Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Living in a beehive gets wearing on me


As I write this I am sitting here in our Victoria apartment. I haven’t been here in more than a month. That has been a good thing. There is nothing wrong with this apartment. It’s in a nice building with all sorts of pleasing features, like a swimming pool, great management, cleanliness, lovely neighbors, and so forth. But, it’s still an apartment. About three hours up the road we have a lovely house with wonderful gardens, a big yard, a garage, and I find the place to be my haven. No, apartments don’t do it for me.

When I was young and foolish, as opposed to being older and arguably still foolish, I fancied the thought of living in an apartment. Especially an apartment, or loft, or garret in some cultural centre of the universe. It would probably be in London, since London is my favorite ‘big’ city in the world, and also the people speak English. There are those who would opt for Paris, but not I. That’s mainly because I don’t speak French all that well. And, having traveled in France, I know that the French, even if they are fluent in English, ‘will not speak it’ no matter how hard I struggle with their language. Of my pains in trying to parlez, they really don’t give a shit (donner une merde?). I’m not saying I blame them, it’s just that it adds extra pressure to life.

Anyway, in my romantic fantasy of those days, it wouldn’t have mattered if the apartment was a sty, with no hot water, and roaches the size of cocker spaniels, it would have been mine and the concept was a romantic one. It would be all kind of Breakfast at Tiffany's and I would have the George Peppard role.

I have, since those early adult musings, lived in apartments at times. Those times all to often having been based on some wife or other having told me to depart the premises of whatever home we were living in. So, I’ve lived in crappy apartments, and very nice apartments. Nice is better, no question. My last ‘bachelor pad’ was very cool. It was splendidly appointed, my furnishings were nice, and people would come to call, especially lady people, and exclaim how impressed they were with my décor, the fact I always had fresh flowers, and a fine array of books, and lots of good music. Marvelous nest for seduction no doubt, and even a successful one on a few occasions.

But, it was still an apartment. It was confining. My cat used to wonder constantly what was behind the ‘big door’ that he wasn’t permitted to venture though. It was, of course, the outer world. An outer world that could only be attained by wandering down a long corridor and then taking an elevator down a few floors until one reached the outside entrance. In other words, if I had to go out, even fleetingly, it was a bit of an ordeal. One had to decide if one really wanted to go out, or if whatever minor item one was seeking could wait until the next day.

So, when Wendy and I got together, a first order of priority for us was a ‘house’, a genuine house with four walls and an outside that was just right there. A house with no neighbor noise of tramping feet or rearranging furniture or apparent 10-pin bowling taking place in the flat above. But now, due to work pressures, we have to divide our time between that cherished house, and this place.

Living in a beehive has lost its romantic allure.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Beautifully written, Ian. I concur. While I sometimes miss the *idea* of an apartment, I don't think that I would ever actually prefer it again over a house.

12:44 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

"Garret" always sounds so romantic, but I dispise living in little hidey holes, no matter what they're called. Now that I'm in a house, with land and trees and no one stomping around in big boots upstairs, I can't imagine going back to having neighbours on all sides!

I hope your Thanksgiving was a happy one, Ian!

12:44 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Oh, and it's still me. I'm just having fun playing with all the images again. :) So fascinated, I am. You'd think I was a kid again.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

p.s. I also can't miss the opportunity to say how funny it was to sandwich the wolfgrrrl's comments. Now if that's not the universe working for us, I don't know what is. What are the chances?

1:39 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Ian, I don't think I could live anywhere without a garden. It is a joy of mine, though I spend too much time on the computer instead of weeding. I just love being out in the fresh air, and being able to sit outside and read my papers with a coffee, or glass of wine.

3:07 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

What is it with the bowling alley noises? My daughter lived under a flat with those noises, & we could never work out what the heck was going on.
I much prefer to live in a detached house, with our own yard.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

The last apartment I lived in (Vancouver) had an 80 year old woman living above me...talk about lucky!

Interestingly, I always found the hall noises comforting....like I wasn't alone in the city and had other people near. Just in case.
(My neighbours were nice. Again, lucky!)

Though I LOVE the house I'm in now, that's for sure.

7:37 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

My crappiest apartments/flats were in none other than Victoria and London!

8:27 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

The one advantage to apartment living, oh wait I just thought of another. Okay there are two advantages to apartment living:
1) If you live on an upper floor you can keep your windows open in nice weather without worrying about some freak climbing in.
2) The free maintenance

But yeah, that's it.

10:49 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I have the very same feeling about apartments that you do Ian.

I did live in the apartment in London for almost two years and it was the garret under the roof, on the third floor, sharing a bathroom, a totally shabby expensive place, putting shillings in the meter and freezing before the tiny gas fire in winter. You didn't miss much and it wasn't romantic.

Then I came to Canada and lived for a year in a very modern apartment at Kitsilano Beach. I hated it. You had to get dressed to go for the mail, you couldn't play music at even a normal level without someone complaining, you had to go down to the park to touch your feet to the grass and earth. You had no control over the thermostat.
I'll probably live in one again I know but I won't like it near as much as living in a house.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Its interesting how our thoughts change over the years.

1:19 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

yes, no question, a house is preferable, but i have to adapt to circumstances, and they dictate my current apartment life

it's a huge place i share with my son, and no big deal to sneak off into the bush at the end of the parking lot

never having been to london, i'd opt for nyc, since i still know a number of folk there

4:55 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

I can't live in apartments comfortably either. It's mostly due to my strong aversion to being exposed to other people's musical tastes at ear-shattering levels. I value quiet. :)


Peace,

~Chani
http://thailandgal.blogspot.com

6:53 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

My ideal home would be a little log house on an island somewhere with a creek nearby and a mountain somewhere...come to think of it all I'm missing right now is the log house. Apartments are great when you are single but after you have lived in a house it's just not the same anymore even if you do have to mow your own lawn.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Bibi said...

Excellent! I am so with you on the beehive. When I used to look at other condos over the way, I always thought of Jethro Tull singing 'monkeys in the jungle'.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

they really don’t give a shit (donner une merde?)

Actually it would be ils s'en foutent being the verbe form of foutre, which in colloquial French (France version) means sperm (or rather a collquial variation thereof - your choice).

1:22 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

This being said, I love living in our appartment in the city and spending my weekends in the country. The best of both worlds.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home