Wednesday, December 12, 2007

'In my craft or sullen art ...'

I think I have mentioned before that sometimes, when the stresses of writing weigh down upon me, .leaving me with a need to escape, then ideally I want to (must) leave my chosen (I think it chose me, rather than the other way around) creative realm and find a safe harbor.

Ideally, that safe harbor would be Nawiliwili on Kauai, but when that ain’t possible (like now), I go elsewhere to get away. That ‘elsewhere’ manifests itself by my finding my brushes and my acrylics and turning my hand to creating a painting.

I don’t know if I’m very good, but what’s more important, is I don’t care if I’m very good. The moment I begin to care, then the freedom is gone and the ego becomes involved, and then the process is doomed to become another source of rigor in my life.

Don’t get the impression from this that I dislike writing. I cherish it, and I cherish whatever skills in that regard I was given. I’ve been doing this thing for over 30 years and have always earned some sort of living at it, so I suppose my work is decent enough. Frankly, I think I am well more than ‘decent’ at it, or I wouldn’t be inspired to persevere.

But, with art it is different. If somebody comes into the house and likes a painting that I’ve done, I’m delighted. Of course, that person doesn’t see the flaws that are glaringly obvious to me. Yet, at the same time, I really don’t give a damn about the flaws because this is purely hobby, doing what a hobby is meant to do. The second a hobby becomes an avocation, it moves into a different realm.

Actually, I’ve been involved in the visual arts for longer than I’ve been writing. I began to draw before kindergarten, and I continued throughout school with cartoons. I cartooned avidly well into adulthood, and even middle age. Some of them aren’t bad. Some of them are quite good. Some of them are funny. Some of them are dirty (but ‘funny’ dirty). I even had an exhibition back in the 1980s. Actually, I should get a few made into jpgs so I could share them here.

My first newspaper job was as an editorial cartoonist. It was a challenging task.

That killed my love of cartooning, you see. A hobby became work, and it lost much of its charm.

So, sporadically, beginning about 20 years ago, I started painting. I’d do it. Then I’d leave it off. Life would intervene. Sometimes not the most charming aspects of life. But, for the past two or three years, painting has been a bit of a continuum. I still like it.

The painting (just completed) is a scene of a dramatic canyon near Crater Lake, Oregon. I probably don’t capture the vista as magnificently as it looks in the raw. But, what the hell? I enjoyed doing it.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I think it is stunning and I love the warmth of it all, you are incredibly talented.

10:57 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

I like it too, but that is immaterial. As long as you get joy from doing it, keep it up!

I make my quilts in the same way- they are not, & never will be perfect, but they are made to be loved to death, & the making is the joy, to later gift to those I love. Or just to keep, & enjoy, knowing the faults are all there.
Like your paintings, I dont care if others like them or not, but am delighted if others do.

Your talent at writing is a great gift you have to give us all!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

Lucky us who are given the gift of being able to both read your art and to view it, as well!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Whether or not it is "good" is immaterial. I quite like it, but then who am I - or anyone else - to judge. Like you say, as soon as it becomes about "good" it goes into a whole differnt direction.

I have the same thing going on with my collages. The only sense in which they are good is that when I'm doing them, I lose track of time and of anything but that.

And unfortunately, what with life getting in the way, losing myself in an activity doesn't happen often enough, so I cherish it when it does.

1:01 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

you mention the exact reason why i didn't major in violin performance in school: i didn't want my hobby/love to become work. granted, i now teach violin, but it's hella fun and i wouldn't trade it for the world. however, i think that if i had to spend 8 hours a day playing to earn my dinner, i'd rather burn my violin to heat up said dinner.

good post, Ian. :)

2:19 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

all the reasons why creative pursuits are important to many of us... well said!

2:49 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I really, really like it! The colors are so warm and the lines are compelling.

You are so right that as soon as we begin to worry about whether our work is any good, the freedom is gone. Ego makes all our delight vanish and completely kills our pleasure in the simple act of creating something that just feels good. And in your case, looks very, very good, too.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Beautiful! That you enjoy doing it is what matters. And in another lovely connection, I (at least used to) paint, too. I'm sure that surprises you to hear it! We all need those escapes, don't we? (The answer is yes, yes we do.)

7:47 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Oh Ian that is absolutely delightful! You have talent - sure there might be mistakes but just try to show me a piece of art that an artist is totally satisfied with - it isn't going to happen and that's what keeps us going. Thanks so much dear friend for showing your work - I'd love to see your cartoons!

9:12 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Very nice Ian. You received two great talents when they were being handed out.

10:42 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Ian, that looks like a woman's body. She is wwearing a green dress with both breasts exposed. Your mind never travels far does it? Oh wait, maybe that was MY mind.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Casdok said...

A man of many skills.

2:03 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Oh, it is a beautiful work of art. How wonderful that you have this talent and ability to express, destress and all.

10:17 AM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

Writerly and painterly ...

Gifted with many talents.

Lucky man.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home