Saturday, November 03, 2007

All this and Teresa too

So, have you ever faked it?

No, this is not one of those TMI questions about your personal life – that’s something that should rest with you and whatever significant other might have been involved in the process – this is a question about whether you have faked knowledge of something about which you know nothing.

The thought came from an article I read by a guy who had not been caught up in the Harry Potter mass-appeal insanity, who said he had never read any of the HP tomes, nor did he have any intention of every reading any of the HP tomes.

At the same time, he had read enough ‘about’ those old HP tomes to be able to speak authoritatively and sound like he was very familiar with the milieu. So far he’s gotten away with it.

So, have you ever pretended to have read something that you’ve never even glanced at or had any intention of ever doing so, what with life being short, or the grass needing cutting, or something similar?

Have you ever joined in conversation about a certain movie that really isn’t your cup-of-tea, mainly because everybody else is nattering away about its wonderfulness, and how it puts Citizen Kane to shame, and so forth?

In my case my problem is, and I’ll admit it, somewhat grudgingly, that I am a contrarian. I don’t like being told what I should like or dislike. I especially don’t like to be told to get on some trendiness bandwagon.

I’ll cite an example. When the first Godfather film came out I fought like a demon to avoid seeing it. My initial impulse came about when my vice-principal (I was teaching at the time) suggested what a cinematic masterpiece Godfather was. I thought, uh-huh. This comes from a bozo about whom it would be impossible for me to have less respect. Hence, the Godfather must be a piece of execrable shit. Then everybody else was chatting about this Coppola masterwork, glowing reviews were written, Oscars were handed out. I just dug in my heels even more, suggesting to myself “I utterly refuse to see this film – ever!”

But then I weakened in time, and I began pretending I’d seen it, just for the sake of being in the loop. “Oh yeah, the Jimmy Caan scene at the tollbooth – right.”

Eventually I weakened even more and when it came out on VHS I rented it. I thought it was pretty good. I even saw Godfather II, and thought it was pretty good, too. I just didn’t want to be told to see it.

I did the same thing with the novel Catch-22. I mastered the idea of what the title meant, and chatted amiably about the characters, but probably didn’t read it until a decade after it was published.

So, what about you? Or is it just me?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

And now, on a sadder note. I am distressed that I haven’t read any lengthy bits of journalistic grievance on the demise of Teresa Brewer. That’s too bad. I think she was worth more than a tiny sidebar.

But, that’s mainly because I remember who she was. She was a tiny singer with a great big voice. She looked like a darn cute little pixie, and then she would belt out:

“Put another nickel in …
In the nickelodeon …
All I want to hear from you is music-music-music!”


Yep, when they made little Tessie they broke the mould.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger heiresschild said...

gee, i don't even know who teresa brewer is, and i can't even fake it. on the other hand, i'm sure i've done my share of faking; i just can't think of any particular one right now. i'm almost sure the next time i do, i'll remember this post.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

I loved that song! She seemed to have a lot of life.

As to your question, while I have faked *some* things, books and movies aren't one of them. ;)

6:51 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Oh yes Teresa Brewer, what a songstress. I loved her version of "Try to believe." And who can ever forget her 1968 London debut album? Sublime. Her song "Honesty" brought me to tears. She was such a tiny little thing, with a big, magnificent voice.
Oh, and about faking knowing about something? No, never done it.
V.

9:10 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Yep, faked reading a book in high school. Treasure Island. I hated it and only read the beginning. Why was it on the syllabus for heaven's sake? I went to an all girls' school! I even wrote an exam on it without having read it, just having enough knowledge garnered from the class discussion. Well I was only 12 or 13.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Hmph. I read this post thinking "Surely I've faked something! It's just the cynical kind of thing I'd do!" Alas, I can't think of a single thing, unless one counts my years in middle management.

Thank you, Ian; you've given me a new experience to look forward to before I die.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Hermes said...

I have feaked being knowledgeable about many things in order to get through a conversation that I don't want to be longer than completely necessary. "...so then I went into Bart's over on seventeenth st. you know where I mean?" If I answer "no", I will have to sit through a description. I don't care about the decor unless the story is really good. They rarely are. But books? Only when taking first year university courses. Faking is then a requirement.

1:01 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Nope you are not the only faker!

2:23 AM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

Guilty, as charged, m'lud.

And so, why DO we do this faking thing??

Never heard of Teresa Brewer .... must pay a trip to youtube ..

4:40 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

I remember Teresa & so does Gom. We liked her music too.
I enjoyed this post, because I am just like you. I hate to be told to read/view something. I have never read a word of HP, & cant even talk the talk!
I resisted the Sound of Music, convinced I would hate it, since I loathe musicals. When I was tricked into seeing it, I hate to admit- I loved it!

11:21 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

I'm with Sylvia, I have no idea who Theresa Brewer is.

As for faking it. I try not too. I have a retention learning disability, so even if I have read or heard something, I don't always remember. I guess that does come in handy sometimes.

I went out on a first date the other night. Nice guy,, professional photographer of 40 years, architect. He was asking me about photography things, asking me what professional books, magazines, etc I have read or own. And I just looked at him. He figured it out real quickly that I haven't read any of them. He wants me to go to Borders or Barnes and Knowbles and just curl up in a chair there and look at lots of famous photographers pictures. I do believe I may need to sit still for a while and do that. He understands that I am ADHD.

He was impressed with my sunrise pictures this morning. He takes pictures of people. I can't wait to see his work. We are going out again on Wednesday.

Have an awesome night,
Carol

5:26 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I haven't faked it that I can remember...If I don't know I say so.
I remember one time putting "God only knows" to a question on a final exam in high school about a book I never read. It was not appreciated at all LOL
I liked Teresa Brewer's Sweet Old Fashioned Girl too - in fact she had a lot of hits I liked - oops showing my age now...

8:47 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I used to be a contrarian and refused to have anything to do with all the Star Wars hoopla. One Saturday my date picked me up and said we were going to see The Empire Strikes Back. I said, "I'm not going to that!" He said, "Well, I can take you back home." I said, "No, I'll go." (I lived with my parents and figured a stupid movie was better than being at home.) Well I fell madly in love with it. Then when the original movie came out on cable I watched it two or three times a day for weeks. Anyway all of that taught me that being a contrarian can make you miss out on some good stuff. But I still don't like The Beatles.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I don't have to pretend to know stuff. I know everything! ;-)

1:45 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

... except who Teresa Brewer is... um was.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

hey Ian, I've been curious about your photo blog, so I thought let's satisfy my curiosity...I like! a lot :)
ps I don't have to lie...I've read everything, hum...

3:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home