Monday, November 26, 2007

The world is awash in a sea of plastic


I don’t mean to be indelicate here, but if you want a sure sign of the aging demographic within society look not just to all the wonderful pharmaceuticals designed to address the ‘unable to get it up’ syndrome, but also to all the TV advertising devoted to incontinence garments.

Nothing wrong with either per se. Indeed, they provide a little proof that not all is bad with the modern world in that randy old goats can continue to be randy even longer, and nobody needs to suffer the embarrassment of wetting their knickers in public – at least so the public knows about it.
(As an aside, and not bragging but I don't happen to need either -- yet)

But, I will now go to a campaign that is gaining momentum, and that is the hopeful decline of the ubiquitous use of plastic bags for every shopping trip. We have just gone through years of frivolously utilizing these environmental abominations, and then we have discarded them, heedless of the fact that even if the apocalypse should transpire, the bags will go on, and on, and on, right along with the cockroaches.

While I am not environmentally hysterical, I applaud admonitions against (so called) throwaway plastic bags. They are evil. They clutter the environment and landfills and they don’t break down. They abound in the seas of the world from the Arctic to the Antarctic, and everywhere in between. They choke the wonderful sea turtles (and don’t mess with my sea turtles, I love ‘em) that mistake them for jellyfish. They’ve been known to strangle dolphins, and so on, and so on. They’re terrible things, and we don’t need them.

One alternative has been the provision of reusable grocery bags. I like that concept. We have a whole bunch of them in a cupboard and, of course, I invariably forget to bring one along when I got to pick up a few items. Give me time. I’ll learn. I can see how these store bags have a potential to become snobbery items. You know, should you have a bag from Harrod’s or Neiman Marcus you are going to use such bags to impress neighbors who sport bags from, say, ‘Sam’s Grocery’. But, that’s OK. People are who they are, and as long as they’re not using plastic bags, I am happy. And, we should take time out to commend the merchants who will no longer provide them. Here in Canada, SuperStore is eschewing their use. I'm sure there are merchants in your community doing likewise. Encourage them.

But, back to those disposable grown-up folk nappies. We have had the so-called disposable ones for infants, but now we have larger ones for much larger folk. Quite seriously, as the years go by, what are we to do with those? Many brands are meant to be peed in and chucked, not laundered. Well, that’s not entirely environmentally responsible. My suggestion is that if you or somebody in your family needs this product, then get ones that can be laundered. Otherwise, we're still behind the environmental eight-ball.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Janice Thomson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Sorry Ian that was me - made a few mistakes.
You are so right about the worldwide problem of plastic. I recently read an article that was most shocking. Check it out when you get a chance

4:52 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Sorry but the link wont take Ian

4:53 PM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

I have cotton grocery bags and have also preferred them. I'm not a fanatic about it.. but if the cotton bags were cheaper, it would encourage people to use them. They are a bit costly.

5:15 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Plastic shopping bags have been outlawed in San Francisco within the last week or so.

You know, I could be wrong but it seems that incontinence and erections do not really go together all that well.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

I really appreciate the fact that Safeway sells reusable bags for .99 cents each.
I buy them and reuse them. They're black, a great colour!
And I have no shame in using them at other stores.
It makes me happy.

6:12 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I have permanent grocery bags which I leave in the car always so I am always ready. Our grocery store has sold them for years so I use them everywhere else too.

7:35 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

When I was homebound with a newborn, I started making cotton bags, and I have tons of them in a box in the cupboard. I use them all the time; very handy, indeed.

I believe Tofino was declared a plastic-bag-free zone last year. It would be great to see the same thing happen here. :)

8:04 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

We have the same issue with not remembering the reusable bags, so I've taken to leaving them in the back of the car. I should emulate kimber and make a bunch of cotton ones, too.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Ian, when I am older and incontinent, I will use cotton diapers, and send them to you to launder. No starch please.
V.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Casdok said...

That picture says it all.

1:07 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

It takes up to 200 years for disposable nappies to decompose at landfill site, it is important to use alternatives. In Holland, babies nappies are left on the kerbside and collected by the local authority for recycling. they are stripped and the plastic is recycled, as well as the poop!

9:14 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

am in full agreement on the plastic bags and diapers issues... have used cotton grocery bags for at least 15 years... they are washable, too

as for the diaper issue, i have no easy solution, since keeping those folks at home is as foolish as trying to get them to shop during times other than rush hours....

10:25 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I have cotton grocery bags in the house, I have some in the car and I have a few at the cottage. Plus I have one that folds into its tiny little bag that I keep in my purse so I'm never without.

I love my reusable bags. I can't help but wonder though, how, without plastic bags, I'll dispose of kitty litter if ever I get another cat.

1:15 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

with regards to the plastic bags, i try to shop only when i absolutely need something, and since i'm single, it's usually not a lot of things all at once AND i can go whenever i choose so i try to only buy as many things as i can carry at once ... no bags. every morning i run past my local store to pick a muffin for breakfast on the way to work and there's a cashier who INSISTS on putting my already sheathed muffin into a bag for me ... and each morning i leave it right next to her register after telling her repeatedly that I DON'T WANT IT.

as for the diaper situation, i have the perfect solution: i'm not having kids. heh.

3:08 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

The plastic bags kill many marine creatures here in OZ, & the rings from the top of plastic milk bottles are choking birds to death. Man really is just an environmental vandal, who may one day pay.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home