago I bought a bonsai shaped fiber optic tree that has soft pastel colors that give a nice soft glow in the evening year round and during Christmas I shut that off, add a string of mini lights and all the decorations, and presto it becomes a Christmas tree. The bonsai shape makes it look less like a Christmas tree the rest of the year - I just love the thing and got it at Overwaitea for $70 about 6 years ago. Also because it is bonsai shaped it can fit in the smallest of corners.

7:53 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I don't want my real Christmas tree dropping needles all year but I do leave up my front door Christmas wreath until Spring.

10:37 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

So now I want to get my new little fake tree back down from the attic and put red hearts and red lights on it for February, green lights and clovers on it for March and Oh wait! Easter is also in March this year so half the month it would have pretty pastel lights and pretty colored eggs. Okay, that's too much work. But I liked the idea for a few minutes!

12:17 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

good plan, that tannenbaum for all seasons!

for the past 10 years, since moving to the east coast, i've used my 12" faux tree, with burlap bottom... i added tiny red apples, a silver bead garland, and red bows to the green tree... when not in use on my kitchen table for about a week, it resides on a shelf in my bedroom closet... 15 seconds to transfer back to the table when needed ;)

7:16 AM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

We have a live tree. See my blog post for December 24, 2007.
http://winnowings.blogspot.com/2007/12/merry-little-christmas.html

I really like it and it smells good. It won't go outside today because a big storm is coming.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I took care of the watering situation by not having any tree in town. It's at the cottage so it's artificial since we're not there to water it during the week. Besides, I recycle, I compost and there's nothing sadder than dead trees on the side of the road. So there.

1:14 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Never mind Al Gore.(How did that man get the Nobel?? O that is right, I heard rumours of rigging)

I am for fake, since they can be recycled for years, & no one gets murdered. (I am a tree hugger!)

1:42 PM  
Blogger CS said...

I think you can make pretty sound environmental arguments either way. I get a fresh white pine every year (cut down by my boys) and they are remarkably inexpensive at the tree farm we go to - we paid $23 for a 7-foot tree. I love the smell, I love the soft needles. I took it down New Year's and my older son chopped the trunk up for firewood. The branches return to the woods out back. But my wreathe, outside the kitchen door, will stay until it dries out.

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home