Saturday, September 29, 2007

We're all lovable screwups in our fashion

A popular term in the realm of counselling, psychology, social work, and other related fields in recent years has been ‘dysfunction’ and the related term ‘dysfunctional’, mainly used to describe a behavior, or a being who is, to state the case (clinically, of course), a fuckup.

My online dictionary defines dysfunction as follows:

dys·func·tion also dis·func·tion
n. Abnormal or impaired functioning, especially of a bodily system or social group.

Yep – fuckup.

When I was addiction counseling I tended to use “dysfunctional” a lot in reference to clients. And, it is true that at certain levels they were dysfunctional. Their addictions to drugs, alcohol, gambling, sex, got in the way with their ability to cope at the mundane levels that applied to work, domestic tranquility, social responsibility, financial common sense, honesty, cooperation, and so forth.

Yet, at other levels, they were often highly intelligent, and especially creative. I had Native Indian clients who would turn out carvings that they bartered on the streets in return for a quick fix or cheap jug of wine. Carvings that should have been earning them thousands. But, they were dysfunctional in their inability to see that cause and effect. I had other clients who painted, who wrote, who turned a sterile rehab centre into a bit of a garden paradise. I was often amazed – and impressed.

But, why should I have been amazed. One area of their lives was messed up. The rest were intact. I also realized that all of us have our own areas of dysfunction – some not so bad, and other worse. I knew that I did, and I knew that I had also successfully addressed a lot of my own dysfunctions (albeit, they’re like scar tissue, they never really go away). It is only when a dysfunction comes to control all other behaviors that it becomes an individual, domestic, and sometimes a societal problem.

Yet, that said, I want go go back to creativity. I recall how comic Jonathan Winters (an admitted recovering alcoholic) once said he was loath to go into treatment because he was afraid of losing his comedic chops. It was the disinhibiting aspects of booze that led to his anarchic humor. Fortunately, he did quit the stuff, and continued to prosper in his realm.

A few years ago Jungian analyst Linda Schierse Leonard wrote a fascinating study of addiction and creativity called Witness to the Fire in which she pondered the connections between artistry and, OK, dysfunction, and cited how many who are addicted suffer the same fears that Winters did.

And, if we consider some of the great creative minds of all time, we can appreciate the fact that many of our most profound thinkers and artists were not entirely ‘functional’ and you just might not want to have them around to tea. At the same time, at what loss would we be if they hadn’t done what they did, despite being dysfunctional, in any conventional sense. Consider the following:

Kris Kristofferson: Brilliant mind, gifted songwriter (Sunday Morning Comin’ Down reveals a lot about the guy), as well as being a West Point graduate and a Rhodes Scholar, he was also for years an unrepentant drunk and drug abuser.

Albert Einstein: One of the great minds of all time, yet a lacklustre student and also a chronic womanizer. Yep, lovable old Al was a skirt-chaser, E=mc2 notwithstanding.

Dylan Thomas: Every coed's favorite poet, and gifted indeed he was, and everybody loves ‘Fern Hill’ and ‘A Child’s Christmas in Wales’. He was also a repulsive, out-of-control drunkard who stole from his friends, screwed around on his equally alcoholic wife, and snuffed it at 39.

Eugene O’Neill: Arguably the greatest American playwright was a chronic alcoholic for years, though he did get sober. At the same time, he likely never could have written The Iceman Cometh or Long Day’s Journey Into Night if he hadn’t been mightily messed up at one point. Same applies to Tennessee Williams.

Jerry Lee Lewis: The man was always a walking, talking mass of dysfunction at all levels, yet he was arguably much more pivotal than Presley in that he wrote and arranged his own stuff. And, damnit, the ‘Killer’ is still performing.

John Lennon: In my opinion the true creative force behind the Beatles (Paul was the ‘cute’ one), but an admitted chronic alcoholic and drug abuser, as well as having been a wife abuser in his first marriage.

Then again, George W. Bush also had problems with the old demon rum, but dysfunction doesn't always lead to creativity, I might add. Just sayin'.

Otherwise, I could keep on going with this, and so could you. My point being only that maybe we are too quick to consider people dysfunctional, and should maybe look more at what they gave, and in some cases continue to give us, without being too quick to judge. Ask yourself if all your perceived dysfunctions are necessarily negatives in your life.



Labels:

22 Comments:

Blogger meggie said...

Very insightful Ian. I suspect some addicts use the addictions of other, creative addicts, as a justification for their own addictions. I am citing my son here. He liked to point out all the gifted writers, who were addicts. But as I pointed out to him, he never wrote a book, or achieved any distinction, other than addiction.
I sound harsh, but like all mothers, I still love him dearly.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Interesting Ian. I once had a four year relationship with a recovering alcoholic. He got sober long before I met him, but still attended AA meetings regularly. I often went with him, at least to the "open" meetings. Many of the people I met there were brilliant raconteurs when telling their stories. There was always a lot of laughter. I loved those meetings!

1:21 PM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

A lot of the concept of dysfunction comes from a very narrow definition of "normal" behavior. Example: I can not cope with workplace cultures. So much so that I am disabled.

But... there are also many things I do well.

I no longer drink. If I found myself in those environments again, I would be drinking like an alligator.

The thing is that we would all be better served by looking at what people have to offer and not so much their deficiencies. We all have deficiencies.


Peace,

~Chani
http://thailandgal.blogspot.com

2:04 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Good post Ian. Brilliance and genius have always been considered to be on the edge of normality, so maybe they are more prone to being dysfunctional since they are already pushing the envelope. You could also add Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix to your list of those creative, dysfunctional individuals.

2:59 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

You raise some excellent points in that we are all uneven and excel in some areas while being dysfunctional to varying degrees in others.

