Sunday, November 18, 2007

It's not just a matter of 'spending a penny'

I guess it's a case of 'watch' while you wee with this baby

When you first swung your feet over the edge of the bed this morning it is likely that your first order of business – before coffee even – was, well, your first order of ‘business’. That is, you went and had a pee. Most of us do. I confess, I do.

You go into your nice appointed biffy, all chrome and porcelain, and clean and sweet smelling, and you do what nature demands that you do at that precise moment, with not too many moments to spare past that precise moment.

But, the point is, you probably don’t think of yourself as being remarkably privileged in being able to spend your first interlude of wakefulness tending to your needs in pleasant surroundings.

I mention this because, and you might not have been aware, that tomorrow, November 19th is World Toilet Day. That’s right. This year the international convention is being held in Bangkok, and this UN sanctioned recognition of global tinkling needs is far from being a frivolous one.

In that, it is much more important than National Hot Dog Day, or Dill Pickle Month. What it addresses is the deadly serious reality that while most of us in the First World have pleasing sanitation options, some 2.6 billion people worldwide have no form of improved sanitation.

That means that when they need to ‘go’, they either go to the bush, or some sort of vile outhouse contraption. Those of us who have traveled in destitute countries know well how challenging, not to mention obnoxious, such rudimentary facilities can be. That is to say, this isn’t just outhouse use while camping, this is for those who live there, all the time.

It’s not all about esthetics, either. Anyone can get over bad smells and fears of rats coming up through the hole our bare bums are hovering over What the conference strives to address is how rudimentary sewage disposal despoils potable water sources and spreads such diseases as cholera, dysentery, and polio.

The old ‘jokes’ about not drinking the water in Mexico are much more serious than ripostes about turista, or Montezuma’s Revenge, they reflect that here is a society that, especially in rural areas, is not yet dealing adequately with human evacuation. My ex-wife got amebic dysentery in Mexico when we were on there on vacation. It was utterly unamusing, and the residuals lasted for virtually a year afterward, and depleted her already challenged health (she has MS) radically.

So, as I say, enjoy your comforting potty visit (as will I) but lend a thought to the reality of the day. And realize that we live lives much more charmed and safer than elsewhere in the world.


Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger beachgirl said...

Ian you are amusing. World Toilet Day. I love it.

I do feel lucky living down in South Florida. We do have gorgeous weather most of the time. But we have now officially started our dreaded season.
Yes you guessed it. Our dreaded French Canadians have arrived in full force and still have no clue that no you just don't make that right hand turn from the inside left lane. I am not kidding.
I know you are Canadian. But oh my. While on the beach we now only hear French and see very large men and woman in speedos.
But the visitors do add to our economy and for that we are very thankful. It means September and October and the slowest months of our retail year are officially over. And another year of no hurricanes. We were very blessed this year again.
Those of us that live down here often wonder how it seems our roads are always packed and if anyone works.
I hope you are not to frozen this winter. You can always come down and join your fellow Canadians and soak up some sunshine..


Have an awesome night.
Carol

5:05 PM  
Blogger Scarlet said...

World Toilet Day. I will make sure I spread the news about this one!

6:03 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Waste management definitely needs to be adressed for health's sake.
When we travelled in Thailand it was quite a shock to 'meet' some of the facilities- or lack thereof.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Sobering stuff. Thank you, Ian.

11:00 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I'm old enough to have used an outhouse and I thought that was bad, but when I saw "Real World: Africa" and saw the holes in the ground IN THE OPEN for all the neighborhood, I really freaked out. Who knew that outhouses were so civilized?

11:49 PM  
Blogger Casdok said...

I blogged about toilets today in their honor too!!

1:53 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

Interesting points.. and, yes, it's been a problem. I've traveled to some places where the facilities were less than adequate.

There should be more public facilities here, too. I got to thinking about that one day because I like to take long walks. Occasionally .. um.. nature calls.. while I'm out somewhere.

And, of course, there are very few facilities available for homeless people.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

A very timely post Ian and though humorous I do appreciate and agree with the underlying message. If proper sanitation was world wide I am certain 90% of the world's diseases would no longer exist.

7:08 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

we are indeed lucky to have the facilities we do, though we had an outhouse when i was a kid

like janice says, proper sewage disposal is urgent in the rest of the world

7:14 AM  
Blogger Belizegial said...

Happy Clean Toilet Day Ian!
I so agree, count our blessings where we can.

I'm home free today celebrating Garifuna Day (public and bank holiday)

Google that term Ian to learn more about one of our many ethnic people that make up the collage of our citizenry here in Belize.

Saludos,
Enid

8:58 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

Well I don't think it's so amusing to not have modern toilet facilities because I lived into my early twenties in a house without a flush toilet. So trust me I appreciate them now.
Amusing post but sobering too.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

I read an article a few months ago in National Geographic about the slums of India -- about thousands upon thousands of people packed into shacks and of course, no toilets. You did your business right in the open in some filthy canal.

They talked to one older lady about changes that the city (Mumbai I think it was) has planned, and about toilets -- and this lady, who has put up with the embarrassment and lack of privacy all her life, said she thought it would be selfish to have her own toilet.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

My I am out of touch these days.
Cheers

10:26 AM  
Blogger Wayfarer Scientista said...

One of the reasons I value plumbers. Because I think society needs plumbers more then it needs philosophers. If you have good toilets then you can also luxuriate in philosophers. Poor sanititation has killed more people in wars then other people did.

3:54 PM  
Blogger CS said...

Biffy?

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home