Saturday, September 01, 2007

Dream along with me ...

Welcome to my nightmare!

I know that’s not original, so I must acknowledge Alice Cooper. Consider yourself acknowledged, Alice.

But, welcome, nevertheless. I will begin with an apology. Sometimes when people describe their dreams to one, one realizes in short order that the dream is more interesting to the dreamer than it is to the listener. But, here goes, anyway.

I dream quite vividly, and in color. In this, however, I am not going to look at the mundane dreams, but will look at exceptional dreams, more specifically, nightmares. And most specifically, one particular nightmare. But first I want to find out whether others have experienced a slightly different dream phenomenon, and that is one known by various names, but commonly, the ‘waking dream.’

Waking dreams are those that lose the surreal watermarks of conventional dreams, but instead offer a logic and scene so vivid that the dreamer finds it difficult to differentiate the dream from reality.

I have had two or three of those, if I recall, with the most recent being the most noteworthy. Here goes:

It was a few weeks after my second wife and I had split. I had moved to an apartment. I was in a state of considerable distress. I had no desire for the marriage to come to an end, despite the tension-fraught months leading to the split. I thought we could work things out. I still believe we could have if the will had been there. It wasn’t – on her part. It wasn’t until later I realized that I was just another bit-player in her relationship legacy. But, that doesn’t matter.

Anyway, I was highly distressed to have been ejected by a woman I loved deeply, and her daughter, whom I parentally adored. I slept one night. And then, there I was, back at the house we shared. I was there to pick up some clothes that were still in my closet. She let me in, through the garage door (I don’t know why). The house was in semi-darkness. I recall her saying little to me. I passed by the living room and my stepdaughter was sitting and staring into space. She didn’t acknowledge me. To make a long story short, I got my stuff and I split, with a feeling of great depression. All around, indoors and out, was dull and dingy, suiting my mood. And then I was back in my own bed in my dreary little apartment. I was utterly confounded because everything had been so realistic; people, time, place and movement. I could have sworn that it had really happened, and it remains in my mind that it was virtually a real event.
South Sea islanders believe our dreams are real, and they are just another aspect of our lives.

The nightmare I mentioned was one that took place when I was about seven. It’s only notable that after so many years, I still remember it with absolute clarity. I am in the basement, at my father’s workshop. He is labouring away on some power tool or other. He has bought me a dog. A black and white sort of Springer spaniel pup. It’s very cute, and I loved dogs. I am happy they have got me a dog. I go to leave the workshop when the dog’s face assumes a fiendish bearing and it reaches out with some sort of hand-like appendage and grabs my ankle. The dog is under some basement rubbish and is trying to drag me under the rubbish. I am terrified. I call to my father for help, but the machinery noise makes him ignore me. I drag myself to the basement stairs, with the dog still holding me, laboriously move up the stairs and look around the corner. My mother is in the kitchen, chopping vegetables. I cry out to her, but she seems oblivious and ignores me, just as my father had. The dog drags me down the stairs.

At that point, I guess I awakened, in stark terror. Terror enough that my dream scenario still is with me. You could read all sorts of psychological origins into that dream; fear of rejection being the most prominent. Rejection by parents who were rarely demonstrably loving, and therefore never earned my trust. Truly they didn’t, but that’s a whole other story.

OK. So there are my dreams. If you have had any notable dreams or nightmares you’d be willing to share, I’d like to read about them. If you've had the same ones I had, now that wouild be really nightmarish.


Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger laughingwolf said...

would your's be deemed 'lucid dreams', ian? quite a lot of info on them online, and elsewhere

the ones i recall, are those of 'flying/swimming/floating' in the air, and at times i'd wake up, on the floor, bedsheets wrapped around me

i had heard 'hitting the ground' in such a dream meant death, so i deliberately willed myself to, and succeeded... in 'hitting'... but found it a lie about dying

yeah, a weird duck i was, still am

9:47 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Yes, LW, lucid dreams would be the other term -- which escaped me while I was writing. Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out.

9:51 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Wow. How realistic. In all my dreams I'm wearing pyjamas to school.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Ian, I was struck by the pain in your writing about the ending of your marriage. Thank you for your honesty.
My nightmares are all about finding myself naked in public. Freud would have a field day.
V.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

My dreams are a constant source of puzzlement and strangeness to me.
I recognize that extreme feeling of 'having actually done that' when real like things occur in a dream.
The worst is waking up furious with someone because of a dream.
Or crushed by sadness. I hate that.

