Thursday, December 20, 2007

Looking at a 'different' Christmas

Christmas is a time of music. Often too much music that begins to infiltrate our consciousnesses much too early in the season. Its ubiquity notwithstanding, I do have my personal favorite pieces, and even my favorite collections.

A cherished possession is an old cassette tape of Christmas music from the Kings College Choir of Cambridge. I actually bought the tape at Cambridge in 1976 after having had the privilege of hearing the famed choir rehearse. Their rendition of O How Amiable still can give me chills.

But, there are others; sacred ones, secular ones and even goofy ones, like Rolf Harris’s Six White Boomers, and Jimmy Boyd singing I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus. I also confess to affection for Presley’s Blue Christmas, and of course ‘der Bingle’s’ White Christmas.

But one piece that is rarely played and that I have a huge affection for is Fairytale of New York, as offered in a (probably) drunken growl by the Pogues’ Shane McGowan and the inimitable and wonderful late Kirsty MacColl (pictured). This one really does give me genuine chills, even though the sentiments offered seem to be contrary to our clichéd images of Christmas.

It’s appropriate to consider this piece right now for a few reasons. First and foremost because it’s Christmas and we’re often inclined to forget what Christmas means, or doesn’t mean, for society’s forgotten denizens. Secondly because the stodgy BBC recently wanted to censor the song and delete references to both ‘slut’ and ‘faggot’, as in “You’re a scumbag, a maggot, a cheap lousy faggot …” The Beeb ultimately reneged due to a huge outcry.

And finally because it is almost exactly seven years ago that the heavenly voice of Ms. MacColl was forever silenced when she was hit by a speedboat while scuba diving with her sons off Cozumel, Mexico. She was hit by the boat in an area that was banned for boating traffic due to diving. The inquiry into her death continues, but the Mexican government has consistently refused to own up to any negligence.

Why the sentiments of the piece work for me (far more than John Lennon’s Merry Christmas, War is Over) is that it’s a sincere study of the desperate lives of the street people, winos, junkies and the misbegotten and forgotten in New York City, or your city.

If you are unfamiliar with it, take a look on YouTube. You might love it, or hate it (which would be understandable, too) but I guarantee it will have impact.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

You can't beat King's College choir for Christmas, I have their songs too. It's impossible to get to see their Christmas Eve concert, people queue from 6am for a 5pm service. But I have seen them on other occasions. And my son did sing with his school choir this week at Ely Cathedral. It was very magical.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

Fairytale is one of my faves too. The Pogues are touring again with McGowan. He's not a pretty sight these days - a bum, a punk and an old slut on junk - but a friend of mine says the show was good.

1:03 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I don't know that I had ever watched this before. I watched several versions on You Tube.
Thankyou for the lead.

1:24 PM  
Blogger CS said...

I don't know that one - I have to look for it. My all-time favorite Christmas album is The Kingston Trio's "Last Month of the Year." There are some very old songs on it, and some that are quite sad. For me, it wouldn't be CHristmas without it.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I happen to really love "The Drifters" version of White Christmas.

4:56 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Now Ian, you non techie you! You are supposed to embed the video in your post which is the easiest thing to do, instead of sending us all over the internet looking for it.

Luckily you are not the only one posting about this so I've seen it elsewhere.

I have several Choral collections of Christmas songs and they are the best. But nothing beats Pavarotti's O Holy Night. That still send shivers down my spine, every time I hear it.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

I'll go over to YouTube to check it out...I tend to despise the usual Christmas songs, especially when today's pop stars try to remake them. Maybe this one will resonate with me.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I've not seen this either but it was definitely good.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Yes you cant beat the Kings college choir at christmas.

Off to You tube.....

12:10 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

yeah, 'faiytale' is one of the best

the tripe they play in malls/stores, for too long, supposedly 'increases sales'... makes me stay home

4:11 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I just played the video and it's great! Such a tragic story about Kirsty MacColl,and the detail of dying in front of her children is unthinkable.

Her unforgettable voice was truly sparkling with life. What a loss to all of us.

Thanks, Ian.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home