There does often seem to be a relationship between addiction and creativity, but I dearly hope that those of us who are not addictive personalities can still scrape up a bit of artistic talent.

I agree that Lennon was the brains behind the Beatles. I knew Yoko at one time, but never met John.

Target has been featuring "Hello, Goodbye" in all their commercials lately, and every time I see one I think of how he would feel about that.

3:18 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

A friend of mine is a chronic alcoholic. She came back from a very fancy and pricey facility. 8 months later. She was right back were she was before rehab. She is mostly drunk, sometimes dries herself out for short periods of time and has seizures when she detoxs herself. She lies, her husband is leaving her again. I don't blame him. She's been incoherent and non functioning for 9 out of 13 years. He will continue to support her, etc. But he can't handle it anymore.
Now her definition of FINE is:

F = fucked up
I = irrational
N = neurotic
E = emotional

I've had my own issues with abuse. And I feel like to have kicked it. And it's my choice to not regress. I like who I am. My kids like who I am. And I will NEVER take a job again that drives me so nuts that I come home from work and have a drink or pill to calm down. Nor will I be in a relationship that would drive me there again.

Dysfunction is in every life. No matter how hard we try. But it is called life. Just think how boring our life would be without some dysfunction

Have an awesome weekend.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Excellent post Ian. I had more to say but lost the internet and my comment in this wind storm so I'll leave it at this.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Meggie: You raise a good point about justification for addiction. I don't think you sound harsh, but I do think you sound honest, and that is the only way loved ones can survive with those who continue to perform.

Voyager: Recovering alcoholics are most often wonderful people, and AA is a fantastic organization. Why they're wonderful is that in order to stay sober, they must do the personal work that so many others neglect to do. A touching post. I like you even more.

Thailandchani: I agree about the narrowness of our definition of what is normality. Again, you sound like a person who knows herself and where you must and must not go. That is both strenght and wisdom.

Big Brother: I am certain there is validity in what you say, and that many other emotional and psychological influences are present in the addicted. As for Joplin and Hendrix, definetely. I could have added many more to my list.

Heart: Oh, of course, it is not necessary to be dysfunctional in order to be brilliantly creative, and there are countless examples of those brilliant and creative people who haven't fallen victim to abuse of any sort. Likewise, most in recovery continue to be able to express themselves with huge talent. So, going back to Meggie's observation, it's often used as an excuse.
As an aside, I am most interested in the fact that you used to know Yoko. I'm going to have to ask you about that sometime.

Beachgirl: Yes I well know that definition of FINE, and we used to throw it at clients regularly when I was doing recovery work. How very sad about your friend and her unpreparedness to go that extra mile to get her life back. Has anybody ever considered an intervention? They actually do work. Otherwise, she sounds like my mother, who died of alcoholism. Oh, and good for you for living the life you now lead.

Janice:Thank you for your kind thoughts and visit and yes, it's quite a storm out there, isn't it? First big one of the season, I'd say.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

Interesting. The first post of yours I read was the one you said you would have chosen to be Augustine. And now this. I just had a conversation with a bloke writing a book on what he thinks that Auggie would have said about addictions. Chance, or universal design?

7:38 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

A very interesting post Ian and you have obviously though a lot about this topic.

When the word dysfunctional came into common usage I realized that I had been brought up in a dysfunctional family. All those years I knew there was something wrong, not alcohol, but emotional dysfunction. Now here was a word that could sum it all up for me.

Those are some extremely dysfunctional examples you have used here.
regards
jmb

11:06 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Might I add:

John F. Kennedy

Ernest Hemingway

Tennessee Williams

Judy Garland

Errol Flynn

Edgar Allan Poe

And I'm sure I've missed many.

12:19 AM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

Ask yourself if all your perceived dysfunctions are necessarily negatives in your life.

when it comes to my family, yes.

1:20 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Hi Ian,
Her family has tried everything. Her older sister died of the same disease a few years ago. Thats when she got really bad. Her parents finally fessed up and said which side of the family it came from. 2 of their 3 daughters will more than likely die from it. How sad. she had her own graphic design firm for over 20 years and lost it due to her drinking. Now the husband is leaving again. I do believe this time for good. Thank God she didn't have kids.
The sad thing is she's been my best friend since high school.

5:29 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

yep... how does that old saw go: there's a very fine line between genius and insanity?

and who, really, can say which is which in all cases?

we all have flaws, some of us have more glaring ones than do others....

6:50 AM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Interesting thoughts.

Just surfed in here and will be back again.

8:01 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

A thoughtful and insightful post....

12:01 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Ian, There's a great book by a colleauge of mine, Kay Jamison called "Touched by Fire". It talks about mental dysfunction and the dilemmas both good and bad that come with it. It is a great read and I think you'd like it.

~Deb

4:20 PM  
Blogger Bubbie said...

Great post. I'm wondering if it's because creative minds have to get past internal and external censors to be able to produce and show their work to the world. To put themselves out there, and dare to be different they may feel a need to bolster and sheild themselves with drugs and or alchohol.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Wonderful!!
And thank you!

3:37 AM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Reading this was a tidy bit of serendipity. Lately I've been trying to make my peace with Jean Shepherd. He was, to my mind, a brilliantly funny writer. However, it also turns out that he was a crappy father. Finding out the latter was a shock. It altered my perception of him so much that I could no longer stand to read his writings.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

My family growing up: eccentric, yes, dysfunctional, no.

Whew. Looking around, I was pretty lucky.

9:41 PM  
Blogger CS said...

You can't point to George Bush as being normal in any way - he's a true across-the-board fuck-up. But other than that, I think clearly most of us have our areas od screwed-upness - just some to a point where it outweighs what's healthy.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home