Sunday, August 26, 2007

So, here's what I did


I shamelessly stole this from East Coast Dweller, primarily because I was at an impasse and I sometimes find these self-revelations interesting. They’re interesting to read and interesting to write. So, I lift this from him, and add my own input. Would love to read more from others.
What I have done:
Traveled to Hawaii, across Canada by train, the length of Washington, Oregon and California, Mexico, the Cook Islands, England, Scotland, Ireland, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Austria. .
Seen in person 60s flower child singer Donovan (twice), Audrey Hepburn, Dog the Bounty Hunter, the entire cast of Lost, Alec Guinness, Alan Bates, Joan Plowright, Glenda Jackson, and sat at a pub table with English comic actor Leslie Phillips. Oh, and had breakfast in a café in Kamloops, BC that was also occupied by ‘50s B actor Rory Calhoun who sat there chainsmoking the entire time.
Written three books. One I may not try to get published (I’m uncomfortable with some of the personal stuff as yet), the second I want to make some changes in, and the third will be jobbed to potential publishers possibly this week.
Once had a desire to read every classic of literature ever penned, but have since narrowed down my focus. There’s only so much time, folks, and far too little time for Proust.
My greatest art rush ever was Michelangelo’s David in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence. Literally took my breath away.
Have about 40 photographs filed somewhere consisting largely of close-ups of Queen Elizabeth. The advantage of being ‘press’ on a Royal Tour.
Sat in a pub in Norwich, England with a widely published cartoonist (Playboy, Penthouse, Punch) whom I admired. We drank far too much beer and had a ‘draw-in’ He told me he wished he could draw girls who looked as sexy as the ones I drew. I was flattered.
Had lunch with actress Kim Cattrall.
Learned to identify wild plants in my locale during walks with my woodsman grandfather too many years ago, when I was a child. I can still identify many of them.
Once nearly stepped on a scorpion fish at Poipu Beach on Kauai. Almost drowned there, too as I merrily snorkeled, not realizing I was on an outflowing tide. When I finally looked up the island seemed to be almost disappearing over the horizon. I kept my wits, refused to panic; finally made it back to shore.
Have toured a high security prison (not as an inmate), and decided after that I would always obey the law. They are frightening places, and the staff was nearly as scary as the inmates.
Have traveled on 40 different airlines during my lifetime. The best was the now defunct Canadian carrier, Wardair. Made even better because I was once overtly propositioned by a Wardair flight attendant. Talk about ‘champagne service.’ The worst flight was Pan Am, Heathrow to Seattle in 1981. It was so surreal it would make a Salvador Dali painting look like Norman Rockwell.
Once stood at a urinal stall next to former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien. We had a nice conversation and we both looked at the ceiling.
Have worked as a welder’s helper, a millhand, a high school teacher, a reporter, an editor, an addictions counsellor and a freelance writer. They all ‘worked’ for me in their own way.
Have been welcomed to the Hotel California in Todos Santos, Mexico. Such a lovely place.
That’ll do. To say more would be ‘telling’.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger meggie said...

Wow, what a great post Ian! I loved it all.
The 'famous people' from my past are mostly NZ TV personalities, who are unheard of outside of NZ. haha.
You mentioned you live quite near Diana Krall. Have you seen her sing live?

12:07 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I've never met any famous people. And those I do see I don't even recognize until someone says "Hey! that's ...."

7:29 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

you have been quite the globetrotter, ian, worked some interesting jobs, and rubbed elbows with good folks and bad....

8:37 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Well you certainly cannot say your life was ever boring Ian. Great post and now we know a wee bit more about you ;)

9:56 AM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

you're accomplished quite a bit. very interesting life.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Great stuff! Cinematic in many ways.

I greatly admire the fact that you have actually written three books. Many people wave wine glasses around at parties and airily proclaim "I want to be a writer!" What they really mean is that they want to have written, to have a best-seller magically appear without breaking a sweat or having to sell the damned thing to a publisher. It's a rare person who actually conjures words out of thin air and pounds them down onto paper.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

What a lovely journey you just took us on. Thank you so much! I love how you intertwined your grandfather's teaching with lunch with Kim Cattrall.

2:52 PM  
Blogger ticknart said...

My geek sense is tingling and I have to know: Was it Kim Cattrall pre- or post-Lieutenant Valeris?

11:57 AM  
Blogger ticknart said...

Thanks for answering my question, Ian. I bet she had a few "Get a Life" moments at the conventions she went to. I hope she had some fun, though.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home