Monday, December 03, 2007

We probably deserve God's wrath -- but, geez ...

We had a huge, nasty, disgusting, and unrepentant inundation of snow on the weekend. It was a detestable turn-of-events.

Snow, if you didn’t know, is God’s way of saying: “You’re all hopeless and vile and I’m going to screw you up so you can’t do anything other than risk a coronary by trying to get rid of what I threw at you. And, when you do get that driveway cleared I am going to see that two things happen: One, the triple-overtime earning snowplow drivers are going to fill up the entrance to your drive and walkway with dirty, nasty ‘street’ snow that is all hard and icy and filled with pebbles and possibly used condoms and hypodermic syringes. Secondly, once that’s done, I’m going to make it snow again.”

“Oh, and don’t trust those bonehead forecasters,” He adds. “They all work for me and that is why they are 100% wrong all the time, yet never get fired. So, I had to laugh when you actually bit on that few flurries bit; you know, the crap the forecasters handed you that led you to believe that maybe you’d get out Saturday and do some Christmas shopping; maybe look for a tree, and get all Christmas spirity. Well, screw you. You’ve messed with me too much lately, and you don’t deserve any breaks.”

At least, that’s how I see the origins of the weekend ghastliness.

We got, I think I heard, about 30 centimetres. That is, in ‘real’ measurements, like the kind I grew up with, hence understand, about 17-feet – or so it seems.

But, after much digging, I did get out today. God felt we’d been punished enough – for now. I ran a couple of errands and stopped off at a local drug store on the way home so I could pick up a newspaper. The clerk is this stunningly gorgeous woman I’ve known for years and about whom I’ve had all sorts of untoward thoughts. But, it’s OK, she’s also happily married to a guy who makes Brad Pitt look kind of average, so I never felt I stood much of a chance, even in my inter-marriage days. Anyway, this ravishing person proceeded to say: “Wasn’t it a lovely weekend? Oooh, I just love the snow. It’s so beautiful and peaceful and quiet. Heavenly.”
I felt all my age old, salacious musings vanish in a trice; mumbled a pleasant good day to her, took my paper and left. I didn’t want to risk saying what I really thought but, alas, it did diminish her just a teeny bit in my esteem. Anyway, her husband’s probably really boring, and that’s why she likes to get out and play in the snow.

All of this is to say that even though I live in Canada, we don’t generally get a lot of snow out here on the west coast, so I have to wonder why God is punishing us. He is supposed to keep punishing those who live elsewhere in Canada because a) they deserve it more and b) they’re used to it and probably don’t drive like they’ve lost all of their brain cells the moment the first flakes fall.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

That’s the good thing about having winter only once a year. People forget the previous year. Every year the people on the west coast say they never get any snow, and every year they get several huge snowfalls. Remember the blizzard of 1996 when the whole lower mainland and Vancouver Island was at a standstill for over a week? Or the blizzard of 2005 when the same thing happened? Or 1991 or 1992 or…? The year that it doesn’t happen is the unusual year.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

You don't deserve God's wrath. You live in Canada. Everybody knows Canadians are wholesome, good people. That is, apart from occasionally having salacious thoughts about drugstore clerks.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

So I take it you don't like snow then LOL I saw where we were to get more next week too...if we don't float away first.

5:54 PM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

Ugh! I don't like snow! Not at all! It serves no logical purpose that I can imagine.

7:29 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

it was 86F/26C here yesterday.

that offer still stands ... remember the one about trading places? i'll take all your snow. and yes, i'm crazy.

9:20 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Yes, it is so easy to forget how miserable each Season can truly make us feel!
I remember the bitter cold snowy, icy winters in outer Christchurch. I long for them now.

I used to long for the heat of Aussie, & the almost perpetual Summers. Heh!
I would trade them for the snow now!!

Love that pic of the trees. I really does make me think of Xmas!

10:39 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

we only got about 10 - 12 cm [officially] on the weekend in my area, but that was made up for by yesterday's and last night's dump!

still a mess here, and now it's raining, with freezing temps forecast

3:51 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Waddaya mean we deserve it?

May God dump another few feet on you for that comment! (she says, as she watches what is probably the 35th cm of snow in 24 hours fall on Montreal).

7:53 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

Here, in Victoria, we recieved but a light dusting that promptly vanished about half an hour after it landed.
(I'm just setting myself up, aren't I.)

8:19 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

Oh wowzer! That's a LOT of snow!

My mom said she could not take the winters in Montreal so that's why they moved back to the Chicagoland area. I never got that rationale though. It's not like Chi-town is snow free...like LA! 80 degrees today, whoo hoo!

10:32 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

Thank goodness it didn't stay. This is the banana belt for heaven's sake. What's with this snow in November

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home