Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The race will go to the slick

If I’ve learned nothing else in my few years on this planet, I have learned this: The fix is in!

Doesn’t matter who you are or what you do, or what philosophy or faith you adhere to, the fix is in and accolades, plum jobs, contracts, awards and so forth will go to people that other people in positions of influence have decided should get the strokes. Those who labor in the ranks will largely go unrecognized and unlauded.

What, for example, of the nuns who toiled away in festering Indian communities in the cause of Mother Theresa? Mother T. got the hype and the face-time, but Sisters Cecelia, Marie-Celeste, and Bambi (well, there may have been one called that) went unrecognized.

As another example, were you really remotely surprised that Porky Al Gore won the Nobel Peace Prize? Do you think Hillary Clinton had to change her undies when she soiled them after hearing the news? Scatological cheapshot notwithstanding, I had to wonder about this, just considering the guy just might try now to get the Democratic nomination, despite the fact he (sort of) lost to a ‘loser’ one other time around.

At the same time, I remain perplexed about him winning the prize he did. I mean, it’s the ‘Peace’ prize, for heaven’s sake, not the ‘Flavor of the Moment’ Prize. In this I do not take from Gore’s quest to save the world from ‘us’ and he has raised some points that must be regarded with the utmost seriousness, despite the fact he is not (stress ‘is not’) a climate scientist. But, he is big news at the moment, so he slipped in quite effectively in a global competition that has become in recent years something of a popularity and political contest, rather than a genuine award that truly recognizes those who have made great strides in the direction of global peace, or science, or medicine, or literature. Otherwise, how does one explain those who write in Finno-Ugric or Basque winning the literature prizes? “Great books and understandable to at least nine people worldwide.”

At least, that’s what I think.

It has been said that the world consists of B-students working for C-plus student managers who answer to C-minus student corporate bosses. Not saying I agree, but certainly not saying I disagree. Just think about some of the people you have either answered to, or continue to answer to.

When I worked in the school system I saw rampant and flagrant examples of accolades and rewards going to a certain inner circle – an inept and untalented inner circle as often as not. That was because those who made the promotion decisions were ‘slap-you-on-the-back’ group of philistine ex-jocks. So, who was to be named to a principalship? You got it, and it wasn’t the studious English or biology teacher who was a master of his or her craft and to whom students remain grateful to this day.

At my wife’s high school, the vice-principal was a well-known ex pro football player.

“He was a moron,” says my wife. “And worse, he was obnoxious and self-impressed.”

But, he was a jock old-boy. Even better, he was a ‘name’ jock old boy.

All bureaucracies are rampant with these inequities of Peter Principle in action. Government agencies are required, for example, to advertise executive job opportunities. Good little drones from the ranks send in their resumes in hope of moving on from wherever they happen to be. Yet, why should they bother? Those in the position to make the decisions have already decided who will get the position, so the job posting was just pro-forma bullshit.

Do I say these things out of bitterness? Not a bit of it. But I say tem as a reflection of one of life’s little realities. A reality that makes me happy that I work for myself. I can praise myself or indict myself as I see fit.

As a final thought, especially if you are inclined to get overly exercised about rewards going to the undeserving, remember that there is absolutely no mention in the Bible or other Holy Books about “fair.”



Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

I heard that Doris Lessing was outright rude when awarded the Nobel prize for literature this year. Yeah, I know, it wasn't the Nobel prize for good manners and diplomacy, but still...

4:36 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

Inappropriate hiring and promotion practices? Favoritism and imbecility in the upper echelons of the school system? In THAT district? Nooooooo. Neveeeeeeer (sarcasm is implied in case there was any question). I thought about arguing here but then I really did think about all the bosses I've ever had. Not many A students on that list I assure you. I was a B.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

'Flavor of the Moment’. You put how I was feeling about the whole thing into the sentences I wasn't able.
Thanks Ian!
In a world where so many strive for (just to name a few) the cure for cancer, literacy, feeding children and on and on, why is it that Mr. Gore walked away with the prize?
Yeah, you summed it up so well.

7:58 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

It's okay, maybe you'll win it next year.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

I'm just another working stiff, way too familiar with the Peter Principle in the civil service. But I have to say I am thrilled that Doris Lessing got the literature prize this year. Her "Children of Violence" series about a young woman (Martha Quest)coming of age and to social awareness in South Africa are my favourite books.
V.

10:37 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I think it was terrible that Al Gore got the Noble Prize for Peace for his no doubt political stance on global warming. Wasn't there some big environmental prize out there he could have been rewarded with. It cheapens the whole process in my opinion.

11:47 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

gotta say you are right on the money with this, ian

it's all about the 'politics' and 'how can we get more for ourselves?'

nepotism is unsavory, yet continues to run rampant, despite protestations to the contrary

5:06 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

I appreciate the comments about Doris Lessing and the literature prize. For once they got it right. Like others, I am a big fan of her writings and have been for years.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

I mentioned in my comments that if the Nobel Prize committee really wanted to recognize someone who brought environmentalism to the forefront of our consciousness, it would have gone to Rachael Carson. Yeah, she made headlines, but she wrote a very eye-opening book as well.

The Peter Principal is a bit different; some you mentioned were promoted past their competence.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Indeed, what is fair?

8:32 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

It's kind of sick really; here is a man who talks the talk but sure as heck aint walking the walk.
Let's look at this more closely:

Gore's house is NOT a green house. It is a 10,000 square foot mansion with no energy savers installed, no recycling, no anything.

Bush's house has every energy saving item ever thought of. He uses 75% less energy than his neighbors. He also has added 11 extra acres to his property in order to protect a nearly extinct warbler.

And Gore won the Nobel Prize - hmmm.
Makes you wonder doesn't it?

8:34 AM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

Boy, do I agree with you on this! The Nobel Prize is losing its luster these days.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

This all makes sense this week as I am applying for a new job to use my new skills and I think what I can offer, but am not getting anywhere - yet.

11:28 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Hi Ian,
I have always wondered how some people kept their business'. Down here especially. And the fact that they are not in jail for embezzlement. I have never seen such blatant crooks. My saying is "SLIME FLOATS SOUTH"
Political appointments are just that. No confusion there. I can't get a job because I don't have a full college degree and speak Spanish. Let us not forget that I have over 30 years of Customer Service skills, trouble shooting, problem solving, a great employee with a work ethic.
Now down here a work ethic is almost unheard of. On my last job a manager actually asked me why I came to work, always on time, never called in sick and actually worked. He had found out that I was married to a DR. Now I was rather confused as to how he got his job as a supervisor. Talk about inept. A definite C- there. I guess it goes with the territory.
I won't even touch the Al Gore's of the world. I live in Florida. Al Gore made a mockery of our state and wouldn't just give in gracefully. Craziness for sure. I do believe he would have made a bad choice for President after all. But who know's.
I personally have no desire to live my life under a microscope like that.

Have an awesome day.
Carol

11:40 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

I agree so much with what you have said here.
I was disgusted when I heard that Gore had been awarded a Peace Prize. For goodness sake!! I have ranted on about it, as I dont see him in any way a peace promoter. Climate change yes, but I also suspected that his motives were less then admirable there, initially. How come he never voiced his opinions before, while in political spotlights. I am too cynical about politicians.
What do they say- the meek shall inherit the earth?
It should read, the mediocre shall inherit!
I try to stay away from politics now, since i got burned over it, but we see things from a different perspective perhaps, down here.

BTW, when I leave the comments here, I always get an email telling me my email could not be delivered?

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home