Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A veritable plethora of meanderings







Yesterday morning we gassed up the car in Bellingham WA and the fuel was a mere $2.92 a gallon. Here it runs around $1.05 (or more) for a &%$#$@ litre. Why is that? Furthermore, why is it in &^%$#@ litres to begin with? Oh, I know why, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. That's one of the reasons, among many others, why I like traveling in the US -- it's like a retro trip for me -- a retro trip to a certain sanity that used to punctuate my youth. Maybe it is no more sane in essence, but for me it is. Gallons and miles. That I can reason with and I don't have to convert. Ah -- just like the old days. Only problem is, the car's speedometer is in kph, not mph, so I still had to do some converting. I know why our system is so galling. It's all to do with the repulsive, evil and utterly unlamented (at least in the West) Pierre Trudeau. But again, that's another matter.
Anyway, we are home again, and that always fills me with mixed feelings. I mean, I love my home, and I love having had a fine vacation and being home safe-and-sound with nothing nasty or scary having intervened. But, at the same time, being home means being back to reality. Vacations are always an altered universe.
We spent our last days of any substance with a drive around shoreline of Upper Klamath Lake, and it was quite beautiful, as shown. And, we finally saw pelicans. White pelicans. And they are huge, and boast wingspans of up to 10 feet (or three metres for those who might be obsessive about metric). I'd been disappointed on the coast because we saw no brown pelicans -- other than the corpse of one that was being handily devoured by a group of cadaverous seagulls. So the white pelicans made up for that.
After leaving the Klamath area we headed through the mountains and out to the Interstate where we forged forth for the state capital of Salem. Salem is a very nice town. We stayed for two nights, and I could have easily welcomed more nights than that. At one point we took a wrong turn while we were in Salem and ended up driving past the state penitentiary. The same penitentiary that once housed one Randall McMurphy before he faked loopiness in hopes of getting into the state mental insitute, also nearby. The tale is, of course, all told in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, since Salem was once the home of that wonderful old beatnik and hugely talented writer, Ken Kesey. So, it struck me that Salem was a good place to spend a little time.
Anyway, it's a very nice town -- not too big and not too small, and it boasts one of the finest smaller art galleries of my experience. I wrote a few weeks ago about the abomination that is the Victoria Art Gallery, and how it cost us $12 a pop to see exhibits I wouldn't normally spend two bits on. The Salem Gallery's entry fee was -- free. Just for that day. It was homecoming weekend, so there were freebies all over town. Normally it costs $3 per person, and with that you get a multifaceted array of exceptional art. Most enjoyable for us -- an age thing I guess -- was two galleries devoted to Fillmore West music concerts from the late 1960s. This was psychedelia triumphant, and did you know you could actually go to hear the 'Dead' or 'Big Brother' for about $5 a ticket back then? I didn't.
We left Salem and drove north. We thought we would reach the border too late in the day for an easy crossing, so we stayed in Bellingham, a few miles south. It was just fine. Added to which, I was very familiar with the area since my aunt and uncle had a beach cottage a few miles from Bellingham when I was a kid, so I spent many summers in that 'hood. Again, just like going home.
The drive from Seattle north on that pentultimate day was actually quite nasty, with pelting rain and the Interstate absolutely cluttered with cars, and punctuated by the incident with the semi that threw a wheel off somewhere along the way and it bounced mightily among the cars which frantically braked in the rain. Amazingly, and blessedly, it hit no one. If it had, our journey home might have turned out quite horribly different.
So now, here I am, and I have to get some work done. Why, oh why don't I win the lottery?

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

Love your travel tales!
Great pictures, too. I may have to make my way down there some day. Thanks for a glimpse of Salem!

11:19 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Beautiful pictures and commentary on the sights.

Gasoline (petrol for you Canadians) is over $3/gallon in the Bay area and has been for months. It's obscene.

I'm afraid I know more about Margaret Trudeau than about Pierre, so I need to do some research. Let's face it, he never dabbled in rock stars commando-style, so he didn't get much coverage (um) in U.S. newspapers.

"A wonderful bird is the pelican,
His mouth can hold more than his bellican."

Ogden Nash

1:07 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Tai: You should make that trip. It's well worth it and you'd love it. We took the early Coho from Victoria and were in Cannon Beach (my favorite town on the coast of Oregon) by 2 p.m. not a bad outing.

Heart: Actually, we call it gasoline in Canada, only petrol in the UK. Ah yes, 'Commando Maggie', I'd forgotten about that. That's not like me. And thank you for one of my favorite bits of O. Nash doggerel.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

You'd be great writing for travel magazines Ian - everything is always so interesting the way you tell it. Beautiful photos too. We took the I-5 a few years back through Oregon and California and the 101 back and thoroughly loved that trip. It's beautiful country for sure.

1:30 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Beautiful scenery Ian. Very nice of you to share your travels.
Ah if we could only win Lotto, we could come to see Beautiful Canada!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

I'm with you on the lotto Ian. I always get a sense of let down on arriving home at the end of a journey. I am glad the wheel incident was not worse.
V.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Humm gives me some ideas for a future trip. Thanks for the travelogue Ian.

7:10 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

really beautiful pictures ian. i love going away, but i'm always glad to be back home. there's no place like my home. why, oh why, didn't i win the lottery also?

8:55 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Hey, it's too soon to be lamenting being home. That's usually a good week later. But I totally get you on that. I miss the ocean so much and that was nearly a month ago. Well hey, at least you have the memories.

9:47 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Lovely photos Ian. Thanks for sharing your wonderful respite from work with us.
On my recent trip to the East Coast of the US I saw gas at $3.19 a gallon to $2.39 a gallon, within a two hour drive. Sadly the $3.19 was where my daughter lives.

regards
jmb

12:16 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Oh, come now Ian, the metric system isn't all that bad. Much easier I think. At any rate, at least, unlike the imperial system, it's logical. I'm sure the whole world can't be wrong since the US is still the only holdover.

Oh, and for the record. Quebec hates Trudeau too. With a vengence.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Yes, back to reality. In our case here in the UK, the stores are filling with Christmas cards and mince pies.

I love those holidays where you take a wrong turning and have an adventure. The blue in your lack photo was incredibly inspiring.

8:02 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

wb safe n sound, ian n wendy!

i'm with you on the metric forced on us by p.e.t., and still have probs converting to weights and measures i grew up with, even if 10 is an easier number to fractionalize than 12, etc [a recent poll places him as the most HATED canadian, ever, according to cbc polls]

great end of tour pics and comments -- now -- get back to work! :P lol

11:57 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Ah, you hit my sentiments right on the head. The coming back from vacation is difficult. Not so much so that I wouldn't like to *go* on vacation to avoid the disappointment of the return, but still. I had more vacation in my old job and long for more than my measly 10 days off. I know I should count my blessings . . . but still . . .

Great post, Ian!

9:35 PM  
Blogger بروكر said...


I definitely love this site.
https://prokr2020.livejournal.com/
https://prokr2020.cms.webnode.com/khdmat-brwkr/
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/prokr2020
https://www.prokr.net/ksa/jeddah-water-leaks-detection-isolate-companies/

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home