Monday, October 22, 2007

I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

I ONLY WRITES WHAT I KNOWS

I have been turning my hand to fiction writing for the past couple of months and, even though my background is factual and journalistic, it’s been an interesting experience. I am actually very pleased about where I am so far. My only problem is an almost obsessive impulse to make my protagonist a variation of ‘me’ in one form or another.

In conversation with a couple of successful novelist friends, both maintained it’s virtually impossible to not be somewhat autobiographical. “You write what you know,” was the basic opinion. “The person you know best is yourself. With others, you can only guess from observation.”

It has been said, in that context, that Hemingway’s women really sucked because they only came from the perspective of his ‘macho dude’ persona. Yet, novelist Wally Lamb, with She’s Come Undone successfully wrote a tale of the trials and tribulations of an overweight female, and he carried it off so well that female readers couldn’t believe the book wasn’t written by a member of their own sex.

I mean, I really, really like women (too much, a few times in my past), but I am not so sure I could second-guess the psyche or motivations of females, even ones I know very well. I don’t think I would have been married three times if I was completely in tune with the way women think.

At this point in my writing process, I’m unsure of exactly the direction my book is going to take and that, of course, is part of the adventure. But, I do want to include some ‘rounded’ other characters, and I also want to include some events with which I might not have personally experienced. I’ll let you know how I do with that. However, I have decided, for the sake of veracity, to confine myself as much as possible to that which I either know or have experienced.

So, I can write about:

- Having been divorced and remarried
- Having seen a dead person
- Having had a friendship (non-sexual) with a prostitute
- Watching a person go through heroin withdrawal
- Making love in the moonlight on a Hawaiian beach
- Being drunk
- Smoking pot – many years ago, and like Bill, I DID NOT inhale
- Having been in an adulterous relationship at the time of my first marriage
- Having been shot at (nothing to do with the adulterous r/ship)
- Having lived in the UK
- Meeting assorted so-called ‘illustrious’ people
- Having traveled fairly extensively
- Riding the London Underground
- Having been embedded by the police to join them in a drug raid for the sake of a story
- Riding in a jet fighter plane (way cool!)

And lots more during my years on the planet. But, you get my drift in this regard. By the same context, I would find it difficult to add an entirely truthful flavour to the following:

- Having murdered someone
- Having robbed a bank
- Using IV drugs
- Being in a war zone
- Having a homosexual encounter. Not that there’s anything wrong with it, as Seinfeld said, just not within my proclivities
- Travelling in Asia or Africa. Haven’t been to either -- yet
- Suffered starvation
- Been raped
- Been in prison. OK, once, when I was young and foolish, I was in jail for 12 hours (horrible experience but, hey, ‘material’). But, that’s not quite the same as the ‘big house’

Likewise, I could go on and on with this list. But, I think you get my point.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger laughingwolf said...

you will be part of your protagonist, your antagonist, and every other character you introduce, just because you are the writer, and there is no alternative... unless you opt for a co-writer

so 'fake it til you make it', and don't worry about it overmuch

like some other things, it does get a bit easier in the doing, and re-doing

12:20 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I sure understand this Ian. If you find the secret let me know.
I'm the same way with poetry. I have a good imagination but I can only apply it to my own personal experiences. I have tried making something up out of the blue or even after much research but I am never happy with how it reads. It doesn't seem to have the same pizazz that makes it a memorable piece. A "Dante" I will never be.

12:57 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I find it very hard to write 'fiction' without personal flavour.
I am sure I could never write a novel without me in it.
Who am i kidding, - I am sure I could never write a novel, full stop!

1:55 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

Looking at your list of experiences, I think you've got the basis of a rip-roaring good yarn right there! Sex, drugs, tropical beaches, prostitution, jet pilots and police officers... Now just add a wee dash of imagination to cover the bits you haven't (yet) experienced, and you're on your way to a great novel!

2:45 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Yep, I'm with Kimber the Wolfgrrrl. Many of the experiences you haven't had sound well worth avoiding. The rest sound like grist for as many novels as you have time to write.

Many, many, many authors make their protagonists a variation of themselves, thus the famous saying to the effect that "to write is to be caught with one's pants down in public". (I'm sure I've paraphrased this somehow.)

There are many people who wish to "have written", to have a best-selling novel, million dollar advances and air time on notable talk shows. On the rare occasions when I go to parties, I invariably bump into a couple. They have great ideas - do you remember the novel "Elfstones of Shaharra"? Yeah, their book is along similar lines, except that it's going to be about Troll Coals instead, and set in a place called Snaharra. Why - they already have the map of Snaharra drawn, so writing the book and selling it should be a snap!

There aren't very many people who actually go through the process of writing, though. The fact that you are doing so is admirable.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

While you may not have 'experienced' many of those things, isn't it possible to write about such things because you are a person who can 'put himself' in anothers shoes?
Well, I don't know. Don't listen to me, a published author I am not!
(It just seems to me that people who are observant and sensitive to things might be able to do that.) And by 'people' I mean you!

5:52 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

I admire writers who can write convincingly about something they are not. But I can't do it. "Write what you know" is solid advice. So... do something you've never done before once a week. Then, you have a much larger repertoire.

7:54 PM  
Blogger CS said...

Did not inhale. Uh huh. No one bought it when Clinton said it, either, so I wouldn't include that one in your writing.

But otherwise, I think it definitely makes sense to write form your expereince to make it more believable.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

You were in jail for 12 hours!
Oh, that made me chuckle :-)

I hope all is well with you and yours. I've missed everyone.

8:35 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

OK, I'm in for the first autographed copy. Interesting experience I'm sure after all your previous writing.

11:17 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I could only help you with one of the things on the last list, but I'll not say which.

As for murdering someone, you can make up anything you'd like because most murderers are not readers. The worst that could happen would be that you'd get a letter from prison saying,
"You dum stoopid jurk. It ain't like that at all."

11:59 PM  
Blogger Casdok said...

I had to laugh at your mention of the London Underground!!!!

5:19 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Tell me, in your book will your character ride a jet fighter plane to the London Underground where he will see a dead person while smoking pot - but not inhaling?

6:47 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

I've taken stabs at fiction over the years and have found something very similar: that the only decent stuff I wrote had variations of me as the protagonist. Fortunately, we all have so many layers that coming up with different characters can't be all that hard, but I can't authentically tap in to something I haven't felt.

Also, I'd love to hear the answer to jazz's question! ;)

4:43 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

The list of things you've experienced and can write about is really well rounded. I am doing Nanowrimo this year so we'll see what comes of it. My character has some things in common with me, but she's really a composite of a few folks I've met over the years. There are some things about my character that I don't particularly like.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home