Tuesday, November 06, 2007

And all that jazz

I have a couple of friends – a father and son – who are jazz musicians. Dad, a trombonist, is/was kind of a giant of the genre. He is written up in assorted lexicons as a major Canadian musician, and also paid his dues in the London jazz clubs of the 1950s and early ‘60s, when he was with Johnny Dankworth and Cleo Laine, and also did sessions work with Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, and so forth. Big time guy.

The son, a jazz guitarist, is equally gifted and gets it from both sides. He has his dad, and his maternal grandfather, who played with Django Reinhardt, and he actually uses granddad’s guitar. A guitar that has seen a lot of smoke-filled rooms.

They (whom I shall not name, out of respect for their sensitivities) don’t have the proverbial pot to piss in. I mean, these guys are consistently broke and the odd buck they get from gigs goes towards paying the rent and buying groceries.

I once wrote liner notes for them on one of their CDs. Glad to do it. I like them and respect them. However, they had no money with which to pay me, so they paid me in CDs. Great music. They gave me 20 of them. I think I still have about 17 kicking around.

Part of their problem is, you see, they are jazz ‘purists’ and regard with disdain any attempt to popularize an often difficult genre. Dad once played with both Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts, and knew both men well from the early jazz scene in London.

“I’ve never forgiven Charlie for selling out,” Dad said to me one time. “He was a brilliant jazz drummer, and then he went to rock music. What a pity.”

Yes, I thought, I am sure Charlie is filled with guilt every time he fires up the Bentley, thinking of how he could be driving a rusted out ’85 Nissan like you.

I once told the son how I liked both the voice and trumpet of uber-junkie Chet Baker.

“Ah – a romantic,” he replied, almost disdainfully.

You see, that’s the problem with a lot of jazz and jazz musicians. They cringe at the thought of popularity – which translates into making money. They also cringe at the thought of making their music understandable to the run-of-the-mill lay audience, like me.

I once had the ‘privilege’ of interviewing George Shearing. The idea of chatting with the guy who composed Lullaby of Birdland was a nice little perk in my journalistic career.

First words out of his mouth: “Don’t ask me anything about Lullaby. I’ve come to loathe it. It got too popular.”

It’s true, I thought, you guys are all elitist sons-of-bitches who think: “How dare the unwashed public like our stuff. We only want other musicians and purists to like our stuff.”

Wendy, during a stint with the Alberta Culture Ministry (yes, the oil-patch province has such a thing) had a chance to hang out with Dizzy Gillespie one time. I was agog and asked what he was like. She told me.

“Mainly drunk. And when he was sober he was the most belligerent and arrogant bastard I think I’ve ever met.”

I have a friend who is a jazz snob. He puts on stuff that nobody else has ever heard of. Stuff by old guys with dark glasses and porkpie hats. Stuff that goes on and on for days.

If I didn’t have my few jazz/pop records that I love, I’d conclude that jazz doesn’t deserve to make money because it really sucks.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I'd love to hear them play. Maybe I could join them on my clarinet, or maybe not!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Yep, if this is what it means to be an artist, then count me out.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I don't understand the purist mentality - not only for music but for most things in life. Creating art that "strays" from an "original" is just another form of expression.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

PS: I voted for you blog!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I love jazz (the name might have given it away eh?). This being said, I don't consider myself a purist. I love the old 30s to 50s stuff, I love fusion and Bebop, Miles is god and Pat Metheny is pretty much a divinity too. Depending on the stuff, I sometimes have problems with free jazz when it gets waaaaaaaaay out there and goes from music to noise.

Where was I going with this??? Oh yeah, I think usually that "Pfft they're sell outs because they're making money at it" thing that artists who aren't making it have (I know a few of those myself, not necessarily musicians) is, when you get right down to it, envy. Their purist stance would probably shoot right out the window if they started making cash.

1:22 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I went out with a Jazz purist once or twice. Drove me to madness. He twitched like a St Vitus dance sufferer in small dank coffee holes, while execrable jazz snobs, played really obscure dark boring, endless, noise!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Ditto Dr Deb - I've never understood that mentality either - and it seems to be rearing its head more often.

2:37 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

You could so easily be talking about avant garde art!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

I love Jazz, mostly the older stuff, but I also like blues, Rock n' Roll from the 60's. Popular or not, my criteria is very simple.., do I like it or not. If not, no matter how pure I won't listen to it.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

I was just e-talking to Wendy Dager about this in terms of the writer's strike. Why are no screen writers famous like Arthur Miller or Neil Simon are famous? Because H.wood only produces what it thinks will sell... usually drivel. The creative artists aren't realy allowed to stretch, to experiment, or to freely express. they have to follow tired formula and churn out the next sequel to Rocky.
All art, music included, needs to have that pool of talent and history that is unrestricted by markets and by fame. It's the only way any art learns to move forward. I think that most jazz musicians I've known (not of such repute as our list, mind you) feel this and are proud to be in that pool, though the idea isn't usually expressed very well... nothing is expressed well after too much scotch.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

There's jazz and then there's wailing noise that hurts to listen to. Pure or not I can't stand it. And I agree, it's easy to thumb your nose at music that is popular and selling, when your own can't make a dime.

7:59 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I knew Dizzy Gillespie and did a post about him awhile ago, I can't remember when.

I knew him when I was a teenager hanging out at Birdland. He sat at our table during breaks and I never saw him drunk or rude, and in fact, he spoke eloquently of many things and was utterly charming.

It's hard to reconcile the man I remember so well with the one Wendy met.

8:57 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Jazz doesn't suck. Don't be turned off by the weird bohemian artists that want to stay "uncommercial." If you want to talk bad musical style, let's talk reggae. Sure one song is good and I love steel drums but then it's the same thing over and over again.

I think Jazz (the blogger) said everything else I was thinking.

12:10 AM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

I wouldn't be a big jazz fan but I do like Stephan Grappelli and Django Rhinehardt in the Hot Club ... Purists in ANY genre bore me. What happened to putting your own take on things ... I thought thats what artistry was all about

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home