Friday, September 21, 2007

St. Augustine and me -- we're good buddies

Blogger heartinsanfrancisco made an offer the other day in which five questions had been given to her and her objective was to respond to the five. I like things like this, and she stated in her blog that if anybody else wanted to try they should contact her and she would pose devise five custom-tailored questions for each individual responding.

I bit. I like being interviewed and, even though I’ve done a similar exercise to this in the past, I was game to try again. Therefore, here are my responses to the questions heart gave me. If you are interested, let me know and I’ll devise five questions just for you.

1. In a successful life of professional writing and many close relationships, what do you consider your greatest achievement to date, and why?

Interesting mix here of both professional and personal attainments. How to approach this? In the first place, I would wish I had been more persevering in my writing life. I think I could have gone much further. At the same time, I am pleased with the work I still turn out and I also think I write more effectively now at this age than I ever had before. Part of the reason for that, I believe, is that I’m not quite so ego-involved I know I’m a good writer, by any standard. So, if some bubblehead wants to reject a submission then, well, fuck him. It doesn’t detract from my skills, it would be his problem.

So, I think my most satisfying attainment with my writing was a series I did on the illicit drug scene in my community close to a decade ago. From that series I won a major provincial award, was the inspiration for establishing a community drug strategy committee, and made me decide to turn my hand to being part of the solution and become an accredited addictions counsellor, just so I might know more about the problem from another level.
That said, however, my most satisfying writing endeavor was my weekly newspaper column that ran from 1977 to 1996. My column was like a beguiling mistress and I never knew what she would bring me.

Now, at that personal level in terms of relationships. I think my greatest attainment in that regard, without question, has been and continues to be my marriage to Wendy. I think I finally got it right. I have had two marriages and sundry lovers over the years, but Wendy is the frosting on any cake. She is my comfort zone and that really has meaning.

2. If you were going to meditate in a cave for a year and could take only one book with you, what would it be?

I toss up in this one between the Bible and the Complete Works of Shakespeare. I’ll opt for Shakespeare, not because I’m a pagan, but because the Bard answers virtually all questions about everything. So does the Bible, but Shakespeare is a little more poetic, with the notable exception of the ‘Song of Songs.’ The Bible rules with that one.

3. Pretend you have a crystal ball and describe the circumstances of your life in five years.

Well, I hope I’ll still be on the upper side of the lawn because I kind of like life. I hope I’ll be healthy and dynamic, have all my marbles, still love being a lover, and be in the same relationship I am now. I’d like to have published a book, and to have traveled to a few more places, to have learned the answers to a few more questions, to have made some renovations to the house, and to have felt that the previous half decade had been a fruitful one.

4. Since you have traveled extensively, what is your absolute
favorite place on earth? Explain why.


This one is very difficult to narrow down. There are three places I’ve visited that I genuinely loved. One is the southwest of England – Devon, Cornwall and Somerset; another is the west coast of Ireland; but finally I have to opt for my beloved Island of Kauai. That is my ‘soul’ place. I know that deep within my heart. When I go to Kauai it is just like going home at all levels. Why? The climate, the zephyr-like air, the azure waters, the wonderful jungle of the Hanalei Valley, the reef fish and the fact that the dawn "comes up like thunder."

5. If you could go back in time and be the historic character you most admire, what might you do differently to produce another result? Example: If I were Marie Antoinette, I would give the peasants bread.)

This one is truly difficult because first I have to decide if there is any historical character I like and admire enough that I would want to be him. I assume, being male, I have to be a ‘him’. All that considered, I think I wouldn’t have minded being St. Augustine of Hippo. In the first place, I would ultimately get to be a saint. Also, I could be a tearaway in my youth, get thoroughly laid and often – Augustine once prayed to God to grant him chastity – “But not yet!” You have to like that in a guy. But, eventually, Augustine was able to categorize the conflict between the temporal and divine worlds and to create an agreeable compromise in which the goodly could enjoy the fruits of both. Eventually I would be named one of the great philosophers of all time. Not a bad acknowledgement. Something Don Quixote was unable to do a few hundred years later. At the end of the day, Augustine would have been more at home with Sancho Panza than Don Quixote. What would I do differently? I think I would have stolen a fruit I liked more than peaches when I was a kid and then my larceny would have offered an even greater bonus than just the sin of theft.

So there you have my meandering responses. If you want to do this, too, just ask me.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Ian, these are wonderful answers to my questions. Thank you.

I was sure that your relationship with Wendy would take top honors in its category, and I agree that anyone who doesn't like your writing has a problem.

After I sent you those questions, I realized that my example of Marie Antoinette implied that I admired her. I do not, just to set the record straight. That was poor editing on my part.

Your counseling work with addicts has surely made a huge difference in many lives, of which you should be quite proud.

I also think that Hawaii is heavenly, or as close to heaven as I have experienced. And I do want to experience the real Heaven, but not yet, to paraphrase St. Augustine.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

This was a great meme and you answered the questions carefully and informatively. Wonderful Ian!

PS: Song of Songs was the first tune I learned to play on the synthesizer/piano organ I had many moons ago. I love that song.

5:57 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Great post as usual Ian. You handled the questions admirably (and they were good questions for you). I wish that I had read your column all those years. Any archived anywhere online?

St Augustine sounds like a very good choice for you and I'm very glad that after a few detours (from which no doubt you learned a lot) you finally got your happy relationship ending.
regards
jmb

6:19 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Kauai is very special to me too Ian.
Your answers are so thoughtful and I feel like I know you a little better. Thank you.
V.

10:49 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I've been to Hawaii. Is it really better than Rarotonga? I don't know why, but that seems to surprise me.

1:03 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

on this last day of summer, i take comfort in knowing i'll get a good read and graphic[s]whenever i visit your blog... you never disappoint

4:18 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

Great answers...I love learning more about you. :)

I'll answer if you'd like to interview me.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Bibi said...

Love the response to the bubblehead. ;-) Devon and Cornwall are amongst my favorite places ... my mom and sis used to live in Rebecca Du Maurier country (Fowey and surroundings).

Interestng that your work started the drug awareness campaign ... good when things like that happen!

I'll play if you'd like to interview me. Be nice! ;-O

10:45 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

Enjoyed your thoughtful responses.
You do write so engagingly.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

Just dropping by for the first time. Hope you don't mind. I liked this list and would agree on the appeal of Augustine but I don't know if anyone would want to be him... except for the immortal renown part. He was never satisfied, always questioning. Even after conversion, he still felt compelled to understand free will, the existence of God... he never just accepted the mystery and lived. I'll warrant he wasn't always happy. Still, being known forever as a "pillar" of Christian and Western thought might be worth a lifetime of unanswered questions.

4:51 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

i like your meandering responses. i want to do one too. ask away!

5:33 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Fascinating. My boss was in Hawaii all last week, and I was thrilled for him and longing for it myself. There is something truly magical about those islands. We need more soul filling, don't you think? Thanks for such a lovely glimpse into your life.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

i am new to your blog and your answers were a great way to get to know you. have a wonderful weekend!

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home