6:46 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I have suffered nightmares all my life, since I was a little child.
I've often done the flying ones and naked in a room of clothed people but some much worse.
You've certainly suffered some emotional trauma in your life. I'm glad that finally has turned around. Cherish that wife of yours.
regards
jmb

8:03 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

By the way Ian, I see you got your sidebar all sorted out. It looks great. I just took my voting thing out, since August has ended. No cash prize for you or me.
regards
jmb

9:19 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Ian, I had a constant nightmare/dream when I was a child. I was coming home from school, on foot. I crossed the road to a huge Crab Apple tree, that was growing on a lawn. A huge white cow came out to terrorise me, & I sought refuge in the house. The house was occupied by a school teacher whose son was there - he was a classmate. His mother was not present. I had this dream/nightmare many times, & was soooo terrified of that huge white cow! I can still remember every detail of the tree, cow etc.
I think I am somewhat of a 'lunatic' because I have vivid dreams around the time of the full moon every month. And at times I talk or moan in my sleep, in a very distressed manner. GOM tries to talk to me, but is unable to rouse me.

2:10 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

I have dreams where I know that I am dreaming and I tell people that I'm dreaming now and your in it..Hope that makes sense.

6:33 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I used to dream that Mom had sent me to bed without supper and then would give me bread porridge while they ate steaks. (I hated bread porridge)When I pleaded for anything else she coldly turned away. It seemed so real I'd wake up with a start and for a few moments not know where I was. Though I haven't had that dream for years I still get a touch panicky if groceries run low and somehow feel it is related to always being sent to bed without supper as a punishment when a child. If parents only knew how their actions affect young children so severely.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

Over the years, I have some of the most horrible nightmares that you could possibly imagine. I have been hunted down and attacked in every possible way and by every possible nightmare being.

I think my brain likes to watch horror movies while I sleep to amuse itself.

7:58 AM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

well ian, i've been trying to read this post for over an hour. when i started reading, i decided to fix a bowl of cereal to eat while reading. when i went to the kitchen, i decided to wash dishes. after that, i fixed my bowl of cereal, came back to computer, started reading about your dream, and dropped the bowl of cereal all over my desk, carpet, and myself (note to self: no more eating at the computer).

so i've finished cleaning that up, will wait to eat breakfast until i finish reading the blogs, and here i am once again.

i have a certain dream every time there's going to be a death, either in the family or someone i know. eerie, i know, but i seem to have no control over it. it just comes; not often, i'm glad. it would be interesting to know the interpretation of all these dreams.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

what a wonderful blog you have here. you write beautifully. i wandered over here from wizard's blog.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Ian,

I lost a previous post, so any good thing I said is now lost with it. I love the honesty of this post and know that people with big hearts and deep feelings suffer more for them. I had nightmares for many years until I went through a PTSD therapy that helped immensely. I also thought, as I read your post, that I wish I were more versed in dream interpretation. What I couldn't help but notice was the word "dog" over and over. Jon taught me to turn the letters (or numbers) around to see if they were significant. I couldn't help but notice that dog spelled backward is God. Could there be anything there? I truly believe that our dreams are messengers, so I send you all my sympathy for a life that is imperfect and sometimes filled with more pain than we think we can bear. At the end of the day, though, I'm thankful to have a heart that feels, even though it has cost me dearly at times. I do believe that I also get to feel more joy because of it. Here's to you and the journey.

Love and light,

~ Angela

12:31 PM  
Blogger CS said...

With true lucid dreaming you should have some control over the outcome. It appears to be a phenomena where you maintian some obserivng ego during the dream process - where you are not just a passive viewer of the dream.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

My worst dreams started when I stopped taking the pill. Since then - 9 or so years now, almost every time I have my period I have the most bloody awful dreams. Literally. Usually I wander around in rivers of blood, hacking people to bits - and taking great pleasure in doing so. Me, the type of person who lets flies out of the house in order not to kill them. At first I'd awaken in stark terror. Now, I sleep through 'em like a baby. Sometimes I wonder what that says about me now. Mostly I just blame the hormones.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home